View Poll Results: Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 20.61%
  • No

59 45.04%
  • It's complicated.

45 34.35%
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

With the Emma is a home wrecker mistress label I have seen here on x-books. I don't think it is fair to Emma at all.

I read the first volume of morrison's run again after like 10 years. My own take on the Cyclops/Emma/Jean triangle is simple. Cyclops was already over Jean. I believe after cyclops came back to the x-men, he had an emotional shutdown and with that, him and jean stopped connecting, while I think he still loved jean, he was not deeply in love with her anymore.

Cyclops was over Jean before he started that therapy with Emma. if it was not emma he started an affair with, it would have been somebody else maybe Psylocke or Wanda.

People are blaming Emma for the break down of the jean/scott marriage but if cyclops really and still loved jean, emma would not have been a threat to them.

I know some will say he still chose Jean in the end before her death but to me, it was out of guilt and loyalty than of love. He would have stayed with Jean and wondered daily of all the possibilities he and emma could have had as a couple.

It was good he got with emma even if their relationship started in a despicable way.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-11-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Of course not, he still loves her to this day and never forgot about her.

this is why I disliked scemma, it all started and depended on hurting Jean and Jean/Scott.
    Scemma can't look cool if Jean and Jean/Scott don't look bad.

I don’t think Scott will ever be “over” Jean. But I do think that he was ready to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    With the Emma is a home wrecker mistress label I have seen here on x-books. I don't think it is fair to Emma at all.

I read the first volume of morrison's run again after like 10 years. My own take on the Cyclops/Emma/Jean triangle is simple. Cyclops was already over Jean. I believe after cyclops came back to the x-men, he had an emotional shutdown and with that, him and jean stopped connecting, while I think he still loved jean, he was not deeply in love with her anymore.

Cyclops was over Jean before he started that therapy with Emma. if it was not emma he started an affair with, it would have been somebody else maybe Psylocke or Wanda.

People are blaming Emma for the break down of the jean/scott marriage but if cyclops really and still loved jean, emma would not have been a threat to them.

I know some will say he still chose Jean in the end before her death but to me, it was out of guilt and loyalty than of love. He would have stayed with Jean and wondered daily of all the possibilities he and emma could have had as a couple.

It was good he got with emma even if their relationship started in a despicable way.
    If you just read New X-Men in isolation of everything that came before and especially everything that came after, I can see how this conclusion might be reasonable. It's clear however when looking at the totality of the relevant material, that Scott never got over Jean. A fact that Emma herself first suspects aloud on more than one occasion and outright confirms to the Kitty in Phoenix Resurrection. This question is now no longer open to interpretation, if indeed it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Of course not, he still loves her to this day and never forgot about her.

this is why I disliked scemma, it all started and depended on hurting Jean and Jean/Scott.
    Scemma can't look cool if Jean and Jean/Scott don't look bad.
    if he loved her, why did he so easily cheat on her. so easily. Even Gambit has never been so easily unfaithful to Rogue and rogue and gambit were beyond dysfunctional. on again , off again. scott and jean made it down the isle. they were that once committed to eachother.

Basically at the end of the E is for extincction story, I know this for sure as I just finished reading it not that long ago. Jean asked scott, if emma has been behaving herself. scott replies why and jean said, she wanted to ask because emma has been on his mind. BINGO

this is before the psyche affair started. Infact I think it was the first time scott and emma share conversations in new x-men and it was nothing romantic or even flirty. So in way, cyclops was over Jean because Emma was already on his mind before the affair. Jean ofcourse read nothing to it as she still saw Scott as a loyal husband when he had already subconsciously checked out of the marriage.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-11-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Depends what you mean with "over Jean". They were already in a bad place, the affair with Emma isn't 100% responsable for their relationship going downhill. But as others have said, he never stopped loving her.

No not when Emma was dressing up as Jean to get close to him in the beginning psionically. I think Scott is a little obsessed with Jean personally but it's to be expected. If a telepath has to control themselves not to read minds just imagine how deep they can get into your mind and soul without even trying during moments of intimacy. Scott probably be close and subconsciously wanting it to be good a telepath may instinctually augment that release. Personally i'd be scared to date a telepath, i would think i would be all caught up in the game. Once you go telepath you can never go back.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I find it hard to believe he was "over" his wife. He had issues, sure, but what marriage doesn't? Especially a super-powered one. I love Scemma, but to take away their unsavory beginning is to take away what made Scemma so interesting. Saying they started their love through an affair isn't entirely wrong, and that's fine. I liked that Scemma began through an affair. It turned into something real as time went on.

You can split hairs on the affair being telepathic, but that's the point.

