Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Let me just say that I am not thrilled by (yet another) "Year of the Villain", but.... does anyone see a way out of this current storyline than not a reboot? The stakes are jus so absurdly high that IO cannot see how, the moment after this event is over, everyone in the DCU can go "well, life as usual".
    I suspect DC will do exactly that. I figure the villains win the Justice/Doom War, the heroes spend much of 2020 clawing their way back to victory, and then we get a new normal (like maybe the JSA back full-time), but a normal nonetheless.

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    More Batman Who Laughs, more me not caring. The new Superboy Prime. Shows up freaking everywhere now.
    Now that’s one fight that would be interesting to even see: Batman who laughs vs. Superboy Prime.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,399

    Default

    We have two huge villains trying to conquer the DCU at the same time. Somethings gotta give. Not a huge fan of TBWL. He’s so overused. DC has been nonstop Batman and Joker so I’m not surprised they’ve found a way to inundate readers even more with these characters without actually using them. TBWL is a Joker loophole. It’s a dream come true for DC.

    Hey, as least Jaime Reyes is being used again. Being a villain for a story is better than being in limbo I guess.

  4. #19
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Hey, as least Jaime Reyes is being used again. Being a villain for a story is better than being in limbo I guess.
    I just hope they leave his family and friends alone. They are too cool to be killed off for cheap dramatic effect.

  5. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    He is basically a Batman unleashed, no morals or heroic vows restraining/constraining him. A Batman who shows what he is truly capable of and doesn't hold himself back. I buy into him more as a major villain than I do Luthor, I can accept his accomplishments more because he is essentially Batman with all the skills, training and determination that Batman possesses. Luthor is basically just a wealthy, highly
    intelligent human but I'm suppose to buy that he commands villains that far outclasses him in power and now he is dealing with cosmic power on a universal scale?
    And this was before he underwent his transformation to apex predator Luthor. In short the BWL is a breath of fresh air, he shakes things up and he is the dark version of DC's #1 character. I think he has staying power as a major DC villain and with how connected Batman is to the overall DCU there is ample opportunity for the BWL to interact with countless characters. From allies like the bat family and JL to even his rogue's gallery, imagine him going after Damian or Selina; the possibilities are great character interaction is endless. I like him as a character.
    TBWL is also a highly intelligent and wealthy human. He isn't any different from Luthor other than knowing how to fight and being more obviously maniacal.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Looks like a new edge fest.
    It came from something called Dark Knight Metal, of course, it is XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Who asked for this?
    Technically nobody, but since BWL, JL, and DKM sells well, nobody stops it either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What is the appeal? Batman being an evil? Joker with Batman iconography (or the other way around)?
    Both but I'm leaning towards the latter. It's the Venom/Carnage appeal. Badass/cool looking, violent leaning villain that combines elements of both characters, both of whom are very popular characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    We have two huge villains trying to conquer the DCU at the same time. Somethings gotta give. Not a huge fan of TBWL. He’s so overused. DC has been nonstop Batman and Joker so I’m not surprised they’ve found a way to inundate readers even more with these characters without actually using them. TBWL is a Joker loophole. It’s a dream come true for DC.
    Oh, that's why I'm interested in him and not bored with him yet. It's a way of using Joker without using Joker.

    By the way

    I recognize most of the infected except the guy in a tux and mask. Who's he? Among all these edgelords, someone who looks pretty normal at the back, a position that can also mean Man Behind The Man or Eleventh Hour Traitor kinda stand out.

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    By the way

    I recognize most of the infected except the guy in a tux and mask. Who's he? Among all these edgelords, someone who looks pretty normal at the back, a position that can also mean Man Behind The Man or Eleventh Hour Traitor kinda stand out.
    I think it’s Commissioner Gordon.

  8. #23
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    I'm really interested in more Batman Who Laughs stuff, but, given how crazy interested my students are in the character, I think I'm just not the target audience for this one. Mixing DC's most popular character with its most popular villain into one guy is the kind of no-brainer I can't believe nobody thought of it before (particularly in the 90s).

  9. #24
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    82

    Default

    well, time to kill off the jsa then after bringing them back. it's what they do

  10. #25
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    God, I just don't like Batman Who Laughs.
    Zero interest in any of it.
    If the character floats your boat, more power to you - but it isn't my cup of tea.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm really interested in more Batman Who Laughs stuff, but, given how crazy interested my students are in the character, I think I'm just not the target audience for this one. Mixing DC's most popular character with its most popular villain into one guy is the kind of no-brainer I can't believe nobody thought of it before (particularly in the 90s).
    I can’t believe it took DC until 2017 to create an Evil Batman character. There have been a few halfhearted attempts but that it took them so long to make Evil Batman a central villain is just mind boggling to me.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,152

    Default

    Zzzzz.
    When is this stupid character just going to piss off already.

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    He appeals to the crowd who thinks that 'dark and edgy'= 'mature, deep and good'.

    Snyder figured out what certain anime / manga (Evangelion, Akame Ga Kill and seasons 3 and 4 of Yu-Gi-Oh GX to name a few) have been doing for years : make a story/ character as dark, edgy and nonsensical as possible and a vocal portion of the fan base will defend that crap as a mature and deep masterpiece.
    I can assure you Evangelion is beloved by its fanbase not because it tries to be "dark and edgy" for the sake of it. It's overall message isn't even that dark and cynical, and it's content is pretty tame by modern standards.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm really interested in more Batman Who Laughs stuff, but, given how crazy interested my students are in the character, I think I'm just not the target audience for this one. Mixing DC's most popular character with its most popular villain into one guy is the kind of no-brainer I can't believe nobody thought of it before (particularly in the 90s).
    Maybe once Marvel did it with Prof X + Magneto = Onslaught, they shied away from the idea for years.

  14. #29
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Zzzzz.
    When is this stupid character just going to piss off already.
    When people stop buying books he appears in.

  15. #30
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    He is basically a Batman unleashed, no morals or heroic vows restraining/constraining him. A Batman who shows what he is truly capable of and doesn't hold himself back. I buy into him more as a major villain than I do Luthor, I can accept his accomplishments more because he is essentially Batman with all the skills, training and determination that Batman possesses. Luthor is basically just a wealthy, highly
    intelligent human but I'm suppose to buy that he commands villains that far outclasses him in power and now he is dealing with cosmic power on a universal scale? And this was before he underwent his transformation to apex predator Luthor. In short the BWL is a breath of fresh air, he shakes things up and he is the dark version of DC's #1 character. I think he has staying power as a major DC villain and with how connected Batman is to the overall DCU there is ample opportunity for the BWL to interact with countless characters. From allies like the bat family and JL to even his rogue's gallery, imagine him going after Damian or Selina; the possibilities are great character interaction is endless. I like him as a character.
    If he actually acted enough like Batman I could buy it but he feels more like Joker in Bondage Gear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •