Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

As I recall he was whisked away from the trial by Mentor and the trial was never concluded so he wasn't convicted but he wasn't ruled innocent either. Of course I may be forgetting something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    As I recall he was whisked away from the trial by Mentor and the trial was never concluded so he wasn't convicted but he wasn't ruled innocent either. Of course I may be forgetting something.
    No, the trial was conducted a few issues later on Titan, using telepaths to determine the truth. It was discovered that Thanos (or rather, one of Thanos' many clones that he has running around) tampered with Eros' mind, implanting a false memory from their childhood. That process caused Eros some brain damage that affected his personality (causing his strange behaviour in the earlier issues) and causing him to lose full control of his powers, so he was sometimes affecting people unintentionally. Eros was found to never have been guilty of intentionally using his powers on anyone in that way.

He agreed to have his pleasure powers turned off, as part of the procedure necessary to repair the brain damage--because he was disgusted by the idea of affecting someone in that way and wanted to make sure it would not happen again.

Apparently sometime after that they found a way to restore his powers safely though, since he has had them back in again in some appearances since then (AVENGERS: RAGE OF ULTRON and Lemire's run on THANOS for example).

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    No, the trial was conducted a few issues later on Titan, using telepaths to determine the truth. It was discovered that Thanos (or rather, one of Thanos' many clones that he has running around) tampered with Eros' mind, implanting a false memory from their childhood. That process caused Eros some brain damage that affected his personality (causing his strange behaviour in the earlier issues) and causing him to lose full control of his powers, so he was sometimes affecting people unintentionally. Eros was found to never have been guilty of intentionally using his powers on anyone in that way.

He agreed to have his pleasure powers turned off, as part of the procedure necessary to repair the brain damage--because he was disgusted by the idea of affecting someone in that way and wanted to make sure it would not happen again.

Apparently sometime after that they found a way to restore his powers safely though, since he has had them back in again in some appearances since then (AVENGERS: RAGE OF ULTRON and Lemire's run on THANOS for example).
    I like that Starlin in Infinity Siblings aknowledges Rage of Ultron (Eros mentions Mentor dying when Ultron took over Titan) but ignores Lemire's Thanos.

I disliked Lemire's Thanos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I like that Starlin in Infinity Siblings aknowledges Rage of Ultron (Eros mentions Mentor dying when Ultron took over Titan) but ignores Lemire's Thanos.

Both depictions ignore the reality that a 1st generation Earth born Eternal like Mentor likely isn't dead from either Ultron's attack or Thanos's punch. That generation of Eternals has survived a lot more than that.

Astonishing Member

In all honesty this doesn't sound like anything particular new or interesting

Thanos is all powerful again

Must be a day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Both depictions ignore the reality that a 1st generation Earth born Eternal like Mentor likely isn't dead from either Ultron's attack or Thanos's punch. That generation of Eternals has survived a lot more than that.
    You are assuming current Marvel editors and authors know that Mentor is more than just a old guy.

Mighty Member

The first trilogy was pretty decent, even if it didn't have too much new to say about Thanos and Adam Warlock. I'm excited to see what Starlin's endgame is here - Starlin's Thanos has almost always been metaphotically struggling with his quest for power, so actually struggling with himself might provide something new in terms of his psyche. Since Marvel doesn't seem to acknowledge whatever Starlin's been doing for the last 5 years, maybe editorial won't pay attention if he does something fun at the end. That's not really my expectation, but I imagine I'll enjoy it. And buy an omnibus of the whole thing in 5 years.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

Ah I knew I was forgetting something.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I'm pretty excited to read this, but I'm dreading all the retcons Starlin is gonna pull out to make Thanos OP and then return everything back to normal at the end because he knows his status quo's will be ignored by most writers. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in a new "omni-god" that's even more powerful than the One-Above-All-Others since he didn't have the Living Tribunal question there being a possibility of one for no reason.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I'm pretty excited to read this, but I'm dreading all the retcons Starlin is gonna pull out to make Thanos OP and then return everything back to normal at the end because he knows his status quo's will be ignored by most writers.
    Actually, Starlin said a while back that he is treating his graphic novels as his own separate Starlin-verse so that he doesn't have to worry about everything going on in current Marvel continuity. He still references some modern continuity now and then (like the reference to Mentor's death, and having members of the Black Order appear) but he's not worried about making sure what he does fits with the current stories or trying to "fix" other writers' use of Thanos so it lines up with his vision.

Astonishing Member

I didn't like everything about it, but I did like how it made decent use of some of Thanos' "family" like Starfox, Nebula and Thane.

I didn't like everything about it, but I did like how it made decent use of some of Thanos' "family" like Starfox, Nebula and Thane.
    The only good thing about it was getting rid of Thane.

I dislike Thane because he was just a tool for Marvel to push the Inhumans and because a loyal servant of Mistress Death like Thanos would never make kids.

My head canon is that Thane is actually a special Thanosi with Inhuman genes.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    The first trilogy was pretty decent, even if it didn't have too much new to say about Thanos and Adam Warlock. I'm excited to see what Starlin's endgame is here - Starlin's Thanos has almost always been metaphotically struggling with his quest for power, so actually struggling with himself might provide something new in terms of his psyche. Since Marvel doesn't seem to acknowledge whatever Starlin's been doing for the last 5 years, maybe editorial won't pay attention if he does something fun at the end. That's not really my expectation, but I imagine I'll enjoy it. And buy an omnibus of the whole thing in 5 years.
    That's why i want Thanos to be put on a long hiatus. Starlin has become a one trick pony yes, but the real tragedy is no one at Marvel tries to capture Thanos' intellect and moral ambiguity. That's the bigger problem.

I''m weary of the jumping thuggish Thanos.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 09-24-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Mighty Member

That's why i want Thanos to be put on a long hiatus. Starlin has become a one trick pony yes, but the real tragedy is no one at Marvel tries to capture Thanos' intellect and moral ambiguity. That's the bigger problem.

I''m weary of the jumping thuggish Thanos.
    It's funny that MCU Thanos was reasonably introspective and thoughtful, but a lot of recent 616 Thanos is just, what, a space gangster? Sure, early Thanos (Thanos War) was a space gangster, but he was also really smart and strategic. Now he's just a plot device . . .

I'll miss Starlin's Thanos if this is his last appearance (which it seems like it will be). It's been seriously fun seeing Starlin come back every few years to see if there's anything left to say with and about him
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    It's funny that MCU Thanos was reasonably introspective and thoughtful, but a lot of recent 616 Thanos is just, what, a space gangster? Sure, early Thanos (Thanos War) was a space gangster, but he was also really smart and strategic. Now he's just a plot device . . .

I'll miss Starlin's Thanos if this is his last appearance (which it seems like it will be). It's been seriously fun seeing Starlin come back every few years to see if there's anything left to say with and about him
    Yeah, it will be a sad day when we will never see the ''real'' Thanos again.

I'm sorry, i'm not saying that others can't make a good story, i'm saying that if you don't write Thanos like Starlin or Giffen you are writing about a Thanosi clone. I'll stand by that untill the end.