View Poll Results: Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 20.61%
  • No

59 45.04%
  • It's complicated.

45 34.35%
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Emma was right

What? The Storm thing? I actually don’t care about this old stuff, which was completely forgotten by the modern writers, like many other stupid stuff from old comics. My point was about Scemma make-out sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I didn’t say that but ight

- I didn’t say Emma was MJ. All am sayin havin insecurities doesn’t mean ****.
    - Sorry my bad. Maddie was his first wife but he only got with her because she reminded him of Jean and technically she was engineered to be like Jean.
    Which issue does Scott say “I regret being with Emma” ?
    - why y’all twisting words. The ship has nothing to do with characterisation. Cyclops wasn’t well written prior to Morrison << MY OPINION>> but everything changed after God Morrison saved the X-Men franchise. Unfortunately or Fortunately, when Cyclops had the character boost he was with Emma. Am I saying Cyclops is trash now? No! I like Hickmans!Cyclops.
    If Jean was around Cyclops wouldn’t have been Neo-Magneto, this I know.
    2019 and people still calling Scott Neo Magneto? Lawd...

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    2019 and people still calling Scott Neo Magneto? Lawd...
    "Repeat a lie long enough, and the people will believe it to be the truth."

-Joseph Goebbels (ironically enough).

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

While I didn't like that Morrison wrote Scott into having an affair, I don't think I would imply that Emma raped him in any way. Did she take advantage of her therapy to get close to him? Yes. But Scott did acknowledge the situation as an affair and gave into it. Scott also was aware enough not to have any physical intimacy, so I can't say I agree with the claims.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    While I didn't like that Morrison wrote Scott into having an affair, I don't think I would imply that Emma raped him in any way. Did she take advantage of her therapy to get close to him? Yes. But Scott did acknowledge the situation as an affair and gave into it. Scott also was aware enough not to have any physical intimacy, so I can't say I agree with the claims.
    I would say that i gets uncomfortably close to it, but as you say Scott does acknowledge the situation at some point, so it doesn't quite fit, too close for comfort but not quite.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

People on these forums and others throw the word Rape around way too easily. Personally I feel they don't even understand the true meaning of the word. Just read a few real rape victim statements and then people on this forum may realize that using the word Rape around any comic book relationship they don't like is kind of horrible.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-ra#.mszo8oOPp

Emma was right

I don’t think that being Neo-Magneto is a bad thing in a fictional story, which is should be entertaining. Scott resembling him in a many ways, except “let’s kill all people”.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I would say that i gets uncomfortably close to it, but as you say Scott does acknowledge the situation at some point, so it doesn't quite fit, too close for comfort but not quite.
    Yep, definitely close. I feel that the lack of exploration on what Scott was going through specifically, and the state of mind he was in is what makes the situation as bad as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    People on these forums and others throw the word Rape around way too easily. Personally I feel they don't even understand the true meaning of the word. Just read a few real rape victim statements and then people on this forum may realize that using the word Rape around any comic book relationship they don't like is kind of horrible.
    I agree with you pretty strongly on this. Some words are tossed around too easily.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 09-12-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Bless you.

Yep, definitely close. I feel that the lack of exploration on what Scott was going through specifically, and the state of mind he was in is what makes the situation as bad as it is.
    That honestly the main problem with Morrison's premise, he tell us that Scott is affected and thats what it leads him to be acting different in this run, but he never really explores it, so that whole part of his run always feel cheap too me.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Even Jean told Emma “Scott needs you”. ;]
    Scott enjoyed the process, the artist made it very clear. Maddie was the one who truly raped him pretending to be Emma. If you want to talk about it so much.

Conveniently, since Jean herself had just been killed via "sucker punch" via Xorneto who wasn't Magneto, who was Chinese but, was Magneto pretending to be chinese...

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    [/COLOR]

Conveniently, since Jean herself had just been killed via "sucker punch" via Xorneto who wasn't Magneto, who was Chinese but, was Magneto pretending to be chinese...
    Nope, it was the moment when she resurrected Emma.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Nope, it was the moment when she resurrected Emma.
    Oh, the Shattered! I'm not truly invulnerable in my diamond form arc!

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    [/COLOR]

You'll actually find that most of the people are fans of Emma Frost didn't really like seeing Jean killed off. To this day I feel that killing off Jean was a cop out because they didn't actually have the courage to write a divorce story. It's no different than Peter and MJ, instead of writing a divorce, they had Peter and MJ sell their "love" to the devil in exchange for saving Aunt May. That's just gross, the whole idea of it is just gross. This is all Joe Quesada believing that Peter and Scott shouldn't be married because it makes them too old for comic book fans. I call bullshit on that, there are lots of popular characters that have been married and even had divorces in comics. I personally thought Morrison was breaking Scott and Jean up in a dramatic way and I was hoping he would follow through on the story, break them up, but Jean deserves to have her chance to shine as a single woman in the process. As a writer I am perfectly fine with them breaking up ships, but the solution isn't to kill one of the people off, the solution is to give the other character a story of their own. It's not like the X-Men don't have multiple books, you have New X-Men carries forward with Scott and Emma as a couple, and you have Jean on a different team like X-Factor, X-Force, or Uncanny X-Men. Killing Jean off was stupid and it's the one thing I truly hate about that time. Even talking about "One More Day" just makes me angry beyond words, it was the stupidest idea that Joe Quesada ever shoved down comic book fans throats.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    The amount of times Scott said to Emma "this isn't right...we shouldn't be doing this...it's Jean or nothing....I'm betraying my wife" and just flat out "No!", puts Emma in a very bad light. She kept persisting, pushing, preying, twisting Scott's feelings, and using the mind scape to rule play as Jean and blur the lines to someone trying to overcome a psychological trauma.

As a so-called "therapist", even as merely a co-worker, she ignored boundaries and was grossly unprofessional

As a telepath, she had all of the power during their "sessions" and abused it.

As a teacher(a calling she loves to boast about), she failed her prized students, not to mention endangering the lives of the whole school, due to her obsession with Scott, ignoring the Cuckoos warnings about Quentin, resulting in the Riot and Sophie's death.

Whatever problems were going on between Scott and Jean, were Scott and Jean's problems to deal with.
    Jean or noone was not said durng the psychic affar. It was said when Scott rejected her advances in Hong Kong. For me, ponting out Emma's moral shortcomings does nothng. I didn't expect moral behavor from her. I did from Scott.

Yes, she took advantage of him and tried to seduce him. First physically, then mentally. However, she did NOT force him to do anything. I don't see this as analagous to rape. And while he knows it's wrong, hell, he initially called it off in 138 because he knew it was wrong, he kept letting himself be talked into continuing the affar. That is on him. You cannot let him cross that line. LOL, not if you want me to keep buying the book. And 131 was the last ssue that they got my money.

Apocalypse's effect on Scott reads different ways at dfferent times in the run. I do think it's telling that he isn't mentioned in any interview where Morrison talked about Scott. My personal take is that Morrison used that experience as something of sn eye opener for Scott. He's come to some self realizations. Like with him and Jean. He can now see that Jean and he have just been spinnng their wheels since she came back in 86.

I repeat. This does not mean that I agree at all with this take. I do think, though, that it was the author's take. And since he was writing the characters at the time, they acted accordingly I distinctly recall shaking my head in dsbelief when Scott called the marriage faked. That was the first time I said, uh oh. Before that, I thought he was giving Jott some drama and they'd be together in the end.