Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Apparently Universal is thrilled with the response and considering more shorts leading to JW3 as setup.
    Could be good. Nice way to expand on the story and set up stuff that would add interesting context to the next film.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Colin is sharing lots of new animatronic work for the next movie. It is being done by the same studio that just did the new Dark Crystal show. They are taking a long time because they want to massively increase the amount of practical effects for JW3.

The pre-production for JW3 is looking a lot like the first JP. They are spending years on making new dinosaurs and testing new things out. They are planning on pushing the boundaries much like the first movie did.

The short was as much an effects test of the new creatures as it was a prequel to JW3. They want the dinosaurs on everyone's minds.

Here's a nice summary video of all of Colin's tweets.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

One thing I'd like to see are the Dilophosaurs again. We got a tease in JW with the holographic one (and the Jimmy Fallon skit) and there were sculptures in the mansion, but apart from that, they haven't been utilized in the sequels at all.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Colin is sharing lots of new animatronic work for the next movie. It is being done by the same studio that just did the new Dark Crystal show. They are taking a long time because they want to massively increase the amount of practical effects for JW3.

The pre-production for JW3 is looking a lot like the first JP. They are spending years on making new dinosaurs and testing new things out. They are planning on pushing the boundaries much like the first movie did.

The short was as much an effects test of the new creatures as it was a prequel to JW3. They want the dinosaurs on everyone's minds.

Here's a nice summary video of all of Colin's tweets.

Awesome! Just awesome! I've missed the practical effects.

I think partially the problem why some of the CG didn't look as good in the sequels is that the first film's main Dinosaur attacks were mostly at night or in dark environments which helped to conceal some of the flaws. Even in the first film, the scenes with the T-rex and the Raptors in the kitchen (Which were a mix of animatronics with CG) have aged better than the daylight scenes with the Brachiosaurus/The Gallimimus stampede/T-rex vs. The Raptors IMO.

Despite the good work he's done in other films (Captain America etc), it seemed that Joe Johnston really struggled on both counts with the effects in JP3. The Spinosaurus animatronic attacking the small plane at times looks like something you'd see at an amusement park rather than a living creature. (Although I though the Raptors turned out OK).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Despite the good work he's done in other films (Captain America etc), it seemed that Joe Johnston really struggled on both counts with the effects in JP3. The Spinosaurus animatronic attacking the small plane at times looks like something you'd see at an amusement park rather than a living creature. (Although I though the Raptors turned out OK).
    Yeah, I think that was on Johnston; the robot was made by the same people who worked on the other ones and it sounds like they were taking things to the next level in terms of craftsmanship.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think partially the problem why some of the CG didn't look as good in the sequels is that the first film's main Dinosaur attacks were mostly at night or in dark environments which helped to conceal some of the flaws. Even in the first film, the scenes with the T-rex and the Raptors in the kitchen (Which were a mix of animatronics with CG) have aged better than the daylight scenes with the Brachiosaurus/The Gallimimus stampede/T-rex vs. The Raptors IMO.

I don't know about aging poorly, I saw the original in Imax just before Jurassic World came out and those scenes still looked as amazingly life liked as I remembered them.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know about aging poorly, I saw the original in Imax just before Jurassic World came out and those scenes still looked as amazingly life liked as I remembered them.
    I kinda agree that the 1993 CGI has not aged as well as the robots, but it's still amazing for the era and in comparison to today isn't that bad. I mean, early Pixar has arguably aged worse (and those guys were smart about not only investing the top craftsmanship of their work, but also telling a good story and animated the movie so it would outlast the dated nature of '90s computer animation).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The cartoon, a Netflix project called Camp Cretaceous
    Camp Cretaceous huh? Maybe the producers can take a page out of Star Wars and do an alliterative prequel, like Triassic Trials.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Camp Cretaceous huh? Maybe the producers can take a page out of Star Wars and do an alliterative prequel, like Triassic Trials.
    We'll see. As I said, we've been told that it'll get more seasons if popular enough, which begs the question how they'll be able to keep the story going when they're wrapping it around one event and the inherent difficulties in getting characters to the dinosaur islands in these projects.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, the concept of a Jurassic Park: Year One or something like that has been banded about for years. I think TOPPS was considering something like that, but then they went out of business due to the woes of the comic industry in the late 90s.

The closest we came was the Trespasser game; for all the game's many flaws, it did have a cool voiceover narration of Hammond reading from his autobiography about Site B.

Some "Expanded Universe" concepts for Jurassic Park have made it into the films: Before Jurassic World came out, there was the video game Operation Genesis, a sort of Sim game where you were put in charge of a fully open Jurassic Park with regular tourists; likewise, the idea of weird Dinosaur hybrids was used in both the comics and toy lines. I wouldn't count the Dinosaurs coming to the mainland, as that was pretty much a genuine concern in the first book (not really in the movie though)

Yeah, the concept of a Jurassic Park: Year One or something like that has been banded about for years. I think TOPPS was considering something like that, but then they went out of business due to the woes of the comic industry in the late 90s.
    Didn't know that; I do know they published some comics set during the park's construction, though. (Would love to get copies of those old comics, but the trades are out of print and pretty darn expensive these days.)

The closest we came was the Trespasser game; for all the game's many flaws, it did have a cool voiceover narration of Hammond reading from his autobiography about Site B.
    Oh yeah. Never played the game, but that narration was really good. Someone actually pulled the audio files and separated them to create a little audio drama (website here). Certainly not canon (lots of details don't add up, since it was made in the '90s and a bit of a mashup of the first two movies and the books), but it's very much worth a listen, if nothing else, since it was the last time Sir Richard Attenborough played the character.

Some "Expanded Universe" concepts for Jurassic Park have made it into the films: Before Jurassic World came out, there was the video game Operation Genesis, a sort of Sim game where you were put in charge of a fully open Jurassic Park with regular tourists; likewise, the idea of weird Dinosaur hybrids was used in both the comics and toy lines.
    Mount Sibo from Fallen Kingdom was borrowed from the 2011 video game Jurassic Park: The Game. The viral marketing from the Jurassic World movies also borrowed much from that game, even if the story has been contradicted enough that it couldn't have happened. The Chaos Effect hybrid toys were actually made for a cartoon show that never made it.

I wouldn't count the Dinosaurs coming to the mainland, as that was pretty much a genuine concern in the first book (not really in the movie though)
    Kinda; it's implied at the end of the book that it's happening, but the sequel novel writes it out as not happening after all (the second novel retcons a lot from the first book to make it work).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

At least some Procompsonathus made it to the mainland in the novel (One scene in particular was later reworked as the beginning of The Lost World movie). It's part of the catalyst for Grant being asked to look at the park.

Camp Cretaceous will be about 6 teens attending a special camp that get stuck on the other side of the park during the events of Jurassic World. The story focus will be on how they come together and bond. Future seasons after the initial 2-3 will be about the group as adults rescuing dinos during the events of Fallen Kingdom. Never-before seen dinosaurs will be featured such as the Tarbosaurus, Sarcosuchus, Cryolophosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Postosuchus, Sauropelta, and Alioramus. Other returning fan favorites will include Triceratops, Pteranodon, Carnotaurus, Pachycephlosaurus, and the other 2 Velociraptor packs (one green, one brown) on the island.

Netflix Orders ‘Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous’ Animated Series
    https://jurassicoutpost.com/first-lo...l-attack-toys/
    https://jurassicoutpost.com/huge-ass...toys-revealed/
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The animation was a lot better than I was expecting, I wonder what the people will look like.