View Poll Results: Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 20.61%
  • No

59 45.04%
  • It's complicated.

45 34.35%
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    It doesn't seem like a retcon when there are multiple stances of Emma feeling insecure and Scott clearly loving and missing Jean throught the years. That happened, I don't know why Scemma fans ignore that.
    Jean didn't hold him back, just like Emma didn't, just like any other relationship he may have. That's only the cheapest argument any shipper says about any other ship that could possibly compromise his ship.
    Emma being insecure doesn’t prove that Scott wasn’t over Jean. MJ feels insecure because of Gwen but Peter loves MJ more.
    Scott can miss Jean all he wants. Just cz he moved on/loved another person doesn’t mean his history with Jean meant nothing. You ca still care about your ex-spouse without loving them romantically.
    His love to Jean is more so; my first love/first wife. Legit feelings but not romantic.

Cyclops good characterisation started during/post-Morrison run. Cyclops with Jean was boring, Cyclops with Emma is a Neo-Magneto, which I approve of.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    X-men blue #7 maybe.When the team invaded new tian. Emma captured the O5 except jeen.
    Thank You, good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Emma being insecure doesn’t prove that Scott wasn’t over Jean. MJ feels insecure because of Gwen but Peter loves MJ more.
    Scott can miss Jean all he wants. Just cz he moved on/loved another person doesn’t mean his history with Jean meant nothing. You ca still care about your ex-spouse without loving them romantically.
    His love to Jean is more so; my first love/first wife. Legit feelings but not romantic.

Cyclops good characterisation started during/post-Morrison run. Cyclops with Jean was boring, Cyclops with Emma is a Neo-Magneto, which I approve of.
    The way u saying as if Scott and Emma are still a thing now

-Emma is not MJ, not even close.
    -Scott didn't move on that's what is being discussed
    -Maddie was the first wife, he seemed very constant in love with Jean. Emma currently is nothing more than something he regrets, that is what you should be doubting
    -Cyclops was good before Emma and will continue to be good after her. She didn't make him special and if you feel a relationship makes the character maybe you are a fan of the ship and not the character. He can date other girl and stay more or less the same. Doesn't really lose anything for not being with Emma.
    Last edited by LostZargatan; 09-11-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Queen View Post
    The way u saying as if Scott and Emma are still a thing now
    I didn’t say that but ight

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    -Emma is not MJ, not even close.
    -Scott didn't move on that's what is being discussed
    -Maddie was the first wife, he seemed very constant in love with Jean. Emma currently is nothing more than something he regrets, that is what you should be doubting
    -Cyclops was good before Emma and will continue to be good after her. She didn't make him special and if you feel a relationship makes the character maybe you are a fan of the ship and not the character. He can date other girl and stay more or less the same. Doesn't really lose anything for not being with Emma.
    - I didn’t say Emma was MJ. All am sayin havin insecurities doesn’t mean ****.
    - Sorry my bad. Maddie was his first wife but he only got with her because she reminded him of Jean and technically she was engineered to be like Jean.
    Which issue does Scott say “I regret being with Emma” ?
    - why y’all twisting words. The ship has nothing to do with characterisation. Cyclops wasn’t well written prior to Morrison << MY OPINION>> but everything changed after God Morrison saved the X-Men franchise. Unfortunately or Fortunately, when Cyclops had the character boost he was with Emma. Am I saying Cyclops is trash now? No! I like Hickmans!Cyclops.
    If Jean was around Cyclops wouldn’t have been Neo-Magneto, this I know.

Never saw MJ being insecure because of Gwen

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

If you'd read The Search For Cyclops (pre-Morrison), then you'd clearly see that the answer is "No;" however, Morrison wanted to do what he wanted to do, so he forced the issue.

Even then, I'd content that the answer is still "No." They just got to that phase of their marriage where things are really same-y and familiar, which a lot of people misinterpret as boredom or being "over" someone, but it's really just a deeper form of relational intimacy. Some people can adapt to it, while others can't. Scott, whether you blame it on Apocalypse, Morrison or whatever, didn't.

He still loved her dearly: he was just unable to adapt to that changing dynamic in their relationship. So, again, the answer is "No."
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Never saw MJ being insecure because of Gwen
    I think Spider-Man: Blue basically proved that MJ wasn't insecure regarding Gwen.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Incredible Member

If the question pertains to Morrison's X Men then I'd say yes. Scott is no longer in love with Jean. He loves her, he wll always care about her. But in love with her? No. Understand, though, that this is more than just Apocalypse for Morrison. He had Scott call the entire marriage fake and going through the motions. Morrison hadn't thought they'd worked post 1986. Now, I can think that's complete bullshit, which I do, but it's how Morrison felt and, consequently, his Scott felt.

The amount of times Scott said to Emma "this isn't right...we shouldn't be doing this...it's Jean or nothing....I'm betraying my wife" and just flat out "No!", puts Emma in a very bad light. She kept persisting, pushing, preying, twisting Scott's feelings, and using the mind scape to rule play as Jean and blur the lines to someone trying to overcome a psychological trauma.

