View Poll Results: How did you feel about this issue ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • ⭐️

2 11.11%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️

5 27.78%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

7 38.89%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

2 11.11%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

2 11.11%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Now, I can't draw my way out of a paper bag nor can I write an acclaimed series of stories to save my life. I have much respect for anyone who pursues a creative and artistic profession.

That being said, I found the artwork for this issue was not to my liking at all. The facial expressions, the poses, the perspectives and compositions were all off or awkward to me. I don't think Tom Derenick's style suits Wonder Woman at all. And it affected my reception of this issue.

As for the story side, this was a let down. As others have noted, the death of Aphrodite shouldn't mean love is dead for the entire world. It should deeply affect those who believe she is the embodiment of Love--the Amazons, the other Olympians, maybe even extended to Steve due to his connection with Diana. But the rest of the world running loveless and rampant is just odd.

The choice of showing the fight against Cheetah in flashbacks rather than real-time diminishes the intensity and import of it.

I gave this issue 2 stars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Another disappointment.

Flimsy premise: Diana suddenly cannot love, therefore cannot defend herself in battle so we get a few panels of Cheetah easily defeating Diana in flashback...? Plus Corny dialog, slap-dash art & of course, more needy, whiny Steve.

Veronica Cale pretty much summed it up best; "Well, you get what you get".
    Preach it, Veronica.

Also, how on earth did Diana and Steve miss that she wS walking around with a piece of shrapnel in her side?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

All-New Member

An issue written by GWW is badly-written? Must be a day that ends in y.

Words cannot describe how disappointed I've been with her run. I loved her Marvel work, so I had hopes that she would return some softness and sentimentality to WW after the disaster that was Robinson's Jason book. And yet reading the interviews she's given out since taking over, it's so painfully obvious she cannot grasp the character at all (I still remember that time she cheerfully announced on her twitter, 14 friggin' issues in, that she's "finally" hitting a stride with the character). She complained about Diana being a "difficult character to write" back when she first started penning the book. Her characterization of Diana is that of a weak-willed little girl who reacts to events happening around her instead of taking an active role in solving problems. This Diana lets people who barely know her like Giganta and Atlantiades psychoanalyze her, and instead of telling them to piss off, she's actually affected by their words and mopes as a result. If you told me this character is the champion of the Amazons, I would've laughed. Not to mention how Atlantiades and Maggie are such annoyingly obvious creator's pets and get to do all the cool and heroic stuff, while Diana has become a supporting character in her own title.

All in all it seemed to me like the she took the job because WW is such an iconic character and every comic book writer wants to write for her at least once. Because the way she's writing WW, no one can convince me she cares a lick about the character.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Oh boy, this was a mixed bag. I really like the threat of the Godkiller sword but I feel like Wilson diluted Cheetah in the process. Diana acts like she would have had no problem beating Cheetah if she didn't have the Godkiller. Did Wilson forget that Cheetah got her abilities from a god just like Diana did? Plus during their fight, Cheetah relied solely on the Godkiller. She didn't try to attack Diana with her claws or her prehensile tail. Plus - what was up with everyone asking about Diana's "weapons" like her shield & her bracelets but no-one bothered to mention the lasso? The art was quite nice and I enjoyed the tense interactions between Diana and Steve even with the absence of love. I just wish Wilson had done her homework on Cheetah and presented her as more of a threat without just the Godkiller.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I really only liked the scene with Veronica.

IDK, I really liked this run's first couple arcs, but as it's gone on it's just kind of dragged. Diana whining to Etta that she can't come see her because "she's not well" was kind of pathetic. And while I wasn't a fan of the relationship, it seems off that Diana bringing up Cheetah gets no reaction from Etta. Steve and Atlantidades were annoying.

Really can't wait for Orlando to start.

It makes no sense that Cheetah murders a GOD on a beach in fictional Ocean City, ..then runs all the way back to DC to creep along the rooftops, watching people tear each other apart in the newly compassion-less world that her murder created. Washington is more than fifty miles from the Atlantic coast.

That's problematic for two reasons.

