View Poll Results: Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 20.61%
  • No

59 45.04%
  • It's complicated.

45 34.35%
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

People really love this kind of thing no wonder that even after so many years we still keep talking about it.

Personally I think he never got over Jean but that doesn't mean he didn't love Emma.

Incredible Member

I suppose it's still so talked about because it was so controversial. Not my cup of tea, though. Controversy, creating a buzz, rocking the boat at the expense of the integrity of the characters. Not for me. Sure as hell not when one of them is my favorite X Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    People really love this kind of thing no wonder that even after so many years we still keep talking about it.

Personally I think he never got over Jean but that doesn't mean he didn't love Emma.
    The X-Men without drama is boring as hell. Who would even read them?!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    I suppose it's still so talked about because it was so controversial. Not my cup of tea, though. Controversy, creating a buzz, rocking the boat at the expense of the integrity of the characters. Not for me. Sure as hell not when one of them is my favorite X Man.
    Agreed. Controversy is what creates the most debate because it splits a fandom. You got some who love it, some who hate it, and the clash continues.

• To this day people still argue Bangel vs. Spuffy in the Buffy-verse Fandom. I'm team Bangel
    • People still argue Ross vs. Rachel on The Break thing. I'm on Ross' side there. lol
    • When Bunn had Uncanny, the pairing tease of Creed x Monet. I liked it, and so do a good few other fans I've seen & spoken to. But plenty found it disgusting. So that's heated.

Controversy will always get the most attention, and it can suck for those on the losing end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Agreed. Controversy is what creates the most debate because it splits a fandom. You got some who love it, some who hate it, and the clash continues.
    80% AGREE.

To this day people still argue Bangel vs. Spuffy in the Buffy-verse Fandom. I'm team Bangel
    Team Riley.

Buffy should have stayed with a human. The angel love story was great but she had no future with a vampire.

People still argue Ross vs. Rachel on The Break thing. I'm on Ross' side there. lol
    Team Rachael.

If they were truly on a break as in broken up, why was Ross so determined to make Rachael not find out?
    When Bunn had Uncanny, the pairing tease of Creed x Monet. I liked it, and so do a good few other fans I've seen & spoken to. But plenty found it disgusting. So that's heated.
    Team Bendis for uncanny xmen, never read Bunn's run also I have not enjoyed uncanny xmen since the claremont and lodbell days until Bendis.

At least it is not Sabertooth and Psylocke.

Controversy will always get the most attention, and it can suck for those on the losing end of it.
    It only sucks when it sticks to cliches like killing off jean before they could resolve the situation or when they don't let the right characters take the blame, scott first and foremost is the one to blame for choosing to have the affair, jean not emma is to blame in the long haul for pushing scott to emma's hands.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-13-2019 at 08:21 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    The X-Men without drama is boring as hell. Who would even read them?!
    The "feats" crowd.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IDA. Jean is kind, compassionate with a warm personality but she is also passionate, feisty and can be explosive with those that clash with whats important to her. She is known for her fiery personality as she can go from 0 to 10 rather quickly. Jean, one note? Not at all

Yeah and as we saw in Winter's End, Jean is no Emma fan. Then theres all the crap, Emma did in Rosenberg's run which most likely further solidified that opinion
    There is more to Emma than jean, she has more dimensions as a character. Jean was so boring the only way they could upgrade her was to make her phoenix.

Also Emma was definitely the better lover. All the steamy scott and emma scenes from uncanny xmen to astonshing xmen. you would not even know Scott was married once or twice when he was playing house with Emma

400e49530bffa7b6dfb0e3846658c4d5.jpg

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Team Riley.

Buffy should have stayed with a human. The angel love story was great but she had no future with a vampire.
    Riley was ok, but I wasn't a shipper for them. It was something I could like when it was going on, but I wasn't attached to it like Bangel. But it was infinitely better than Spuffy, which I hated and I don't watch the show once Spike becomes a love interest option.

Team Rachael.

