View Poll Results: How did you feel about this issue ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • ⭐️

2 11.11%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️

5 27.78%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

7 38.89%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

2 11.11%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman 78 review

I don’t know how to feel. I mean Diana is helpless l. Okay. But why should be helpless. I get there is no love . However, in the world is much. Especially since multiple gods exist in Dc comics.

Wonder Woman's powers come from the Greek gods though and it was Aphrodite that was killed. For years now we've been told that love is an essential part of Diana's character. After all love is how she beat Darkseid in Robinson's run, it makes sense that she'd be lost without it. Cale's comment comparing the absence of love to Superman's weaknesses is how Wilson sealed the deal.

I feel like something that has this massive of an affect should've shown its effects on the world in a much larger scale. Seeing a couple of looters and a car accident doesn't really emphasize just how dangerous this is, in my opinion.

I don’t know since people worship other Gods in Dc I don’t know how much it should influence people. Maybe just the people who worship them. Also the gods were killed before. Diana didn’t lose her Powers. I don’t know a Christian shouldn’t lose their love since Aphrodite isn’t their God. This is one thing that could be built upon. How does this work. We have more than one God. We have multiple creation gods

If there are any stories which show the dangers of editorial mandates regarding scheduling (a must when it comes to large events like YotV), I believe this should be one.

First, the results of Wilson's previous arc didn't get the consideration it needed, when it comes to the ramifications of a way back to Themyscira being opened. Second, Cheetah—who has barely been seen in the main Wonder Woman comic since Rucka's run—suddenly appears with exactly zero buildup to suddenly become the major villain for Diana to deal with.

I think Wilson however manages to make lemons out of the lemonade, and the way Aphrodite's death means a loss of love and compassion is dealt with well, within the limited room she has to develop it. This goes especially for the relation between Steve and Diana. And the death of Aphrodite gives a more plausible reason for humanity turning against the heroes than some little speech from Lex Luthor.

I didn't really like Derenick's art here. It's decent on a technical level, but I don't think he manages to convey the emotional states of the characters, except in some very few frames.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

The art is good and the story telling in general competent around pacing and such.

But Steve as a whiny little (ahem), to the point where he complains about Diana not calling him for help while Antibacterial is supporting because she is badly hurt, is never going to sit well with me.

So of Wilson’s plan is for Steve to walk out and D to hook up with Antioxidant, she can’t leave the book fast enough for my taste.

Also interesting how Wilson completely overlooks Etta’s and Minerva’s past romantic relationship.

One star.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-11-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The thing with Aphrodite doesn't make much sense, she's hardly the only deity of love. Besides, aren't Zeus and Posedion dead as well? Why weren't there any repercussions for their deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    The thing with Aphrodite doesn't make much sense, she's hardly the only deity of love. Besides, aren't Zeus and Posedion dead as well? Why weren't there any repercussions for their deaths?
    They had writers who didn't care about theology or consequences.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This is what should have happen. Diana and the Amazons shouldn’t be able to love. That since they are devout followers they shouldn’t be able to help.

Another disappointment.

Flimsy premise: Diana suddenly cannot love, therefore cannot defend herself in battle so we get a few panels of Cheetah easily defeating Diana in flashback...? Plus Corny dialog, slap-dash art & of course, more needy, whiny Steve.

Veronica Cale pretty much summed it up best; "Well, you get what you get".

Astonishing Member

Not sure how I feel about this run. Its an improvement over some of the stuff we've had recently, but it feels lacking. The solution is probably going to be Atlantiades stepping up to fill the void left by Aphrodite.
    Last edited by king81992; 09-11-2019 at 04:05 PM.

I legit hate it when events interrupt my comics. I shouldn't have to read JL #25 to understand the context of a comic book. Just do a stand alone issue, bespoke from the rest of the story line.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don’t know since people worship other Gods in Dc I don’t know how much it should influence people. Maybe just the people who worship them. Also the gods were killed before. Diana didn’t lose her Powers. I don’t know a Christian shouldn’t lose their love since Aphrodite isn’t their God. This is one thing that could be built upon. How does this work. We have more than one God. We have multiple creation gods
    Wilson logic seems to be this: Aphrodite dying means love would die in general, regardless the belief of people.

That's probably too much power for Greek Gods, especially as should be other gods. Also, it isn't consistent with the death of other Gods. However, it seems to be Wilson's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    If we use the myth, Aphrodite is hardly a deity of love. She seems more a deity of lust and passion.

Hestia would be more a deity of love, even if she doesn't have this title.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-11-2019 at 07:30 PM.

It was a slower-paced issue. I can accept that.

I like that GW brought Etta back. Maybe, she'll move her in with Diana and Atlantiades, before she leaves the comic. Atlantiades, being a little stuffy, and Etta, being Etta, with Diana between them...could be fun.

I think I know where GW is going with Cheetah wanting a world, without love. Conceivably, Barbara Minerva dreams of a turning Earth into a human safari, and killing Love puts her closer to her goal. Could get interesting. I will definitely be back.

Hope the comic retains 'Ocean City' for the name of Diana's beach town, even though we're back in VA.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-11-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Wilson logic seems to be this: Aphrodite dying means love would die in general, regardless the belief of people.

That's probably too much power for Greek Gods, especially as should be other gods. Also, it isn't consistent with the death of other Gods. However, it seems to be Wilson's idea.
    I generally favour thematic depth and consequences over slavishly keeping consistency, so I can't fault Wilson for her choice. Otherwise you will always and forever shackle good writers to decisions made by poor writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If we use the myth, Aphrodite is hardly a deity of love. She seems more a deity of lust and passion.

Hestia would be more a deity of love, even if she doesn't have this title.
    A couple of comments here.

First a general one: the stories told about the gods are but one facet of how they were perceived at the time. You need to also look at actual cultic practices, epithets, and so on.

Second, note how Atlantiades named her in #77, as Aphrodite Ourania, who by some was said to represent the more spiritual love, rather than mere desire or lust. (However, there is an interesting note that there is also an Aphrodite Pandemos, who for some represented lust and for others represented uniting people in a larger political body.)

So to me Wilson's theological interpretation is defensible.