This story should be unfolding in Ocean City, VA. Diana laments that the goddess of love was murdered in her house, there, ..twice. Imagine what the people of her beach town are going to think...say, ..when they find out that a god-murdering Cheetah was loose in their backyards, while Diana was off protecting the citizens of Washington, DC.

Again what does Cheetah want?

It appears that Cheetah has ambitions of creating a predator-Earth, upon which human beings are hunting each other down and ripping each other apart. That needs to be made clear and understandable to readers, or GW runs the risk of writing a Cheetah story, like all the rest, in which she's running around killing people for no apparent reason. Bar Minerva needs an agenda worthy, of a world-class supervillain. This story is an opportunity to give her that...

And I hope GW makes the best of it.

Lastly, ..Atlantiades and Diana, except for those big white wings, still look too much alike. Further, GW scripts her, too similarly to how she scripts dialogue for Diana. Giving Atlantiades's jet black hair, a white streak, or turn it white or silver entirely would help us distinguish one from the other. Otherwise, Atlantiades becomes another Donna and, therefore, ..hopelessly superfluous and boring.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-12-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Lastly, ..Atlantiades and Diana, except for those big white wings, still look too much alike. Further, GW scripts her, too similarly to how she scripts dialogue for Diana. Giving Atlantiades's jet black hair, a white streak, or turn it white or silver entirely would help us distinguish one from the other. Otherwise, Atlantiades becomes another Donna and, therefore, ..hopelessly superfluous and boring.
    Having nearly every woman look alike is a common fault for comics artists, and Derenick (and most of the other artists) have consistently been moving away from Atlantiades's more androgynous form, as designed by Xermanico, to instead make them more feminine. So I get that criticism.

But I can't agree on the dialogue issue. All of Wilson's characters do a lot of code-switching in the way they talk and to me there are some rather clear differences in Diana's language modes compared to Atlantiades or Aphrodite. Both Aphrodite and Atlantiades tend towards the ultraformal (except that Atlantiades also have a really heavy snark mode as well), even more so than Diana, and Diana isn't using her formal mode that often, and noticably not that often towards the gods. There she tends to be exasperated, as often as not.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Why/how would Cheetah benefit, by murdering Love? Turning the world into something she can thrive in - a human safari. A killing field...in which she is the apex predator, and which reflects us her monstrous nature and hyper-Darwinist beliefs.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Why/how would Cheetah benefit, by murdering Love? Turning the world into something she can thrive in - a human safari. A killing field...in which she is the apex predator, and which reflects us her monstrous nature and hyper-Darwinist beliefs.
    She’s an apex predator already. I don’t see this giving her any advantage.

As far as Darwinism goes, scientically love is about chemical responses in the brain paired with behavioural imprinting. It has nothing to do with pretty girls born in seashells.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnn View Post
    An issue written by GWW is badly-written? Must be a day that ends in y.

Words cannot describe how disappointed I've been with her run. I loved her Marvel work, so I had hopes that she would return some softness and sentimentality to WW after the disaster that was Robinson's Jason book. And yet reading the interviews she's given out since taking over, it's so painfully obvious she cannot grasp the character at all (I still remember that time she cheerfully announced on her twitter, 14 friggin' issues in, that she's "finally" hitting a stride with the character). She complained about Diana being a "difficult character to write" back when she first started penning the book. Her characterization of Diana is that of a weak-willed little girl who reacts to events happening around her instead of taking an active role in solving problems. This Diana lets people who barely know her like Giganta and Atlantiades psychoanalyze her, and instead of telling them to piss off, she's actually affected by their words and mopes as a result. If you told me this character is the champion of the Amazons, I would've laughed. Not to mention how Atlantiades and Maggie are such annoyingly obvious creator's pets and get to do all the cool and heroic stuff, while Diana has become a supporting character in her own title.

All in all it seemed to me like the she took the job because WW is such an iconic character and every comic book writer wants to write for her at least once. Because the way she's writing WW, no one can convince me she cares a lick about the character.
    Love this!