If they were truly on a break as in broken up, why was Ross so determined to make Rachael not find out?
    Because he knew she'd react the way she did. Rachel said they were broken up 3 times.
    Monica "How was your anniversary dinner?"
    Rachel "We didn't get to dinner"
    Monica "Ooh, nice."
    Rachel "We kinda broke up instead..."
    Monica "WHAT??!!!"

All of those point to them being broken up. You don't ask to be someone's girlfriend if you already are. And you don't say you wanna get back something that was never gone. But when she found out about Chloe, her tone changed entirely and everything became about how hurt she was because Ross slept with someone while he was depressed about losing her. The same way she slept with Palo again when Ross came back from China with Julie. So she of all people should understand rebounding with someone who means nothing to you when you're depressed over losing the one person you really wanted.

Not to mention the stupid things she did. Such as breaking up with him in the first place, then letting Mark (the very man Ross was not comfortable with) come into her apartment at 100:00 at night. Then when Ross called to talk to her, she lied about Mark being there? He heard a voice and asked if someone was there, and she said no while motioning for Mark to be quiet. Then Ross asks if Mark is there, and she says yes, causing Ross to hang up on her. You can argue he should have listened to what she had to say, but trust was broken there when Mark is in her apartment & she got caught in a lie about it.

Now Rachel was not cheating on Ross. But she knew he was not comfortable with Mark and still couldn't stay away from him, even if the midst of their break up, and it put her in a compromising position that could've been avoided. Like Ross x Emily. I was on Emily's side there. Her groom says the wrong woman's name at the wedding, then was about to go on their honeymoon with that very woman. Ross wasn't cheating but he put himself in a stupid position for Emily to get the wrong idea when she finally did show up. If you're in a serious relationship, avoid compromising situations. lol

BOTH didn't handle the situation properly -just a sign they did not belong together. BUT Ross does own up to the fact he did wrong in the relationship and Rachel never does.

Team Bendis for uncanny xmen, never read Bunn's run also I have not enjoyed uncanny xmen since the claremont and lodbell days until Bendis.

At least it is not Sabertooth and Psylocke.
    I will forever hate Bendis for his utter destruction of Sabretooth's character. He's one of MANY writers over the years that is responsible for him going from legit to a complete joke.

I didn't care for Creed x Psylocke either. And everyone on this forum knows I hate Creed x Mystique with a burning passion. Almost as much as Spuffy. lol Him x Monet was good under the circumstances, and I thing Bunn gave them good chemistry. But sadly that ship got shot down in the harbor.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-13-2019 at 09:25 AM.

There is more to Emma than jean, she has more dimensions as a character. Jean was so boring the only way they could upgrade her was to make her phoenix.

Also Emma was definitely the better lover. All the steamy scott and emma scenes from uncanny xmen to astonshing xmen. you would not even know Scott was married once or twice when he was playing house with Emma

400e49530bffa7b6dfb0e3846658c4d5.jpg
    Cyclops couldn't tell the difference between Emma And Madeleyne. Just because there was more sex scenes doesn't mean Emma was any better.
    I owuld never take pride on sex, when love is really above that and Scott was really thinking about Jean all the time

Emma is mostly snark, snarck isn't a personality or complexity

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Yep, only Logan made the right choices.
    Jean also did the right choices

Yes, Scott is a grown man, no way did he think it was just therapy , he is a lot smarter and experienced with telepathy thanks to growing up as basically Xavier's son, marrying two telepaths (Jean and madelyne pryor) and been very attracted to another telepath (Psylocke).

it was also lust as well. Emma's physical appearance has always been highly provocative for any man. Scott had love and lust for emma,I think the love part was harder to admit because he was still Jean's husband.
    He really thought it was a therapy.

Emma also did Rogue and Gambit couples therapy.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 09-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    “Coming!”
    So’s Scott.

0A7F9CBC-3415-48FD-AF13-7C3716E057C2.jpeg
    That’s almost the exact pose at Brad in bed with Dr Furter!

