View Poll Results: Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 20.61%
  • No

59 45.04%
  • It's complicated.

45 34.35%
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Except 2 of the 3 got to live happily every after in wonderful love & sex while the other was killed off for 14 years.

For a group of 3 who all did wrong things, Scott & Emma were glorified & rewarded as Marvel's new Iconic Couple.
    These are fictional characters, not real people. Sometimes characters do not get their just desserts. Doesn't make the story bad. Scott and Emma were not "rewarded" anymore than Jean was "punished" for what happened. Because you can't reward or punish fictional characters. You can only write them.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Killing her for more than a decade is a funny way to say they cared.
    And I swear I saw a tweet or something linked where a fan asked Joe about resurrecting Jean, and he replied that Scott was doing just fine with Emma.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Killing her for more than a decade is a funny way to say they cared.
    Morrison was writing X-Men comics for more than a decade after that and was deliberately working to keep Jean dead?
    Cool, where are they?

Seriously though, dramatic things happening to characters in a dramatic soap opera superhero fantasy series is hardly a sign a creator dislikes a character or doesn't care about them. He established the Phoenix Egg in the very next story and that she couldn't be permanently killed. He couldn't have made it easier for Marvel to bring her back ASAP if he tried. Take it up with Quesada, who likely would have found another way to kill her permanently if he so desired.

And I swear I saw a tweet or something linked where a fan asked Joe about resurrecting Jean, and he replied that Scott was doing just fine with Emma.
    That's just Quesada though.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    These are fictional characters, not real people. Sometimes characters do not get their just desserts. Doesn't make the story bad. Scott and Emma were not "rewarded" anymore than Jean was "punished" for what happened. Because you can't reward or punish fictional characters. You can only write them.
    And they were written as an iconic & spellbinding love that everyone is supposedly supposed to root for despite that story being the destruction of a perfectly good relationship & complete ruin of another character who was killed off for 14 years so another could take their place.

Lets not get pedantic with "oh these are fictional characters." Everyone knows that. Doesn't change the point that supposedly 3 characters screwed up, but two of them were written as getting away with it with no consequence & treated as flawless heroes in love. lol

And the way things are written does make a story bad for some fans. Especially when you have some characters they always get away with everything & NEVER getting a just dessert.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Morrison was writing X-Men comics for more than a decade after that and was deliberately working to keep Jean dead?
    Cool, where are they?

Seriously though, dramatic things happening to characters in a dramatic soap opera superhero fantasy series is hardly a sign a creator dislikes a character or doesn't care about them. He established the Phoenix Egg in the very next story and that she couldn't be permanently killed. He couldn't have made it easier for Marvel to bring her back ASAP if he tried. Take it up with Quesada, who likely would have found another way to kill her permanently if he so desired.

Exactly this. The majority of the blame lies with editorial, and specifically Joe Quesada.

And they were written as an iconic love with a spellbinding love that everyone is supposedly supposed to root for despite that story being the destruction of a perfectly good relationship & complete ruin of another character.

Lets not get pedantic about everything with "oh these are fictional characters." Everyone knows that. And the way things are written does make a story bad for some fans.
    When did any of that happen?

The very next story arc (Astonishing), Scott is telling Emma to shut up and publicly berating her. Hardly Romeo and Juliet.

Their relationship all the way til the end was shown as 50% passion and 50% strain.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Disgusting guy all around, the problem is that it is Jean, Cyclops and Emma who have to carry the responsability of his mistakes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Disgusting guy all around, the problem is that it is Jean, Cyclops and Emma who have to carry the responsability of his mistakes.
    Jean's alive and they are all on polygamy island now, I think they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    When did any of that happen?

The very next story arc (Astonishing), Scott is telling Emma to shut up and publicly berating her. Hardly Romeo and Juliet.