Some people just don't like how it started (despite being one of the most interesting developments in X-Men in years) because it hurt their favorite imaginary character's feelings Poor Jean and her fictitious universe fell apart!
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

if he loved her, why did he so easily cheat on her. so easily. Even Gambit has never been so easily unfaithful to Rogue and rogue and gambit were beyond dysfunctional. on again , off again. scott and jean made it down the isle. they were that once committed to eachother.

Basically at the end of the E is for extincction story, I know this for sure as I just finfished reading it not that long ago. Jean asked scott, if emma has been behaving herself. scott replies why and jean said, she wanted to ask because emma has been on his mind. BINGO

this is before the psyche affair started. Infact I think it was the first time scott and emma share conversations in new x-men and it was nothing romantic or even flirty. So in way, cyclops was over Jean because Emma was already on his mind before the affair. Jean ofcourse read nothing to it as she still saw Scott as a loyal husband when he had already subconsciously checked out of the marriage.
    This happened before Jean mentioned Emma was on his mind, this is comes off as flirty...
    8EC50B3B-1789-4F40-85CD-901B8932F5DF.jpg
    B0026F87-458C-4078-AEF5-501797339AFF.jpg

Basically at the end of the E is for extincction story, I know this for sure as I just finfished reading it not that long ago. Jean asked scott, if emma has been behaving herself. scott replies why and jean said, she wanted to ask because emma has been on his mind. BINGO

1-He didn't easily cheat on her, he didn't even had sex for real or any contact or relationship with Emma until Jean died.
    2-And he kept thinking of Jean all this time. Didn't he kiss her over Emma lately?

I know the entire of Scemma was build upon sabotaging Jean/Scott but lets be real for a moment.

I enjoyed all the times Emma became jealous because Scott clearly wasn't over Jean, please don't ignore that

On their mission, Emma goes to his room with wine and tries to seduce him and Scott tells her that it's Jean or nothing. Now, I'm not saying that's definitive proof but I don't think Scott was ever considering cheating on Jean with anybody and don't forget, he first went to Emma to work on his marriage to Jean. I don't believe he did easily cheat at all. Emma couldn't convince Scott into anything sexual until she told him "You be Scott and I'll be Jean" while wearing the Dark Phoenix costume. Their entire roleplay was Scott and Jean, down to Emma telepathically giving herself red hair. So even if he was no longer in love with her, he was hung up on Jean even while with Emma during Morrison's run.

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    1-He didn't easily cheat on her, he didn't even had sex for real or any contact or relationship with Emma until Jean died.
    2-And he kept thinking of Jean all this time. Didn't he kiss her over Emma lately?

I know the entire of Scemma was build upon sabotaging Jean/Scott but lets be real for a moment.

I enjoyed all the times Emma became jealous because Scott clearly wasn't over Jean, please don't ignore that
    I would argue to a telepath a psychic relationship is far worse than an actual physical sexual relationship.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

It takes two to tango!

Scott chose to engage in an affair with Emma. It was not like Emma was hiding who she was psychically, she was role playing because she likes to play a bit kinky. But in the end Scott could say NO! He's a big boy, he can say NO and then go back to his wife. He didn't do that, he chose to keep doing the psychic affair with Emma behind Jean's back. The only reason Jean found out at all was because Esme told her in the hopes that Jean would hurt Emma. Esme also sold it in a way that played up Emma's role in the affair because Esme wanted Jean angry enough to potentially kill Emma. She was setting Jean up to take the fall when later Esme herself shot Emma, because Esme was setting it up so that Jean would be the one accused of the murder / attempted murder. Esme didn't factor in how powerful Jean was getting with her TK and connection to the Phoenix force and Jean was able to restore Emma's shattered diamond form and restore Emma.

When Ghost Jean and Emma were talking about it, Jean mentioned how it was one of the most horrible times of her life, and Emma admitted how much she was in love with Scott even at the beginning. For Emma it was one of her happiest relationships.

It's all perspective, Emma is to blame for chasing a married man, but the married man is to blame for wandering in the first place and for encouraging the attentions of the other woman. Scott did nothing to discourage Emma's pursuit, he was flattered by it, like most men who have affairs are.

Jean and Scott as a couple had serious communication problems and their marriage was crumbling apart because they wouldn't talk to each other. Jean was constantly trying to get into Scott's head because she was becoming paranoid (the Phoenix was contributing to this of course) and Scott just shut himself down and wouldn't talk about what happened to him. In the end they probably would have only stayed together if they finally wised up and got couples counselling together and not separately.

So yeah, the whole thing is complicated. There is blame to go all around when a relationship falls apart and an affair occurs. None of them are evil, they are all just human beings who have trouble expressing their feelings properly. I will analyse Emma for a second and wonder if she rushed into the affair with Scott so she wouldn't have to deal with the emotional trauma of what happened in Genosha. So she tried to focus all her feelings on a new relationship instead of trying to deal with all the pain she felt witnessing those children being killed.