Sorry, this amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post

Thread solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Is that a Christian school?
    Stop blaming the women who has nothing to do with a crappy marriage, the only one to blame is the one who is cheating. The end. A man who wants to leave you will leave anyway, he has his own brain, no need to blame another women just because you’re upset and jealous.
    Maybe we need to re-frame this. Let's say you're talking with an acquaintance. This acquaintance discloses a secret to you that would be deeply embarrassing to a friend of there's if it were to get out. You've met their friend but don't really have a relationship with them. So the question is, is it ethical to share the secret and embarrass your acquaintance's friend? It was there fault, not yours, for telling their friends secret to you. You don't owe their friend anything. So, is it ok to share the secret and embarrass your acquaintance friend or not?

It's not just about direct obligation, it's about avoiding hurting others unnecessarily or without consideration, which for some people is an obligation. Emma could have stopped the affair cold in it's tracks. So could Scott. Neither did, and like the example above, two people were willing to take actions that hurt a third party, likely just for kicks so to speak.

BANNED

I somehow began to wonder what role Jean Grey played in the dissolvement of her marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Maybe we need to re-frame this. Let's say you're talking with an acquaintance. This acquaintance discloses a secret to you that would be deeply embarrassing to a friend of there's if it were to get out. You've met their friend but don't really have a relationship with them. So the question is, is it ethical to share the secret and embarrass your acquaintance's friend? It was there fault, not yours, for telling their friends secret to you. You don't owe their friend anything. So, is it ok to share the secret and embarrass your acquaintance friend or not?

It's not just about direct obligation, it's about avoiding hurting others unnecessarily or without consideration, which for some people is an obligation. Emma could have stopped the affair cold in it's tracks. So could Scott. Neither did, and like the example above, two people were willing to take actions that hurt a third party, likely just for kicks so to speak.
    Honestly all three of them were just screwed up!
    1. Scott was suffering from PTSD and depression after being possessed by Apocalypse
    2. Emma was doing everything she could to pretend she was unaffected by all her students who died in the classroom in Genosha when we know this almost permanently traumatized her.
    3. Jean was struggling because the Phoenix had returned to her and it was impacting how she felt about things making her more passionate (angry and happy) or even a bit controlling and paranoid.

Scott and Emma were wrong to have the affair, but I do think they eventually fell in love with each other, and Emma probably fairly quickly since Scott was probably the nicest man she ever dated since Ian, and Ian turned out to be a racist anti-mutant jerk!

The whole situation was complex and the writers should have followed through all the way. Instead of killing Jean off, you have Jean and Scott get divorced. Perhaps Jean kicks Scott and Emma out of the mansion and they have to form an outside team so Scott and Emma go X-Force while Jean, Storm, and Logan take over New X-Men. Eventually some big thing happens that forces them to work together and though Jean doesn't completely forgive them she decides that kicking them out of the fold was a mistake and asks them to come back to the mansion again. Maybe Emma and Scott survive all this, maybe they break up, maybe Scott tries to reconcile with Jean, maybe Jean has moved on and started dating someone else.

In the end it could go a lot of ways, the mistake that makes everyone in this thread angry is that Jean was killed off instead of giving her a story too! Emma and Scott got their story out of this and it played out for a long time. Jean didn't get one and that's what is unfair about this entire story, Jean should have had an opportunity to grow and develop from the affair too!

I am perfectly ok with writers mixing things up and breaking up ships, I just hate when they kill off one of the characters because they don't want to explore both sides. That's fine if you don't want to write Jean, have Emma and Scott take over New X-Men and Jean decides to go elsewhere and joins up with X-Factor, X-Force, Avengers, Defenders, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc...

Maybe Jean is so pissed off that when Rachel comes back, she takes her daughter on a road trip and they join up with Cable and start a new X-Force together with Jean, Cable, Rachel, Domino, etc... They do their own thing separate from the X-Men under a different writer and they don't interact with Emma and Scott's New X-Men at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    I somehow began to wonder what role Jean Grey played in the dissolvement of her marriage?
    Being a bit passive? Well if she took the matters with heavy hand, readers would be like "she is opressing him".
    This story is a no win for Jean it was made for her look bad

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post

Scott could had stop it later, but the damage was already done.