It’s one thing to write Diana as reflective. It’s something else entirely to write her as so vacillating and lacking in self esteem that she will be sent into an identity crisis by the words of convicted criminals and narcissists with their own agenda to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Oh boy, this was a mixed bag. I really like the threat of the Godkiller sword but I feel like Wilson diluted Cheetah in the process. Diana acts like she would have had no problem beating Cheetah if she didn't have the Godkiller. Did Wilson forget that Cheetah got her abilities from a god just like Diana did? Plus during their fight, Cheetah relied solely on the Godkiller. She didn't try to attack Diana with her claws or her prehensile tail. Plus - what was up with everyone asking about Diana's "weapons" like her shield & her bracelets but no-one bothered to mention the lasso?
    Excellent point. The lasso has consistently been shown as the go-to defence against Cheetah, but it isn’t even shown during the fight.

I was wondering if I judged this issue too harshly, but reading these comments I stand by my one.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-12-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Hars

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    She’s an apex predator already. I don’t see this giving her any advantage.

As far as Darwinism goes, scientically love is about chemical responses in the brain paired with behavioural imprinting. It has nothing to do with pretty girls born in seashells.
    Not quite what I meant...

Bar Minerva doesnt quite have the safari-Earth that I think she wants. By removing Love and compassion, I think Cheetah has reduced us all to her bestial level. We all quite literally will eat each other alive - streets running with blood. Only then, has she created a world, in which her impulses rule, ..with none of humanity's morality or notions of civilization in the way...

Survival of the fittest. This is the Darwinist obsession I'm talking about.

This is what i think GW is working on, (finally) a sustainable motivation for Cheetah. If so, to make it stick, she must make that clearly stated, by Minerva, ..because Minerva is the monster. The Cheetah persona is merely the WMD that she uses to realize her bloody ambitions - ambitions thst put her on a deadly collision course with Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-12-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Clarity

Oh god. It seems like all the complexity Cheetah had in Rucka's days is gone? Making her main reason to be a villain the survival of the fittest doesn't seem like a good idea. Also, how could an archaeologist scholar kill a goddess without a little hesitation or - idk - sense of wonder?

Maybe I'm spoiled by Rucka's version. But we had Vita Ayala's tale which was a great depiction of the character. I don't think making Cheetah this stereotype of villany is the best way to make her stick as WW's achenemesis.

As a huge Ms. Marvel fan, I'm a bit disappointed from day one with this run, unfortunately. It lacks focus.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post

As a huge Ms. Marvel fan, I'm a bit disappointed from day one with this run, unfortunately. It lacks focus.
    Most particularly, focus on Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Oh god. It seems like all the complexity Cheetah had in Rucka's days is gone? Making her main reason to be a villain the survival of the fittest doesn't seem like a good idea. Also, how could an archaeologist scholar kill a goddess without a little hesitation or - idk - sense of wonder?

Maybe I'm spoiled by Rucka's version. But we had Vita Ayala's tale which was a great depiction of the character. I don't think making Cheetah this stereotype of villany is the best way to make her stick as WW's achenemesis...

But, if you don't give her this obsession or something similar...I think she's basically Sabertooth. She's a crazy cat-lady running around scratching people, for no apparent reason. She's Catra...the jealous beauty. She's a one-dimensional, Saturday morning cartoon cackling maniacally!

Mee-ahhaha!! Now, that I've stolen the Magic Bladder Stone, I'll rain golden showers from the skies, all over the world, ..starting with PARADISE ISLAND!!!

Cheetah, if she's to be Diana's arch, has got to do better than that...be more than that? Don't you think?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-12-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

But, if you don't give her this obsession or something similar...I think she's basically Sabertooth. She's a crazy cat-lady running around scratching people, for no apparent reason. She's Catra...the jealous beauty. She's a one-dimensional, Saturday morning cartoon cackling maniacally!

Mee-ahhaha!! Now, that I've stolen the Magic Bladder Stone, I'll rain golden showers from the skies, all over the world, ..starting with PARADISE ISLAND!!!

Cheetah, if she's to be Diana's arch, has got to do better than that...be more than that? Don't you think?
    I think the point is she was, when Rucka was writing her. She didnt even want to be the Cheetah.

For me, a much more piognant reason for Minerva to kill love would be because her own love with Etta was basically murdered by Cale. So now she is acting out against the whole concept of love, trying to show how it promises happiness but ultimately dies unfulfilled and leaves nothing but emptiness.

(Damn, that’s actually pretty good LOL)