Their relationship all the way til the end was shown as 50% passion and 50% strain.
    There was also Endsong which apparently was all about Scott loving Emma over Jean and Scott's comment about cheating on the redhead with the blonde who's everything he needs. Then making out with the blonde over the redhead's grave. Then a story being written that the world would be doomed if Scott didn't continue shagging Emma. lol

There may be more, but like Spuffy, Scemma is something I skimmed enough to be sick of and could never support given the start of it. Then my petty side takes over, and I like seeing a writer stick it to the ship and shoot it down the way Morrison completely screwed up Jott for no reason. I am not even a Jott shipper, but I gotta say their relationship was just fine until Morrison screwed it up to start pushing Emma into Jean's spot. Emma was much better in generation X than in Morrison's run, imo.

And they were written as an iconic & spellbinding love that everyone is supposedly supposed to root for despite that story being the destruction of a perfectly good relationship & complete ruin of another character who was killed off for 14 years so another could take their place.

And the way things are written does make a story bad for some fans. Especially when you have some characters they always get away with everything & NEVER getting a just dessert.
    You and I must have been reading different comics, because the X-Men books I read saw Emma as pretty consistently the object of scorn, disapproval at the least, from the rest of the X-Men, and Scott gradually, steadily being portrayed as more and more extreme and villainous, up until the point where they were painted as power-crazed dictators and had their relationship end in a super-powered incident of domestic abuse. And then one of them was killed and the other was portrayed as a nonsensically maniacal supervillain.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    You and I must have been reading different comics, because the X-Men books I read saw Emma as pretty consistently the object of scorn, disapproval at the least, from the rest of the X-Men, and Scott gradually, steadily being portrayed as more and more extreme and villainous, up until the point where they were painted as power-crazed dictators and had their relationship end in a super-powered incident of domestic abuse. And then one of them was killed and the other was portrayed as a nonsensically maniacal supervillain.
    That is the end of relationship. It was more gracious than Maddie or Jean cases

Exactly this. The majority of the blame lies with editorial, and specifically Joe Quesada.
    Quesada is guilty, but not more than Morrison. It was Morrison that pitched and executed the idea.

There was also Endsong which apparently was all about Scott loving Emma over Jean and Scott's comment about cheating on the redhead with the blonde who's everything he needs. Then making out with the blonde over the redhead's grave. Then a story being written that the world would be doomed if Scott didn't continue shagging Emma. lol

There may be more, but like Spuffy, Scemma is something I skimmed enough to be sick of and could never support given the start of it. Then my petty side takes over, and I like seeing a writer stick it to the ship and shoot it down the way Morrison completely screwed up Jott for no reason. I am not even a Jott shipper, but I gotta say their relationship was just fine until Morrison screwed it up to start pushing Emma into Jean's spot. Emma was much better in generation X than in Morrison's run, imo.
    You managed to take four entirely different stories, and take them all completely out on context. Bravo.

1) You're confusing a french kiss for "making out". And since this is a showing medium, without them doing that the audience has no idea there in a relationship now.

2) Endsong was 90% about Jean, and 10% about Scott and Emma's relationship, full stop. Especially shown that when Scott and Emma ARE together in the egg, Emma nearly blows up the planet and Jean has to bitch slap her out of low orbit. The entire point of the story is showing how much all of the X-Men cared about Jean, even if Scott was in a different relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    That is the end of relationship. It was more gracious than Maddie or Jean cases
    So the end of the relationship was in Whedon's run? News to me. Because that's when the cracks in this "mystical perfect relationship" that never actually existed started.

So the end of the relationship was in Whedon's run? News to me. Because that's when the cracks in this "mystical perfect relationship" that never actually existed started.
    Mostly say Whedon wrote a perfect relationship

They really wanted it to be the biggest couple of x-men ever

i'm not a Jott shipper too, but they screwed up Jean completely

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Mostly say Whedon wrote a perfect relationship

They really wanted it to be the biggest couple of x-men ever

i'm not a Jott shipper too, but they screwed up Jean completely
    I've read the whole run. Their relationship is the polar opposite of "perfect". It is severely strained throughout. There's more strain in the first 20 issues than in Scott and Jean's relationship between 1961 and 1984 combined.

I could call it "realistic" but not "ideal" or "perfect" or even "romantic".