If Jean had lived I am not sure any of them would have ended up together. Emma and Scott may have tried to make a go of it, or Jean and Scott may have tried to get back together and then broken up at some point. Personally this is where bad editorial comes into play, there was a decision by the editors to bury Jean, because they didn't want to do a story about a crumbling marriage and the emotional repercussions of the affair. That's why no one is satisfied with the outcome because there never was any real closure for this storyline, instead of Jean and Scott and Emma figuring things out, the story just killed Jean off, it was a cop out, and a way to avoid writing the full repercussions of what happened.

At least they didn't have Jean and Scott make a deal with Mephisto to forget their relationship, that would have been even more ridiculously stupid (cough.. Peter and Mary Jane).

My last word on this was that they shouldn't have killed Jean, they should have actually played out the entire story and everything that spun out of it. They could have done a story where Jean leaves the X-Men for a time and joins the Avengers to get away from Scott and Emma. Eventually Scott and Emma decide it's not working and break up, Scott works really hard and reconciles with Jean, or they don't, maybe Jean decides to date Logan for real. There are so many stories that could have been explored and Jean could have easily stayed alive the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    It takes two to tango!

Scott chose to engage in an affair with Emma. It was not like Emma was hiding who she was psychically, she was role playing because she likes to play a bit kinky. But in the end Scott could say NO! He's a big boy, he can say NO and then go back to his wife. He didn't do that, he chose to keep doing the psychic affair with Emma behind Jean's back. The only reason Jean found out at all was because Esme told her in the hopes that Jean would hurt Emma. Esme also sold it in a way that played up Emma's role in the affair because Esme wanted Jean angry enough to potentially kill Emma. She was setting Jean up to take the fall when later Esme herself shot Emma, because Esme was setting it up so that Jean would be the one accused of the murder / attempted murder. Esme didn't factor in how powerful Jean was getting with her TK and connection to the Phoenix force and Jean was able to restore Emma's shattered diamond form and restore Emma.

When Ghost Jean and Emma were talking about it, Jean mentioned how it was one of the most horrible times of her life, and Emma admitted how much she was in love with Scott even at the beginning. For Emma it was one of her happiest relationships.

It's all perspective, Emma is to blame for chasing a married man, but the married man is to blame for wandering in the first place and for encouraging the attentions of the other woman. Scott did nothing to discourage Emma's pursuit, he was flattered by it, like most men who have affairs are.

Jean and Scott as a couple had serious communication problems and their marriage was crumbling apart because they wouldn't talk to each other. Jean was constantly trying to get into Scott's head because she was becoming paranoid (the Phoenix was contributing to this of course) and Scott just shut himself down and wouldn't talk about what happened to him. In the end they probably would have only stayed together if they finally wised up and got couples counselling together and not separately.

So yeah, the whole thing is complicated. There is blame to go all around when a relationship falls apart and an affair occurs. None of them are evil, they are all just human beings who have trouble expressing their feelings properly. I will analyse Emma for a second and wonder if she rushed into the affair with Scott so she wouldn't have to deal with the emotional trauma of what happened in Genosha. So she tried to focus all her feelings on a new relationship instead of trying to deal with all the pain she felt witnessing those children being killed.

If Jean had lived I am not sure any of them would have ended up together. Emma and Scott may have tried to make a go of it, or Jean and Scott may have tried to get back together and then broken up at some point. Personally this is where bad editorial comes into play, there was a decision by the editors to bury Jean, because they didn't want to do a story about a crumbling marriage and the emotional repercussions of the affair. That's why no one is satisfied with the outcome because there never was any real closure for this storyline, instead of Jean and Scott and Emma figuring things out, the story just killed Jean off, it was a cop out, and a way to avoid writing the full repercussions of what happened.

At least they didn't have Jean and Scott make a deal with Mephisto to forget their relationship, that would have been even more ridiculously stupid (cough.. Peter and Mary Jane).

My last word on this was that they shouldn't have killed Jean, they should have actually played out the entire story and everything that spun out of it. They could have done a story where Jean leaves the X-Men for a time and joins the Avengers to get away from Scott and Emma. Eventually Scott and Emma decide it's not working and break up, Scott works really hard and reconciles with Jean, or they don't, maybe Jean decides to date Logan for real. There are so many stories that could have been explored and Jean could have easily stayed alive the whole time.
    Yes... the problem with editorial on NXM was that they killed Jean, not like say anyone's personalities or anything. These characters are so consistent with their earlier portrayals! How did Jean and Scott last as long as they did?!?

Relationships hit rough patches. You get sick of people. You get complacent and forget to show affection. That is not at all the same as "being over" someone.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.