Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Frankly she needed the break AFAIC and I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did. I get that people are happy to have her back and I don't think that's invalid. But acting like they were ignoring Jean or her legacy is not true. She's always loomed very large.
    Why do you think she needed a break?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Why do you think she needed a break?
    Because I felt she had dominated the X-books as the all-powerful, saintly den mother and center of all things for almost all of the '90s, and IMO it took anything interesting from the character. When you're a walking, talking messiah who is perfect in every way - and that's how I felt she was characterized in those years - to paraphrase her last words to Scott, the best thing she can do (like Barry Allen) is die on you for awhile. Now that she's been gone it gives the character a new lease on life, and unlike Barry Allen she used to be interesting.

Because I felt she had dominated the X-books as the all-powerful, saintly den mother and center of all things for almost all of the '90s, and IMO it took anything interesting from the character. When you're a walking, talking messiah who is perfect in every way - and that's how I felt she was characterized in those years - to paraphrase her last words to Scott, the best thing she can do (like Barry Allen) is die on you for awhile. Now that she's been gone it gives the character a new lease on life, and unlike Barry Allen she used to be interesting.
    Fair enough

Seems like Jean can't win. Too good and she is a boring mary sue, slightly flawed she is terrible and indifferent.

BANNED

I am all for Jean with flaws.

I am all for Jean with flaws.
    Which flaws do you like?

I enjoy when she gets angry and kicks some ass.

They never erased her. She remained the Christ figure of the X-Men honored in countless stories including several Phoenix minis and with duplicate characters (Hope, Jeen). She remained prominent in merch, games and films. She has always been central to the mythos. She was just not starring in the books for a long time. Frankly she needed the break AFAIC and I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did. I get that people are happy to have her back and I don't think that's invalid. But acting like they were ignoring Jean or her legacy is not true. She's always loomed very large.
    If that was true, rachel would be the co-leader of xmen and not Emma

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Yes, Everybody is like "Jean fans are complaining too much"
    and I'm like "it is because Marvel's track record with Jean sucks"
    They did enough damage. other characters received less and they fans all complained a lot too

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    If that was true, rachel would be the co-leader of xmen and not Emma
    You don't have to be alive to loom large.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    You don't have to be alive to loom large.
    That isn't any better than Jean being alive and I don't think you read my post

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    That isn't any better than Jean being alive and I don't think you read my post
    Perhaps I misunderstood it, but I did read it. The era in which Emma co-lead the X-Men was the era in which Jean was dead, no?

Astonishing Member

Perhaps I misunderstood it, but I did read it. The era in which Emma co-lead the X-Men was the era in which Jean was dead, no?
    she was also dead in the 80s, when Storm was the leader. iirc it must have been like 1982 to 87.

Yes, it was

Just figured out that I read "Jean" when you wrote "rachel". I see now the confusion.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 09-13-2019 at 07:34 PM.

All-New Member

#9 refers to Wolverine and Jubilee IMO. The fireworks line tips that it's Jubilee, and "non-couple couple" indicates that it's not a romantic couple. Jubes and Wolvie were never an item but they did have a sidekick relationship for a long time and haven't resumed that for ages.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    #9 refers to Wolverine and Jubilee IMO. The fireworks line tips that it's Jubilee, and "non-couple couple" indicates that it's not a romantic couple. Jubes and Wolvie were never an item but they did have a sidekick relationship for a long time and haven't resumed that for ages.
    I'd rather it refer to Jubilee and X23. But who knows seems the main suspects (Logan, Laura, Jubilee, Chamber) are in separate books.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I'd rather it refer to Jubilee and X23. But who knows seems the main suspects (Logan, Laura, Jubilee, Chamber) are in separate books.
    I'm not sure that greatly matters. The X-books typically had cross-cast appearances in previous years, it's only in the past decade or so that it's started to seem like it's impossible for characters to show up outside of their main series. Given the integrated approach Hickman/Marvel appear to be taking with X-Men now hopefully characters can show up when necessary. But it might also refer to something that's coming up later in HOX/POX.