Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Whose Idea Was It To Cut Joker's Face Off?

One of the greatest misteps of the New Fifty Two was the bizarre idea to cut Joker's face off. Ultra-violence was a popular mainstay of 00's superhero comics, but the early 2010's seemed to be when that trend slowly lost steam.

It was a classic examples of an obviously bad idea that was quickly discarded and forgotten. What's unclear to me however, was whose idea was Joker getting his face cut off in the first place? Scott Snyder is an obvious contender because he wrote the core issues of Death of the Family and his horror background, but it could easily be editorial as well. I might be going on a limb here, but I think it's entirely possible that it was Tony S. Daniel's idea, due to the fact that Joker's face was cut off in his first issue of Detective.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-30-2022 at 07:40 AM.

^^^More than likely. But for what it's worth, Capullo nailed it (IMHO):

That still doesn't make any sense to me. Was a reason offered in-story that I'm forgetting, or was it as senseless as I remember?

Agreed on Capullo, but he always nails it. I have to admit that in the right artist's hands, it makes quite an image.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What's unclear to me however, was whose idea was Joker getting his face cut off in the first place? Scott Snyder is an obvious contender because he wrote the core issues of Death of the Family and his horror background, but it could easily be editorial as well.
    It was an indirect editorial idea in the sense that editorial demanded some drastic change, but Scott Snyder and Tony Daniel steered it (for better or worse) to "face cut off."

Scott Snyder: "[Tony Daniel & I] bonded over what we were going to do with the Joker: DC wanted us to kill him or lobotomize him and Tony and I came up with the idea of taking his face off together. And he was like 'If I do that, you've got to have a story for it!' and I was like 'I have a story for it, I promise you!'"
    https://www.cbr.com/batman-scott-sny...of-the-family/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-30-2022 at 08:37 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    That still doesn't make any sense to me. Was a reason offered in-story that I'm forgetting, or was it as senseless as I remember?

Agreed on Capullo, but he always nails it. I have to admit that in the right artist's hands, it makes quite an image.
    In-story Joker had his face ripped off so he could fade back into the shadows and wouldn't be recognized until he was ready to make a big splash back in Gotham.

I didn't mind the "face cut off" angle for Joker, because, based on Black Mirror and Snyder's interviews, I already knew that Scott intended on injecting more over horror elements into Batman comics, and, especially with Capullo drawing, the "face cut off" was effective at that goal of horroring/slashering up Joker somewhat.

In a way, I really believe Heath Ledger's disfigured-face Joker did a lot to pave some open mindedness or acceptance for this "face cut off" period of Joker.

I think it worked well enough to drum up some interest/attention in comic Joker (Snyder's Joker). Did it work entirely? I don't know, maybe I wouldn't go that far.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-30-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In-story Joker had his face ripped off so he could fade back into the shadows and wouldn't be recognized until he was ready to make a big splash back in Gotham.
    Seems like taking out a mosquito with a bazooka. He couldn't design a costume and mask, in a city already overloaded with masked weirdos? (Of course, that had already been done in Morrison's Batman and Robin.)

I know, it's comics, and he's crazy.

There was also figurative aspects like rebirth, Joker shedding (some) skin so to speak to be reborn, regain 'face.' It wasn't absolutely solely to help remain hidden.

Snyder did a lot snake/dragon stuff with Joker. The snake in the garden of eden...a seductive tongue but one that lied, one that tempted you to betray yourself and all that is good. The (snake-ish) dragon vs the knight.

Morrison would the same kinds of dense layers of symbolism with characters (even Morrison gave Joker a forked tongue to compare him to a snake, which would then also connect Joker to ouroboros, transformation/death/rebirth, etc)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-30-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It was an indirect editorial idea in the sense that editorial demanded some drastic change, but Scott Snyder and Tony Daniel steered it (for better or worse) to "face cut off."

https://www.cbr.com/batman-scott-sny...of-the-family/
    Oh that's better than I thought. At least it was planned.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'd have guessed Scott Snyder, as he wanted to lean into horror elements for his Joker arcs. He definitely made Joker feel like a genuine threat for the first time in about a decade, so gets kudos for that.

I still think it's on the right side of comic book nonsense and enjoy it for the very limited time it was a thing.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

this was in New 52 'Tec #1 right?

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Huh, I probably would have preferred first two options over what we got. Snyder focusing so much on Joker was big, if not the biggest, flaw in his DC career.

Extraordinary Member

DC wanting to kill Joker is a surprisingly brave move. It definitely would have been better than cutting off Joker's face and Death of the Family, a story which only exists to spell out something fans had known for decades and which was always better left unsaid.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    DC wanting to kill Joker is a surprisingly brave move.
    It wouldn't have lasted long. No chance in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'd have guessed Scott Snyder, as he wanted to lean into horror elements for his Joker arcs. He definitely made Joker feel like a genuine threat for the first time in about a decade, so gets kudos for that.

I still think it's on the right side of comic book nonsense and enjoy it for the very limited time it was a thing.
    Maybe a little too much...
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    this was in New 52 'Tec #1 right?
    Yep.