As a so-called "therapist", even as merely a co-worker, she ignored boundaries and was grossly unprofessional

As a telepath, she had all of the power during their "sessions" and abused it.

As a teacher(a calling she loves to boast about), she failed her prized students, not to mention endangering the lives of the whole school, due to her obsession with Scott, ignoring the Cuckoos warnings about Quentin, resulting in the Riot and Sophie's death.

Whatever problems were going on between Scott and Jean, were Scott and Jean's problems to deal with.

I didn’t say that but ight

- I didn’t say Emma was MJ. All am sayin havin insecurities doesn’t mean ****.
    - Sorry my bad. Maddie was his first wife but he only got with her because she reminded him of Jean and technically she was engineered to be like Jean.
    Which issue does Scott say “I regret being with Emma” ?
    - why y’all twisting words. The ship has nothing to do with characterisation. Cyclops wasn’t well written prior to Morrison << MY OPINION>> but everything changed after God Morrison saved the X-Men franchise. Unfortunately or Fortunately, when Cyclops had the character boost he was with Emma. Am I saying Cyclops is trash now? No! I like Hickmans!Cyclops.
    If Jean was around Cyclops wouldn’t have been Neo-Magneto, this I know.
    Comparing Emma to MJ isn't entirely wrong, but you compared the wrong parts. MJ was never insecure about her and Peter.

You could say that Emma, like MJ, was the second woman to help fill the void in Scott's (Peter's) life after Jean (Gwen in the Spider-Man comparison) passed away.

The problem comes when you realize MJ never tried to pry Gwen and Peter apart (genuinely), while Emma did. And that MJ will never be replaced by a reborn Gwen, but Emma will always lose out to a reborn Jean—the first woman.

Knowing that, you can kinda blame Scott, too, for being a massive dickhead and constantly roping both Emma and Jean back because he doesn't have the emotional maturity that Peter does. Peter's made his peace that his Gwen is dead and that he loves MJ now. Gwen even came back in Clone Conspiracy and Peter straight up told her "You're a clone, not my real Gwen who's dead, and I've made my peace with that." If that Gwen had stayed, Peter wouldn't leave MJ for her. Scott's so emotionally stunted and immature that he leaves Emma any time Jean's back.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Comparing Emma to MJ isn't entirely wrong, but you compared the wrong parts. MJ was never insecure about her and Peter.

You could say that Emma, like MJ, was the second woman to help fill the void in Scott's (Peter's) life after Jean (Gwen in the Spider-Man comparison) passed away.

The problem comes when you realize MJ never tried to pry Gwen and Peter apart (genuinely), while Emma did. And that MJ will never be replaced by a reborn Gwen, but Emma will always lose out to a reborn Jean—the first woman.

Knowing that, you can kinda blame Scott, too, for being a massive dickhead and constantly roping both Emma and Jean back because he doesn't have the emotional maturity that Peter does. Peter's made his peace that his Gwen is dead and that he loves MJ now. Gwen even came back in Clone Conspiracy and Peter straight up told her "You're a clone, not my real Gwen who's dead, and I've made my peace with that." If that Gwen had stayed, Peter wouldn't leave MJ for her. Scott's so emotionally stunted and immature that he leaves Emma any time Jean's back.
    She kind of was, but not for anything related to Gwen, after some time together, she started to feel that Peter was too good for her and though that he would be happier without her around, Peter felt that she was too good for him and that he brought her too much grief, but they eventually realized that it wasn't true and were able to have a decent marriage until OMD.

Also, Emma is more like Scott's Black Cat than MJ IMO.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Even Mastermind admitted that he had an accomplice...

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    If the question pertains to Morrison's X Men then I'd say yes. Scott is no longer in love with Jean. He loves her, he wll always care about her. But in love with her? No. Understand, though, that this is more than just Apocalypse for Morrison. He had Scott call the entire marriage fake and going through the motions. Morrison hadn't thought they'd worked post 1986. Now, I can think that's complete bullshit, which I do, but it's how Morrison felt and, consequently, his Scott felt.
    That isn't some kind of nostalgia? clearly Morrison didn't accepted any development of the couple.
    Well Morrison was using Scott as his surrogate, self insert.

people need to get morrison out of a pedestal
    Last edited by spirit2011; 09-12-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post

Scott is a horndog. PERIODTTT

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    She kind of was, but not for anything related to Gwen, after some time together, she started to feel that Peter was too good for her and though that he would be happier without her around, Peter felt that she was too good for him and that he brought her too much grief, but they eventually realized that it wasn't true and were able to have a decent marriage until OMD.

Also, Emma is more like Scott's Black Cat than MJ IMO.
    Ayyyy my SpiderMan Fans. Hey y’all! ~ I no longer read SpiderMan **** cuz OMD turned me off~

Anyway, I do think Emma is the Felicia to Scott in terms of the context and her trifling proclamation of thoticide (jk jk) but I was discussing Emma’s inner feelings about herself. Emma’s insecurities and low self confidence doesn’t stem from whether or not Scott has moved on from Jean.