Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    In all honesty this doesn't sound like anything particular new or interesting

Thanos is all powerful again

Must be a day of the week
    Basically this happens when Thanks doesn't find anything interesting on holo-TV.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Or feels the need to get into trouble.

Mighty Member

I've always felt like trouble found him. He's like Jeffy from Family Circus. He (Thanos, just in case you stopped reading Family Circus and thought it got dark) was resurrected by Death to re-balance the universe. Warlock gave him the Reality Gem. He just happened to notice the various supra-Eternity entities screwing with the universe. He just happened to be altered by his future self to bring about his own apotheosis. Thanos was literally just minding his own business when all those things happened to him!!

I honestly can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or defending Thanos. It might be both
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

BANNED

If he hadn't ventured out of deaths realm then he could have avoided being dragged into the whole mess in the first place.He felt ennui and thought stirring up **** was a good idea and the whole saga kicked off.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I've always felt like trouble found him. He's like Jeffy from Family Circus. He (Thanos, just in case you stopped reading Family Circus and thought it got dark) was resurrected by Death to re-balance the universe. Warlock gave him the Reality Gem. He just happened to notice the various supra-Eternity entities screwing with the universe. He just happened to be altered by his future self to bring about his own apotheosis. Thanos was literally just minding his own business when all those things happened to him!!

I honestly can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or defending Thanos. It might be both
    Actually, he was going to stop searching for trouble and he even got together with Death in Annihilation. But then the Cancerverse happened.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    If he hadn't ventured out of deaths realm then he could have avoided being dragged into the whole mess in the first place.He felt ennui and thought stirring up **** was a good idea and the whole saga kicked off.
    But then we wouldn't have the amazing Thanos and Warlock stories from the nineties.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    But then we wouldn't have the amazing Thanos and Warlock stories from the nineties.
    I was speaking with regard to this trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I was speaking with regard to this trilogy.
    Ah okay.

I think the best ending for Thanos was The End where he sacrifices himself to restore the universe after being verbally owned by Adam Warlock and getting a kiss from Death.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Any ideas when reviews are coming up for this? Not that I care about those, but it would be nice to get some more insight.

Astonishing Member

Basically this happens when Thanks doesn't find anything interesting on holo-TV.
    I've always found it laughable that thanos should ever reach such levels of power when the universe is populated by beings immeasurable more powerful than him that really should and could stomp him before it becomes an issue

The gauntlet was a surprise to most, so it sort of worked

And I realise this point was explored in thanos wins story arc, badly imo

Put simply, I've never seen why he was any level of threat to the powers of the universe as a whole

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I've always found it laughable that thanos should ever reach such levels of power when the universe is populated by beings immeasurable more powerful than him that really should and could stomp him before it becomes an issue

The gauntlet was a surprise to most, so it sort of worked

And I realise this point was explored in thanos wins story arc, badly imo

Put simply, I've never seen why he was any level of threat to the powers of the universe as a whole
    IG aside, cosmic powers DID try and stop him, almost from the beginning. If you recall, it was the abstracts of Lord Order and Master Chaos who engineered Spider-Man getting Thing to go and free the Avengers and the soul of Warlock to kill Thanos way back when.

And it was Kronos who resurrected Arthur Douglas as Drax the Destroyer, not once but twice, to stop his grandson Thanos.

I think the issue here is that the high level cosmics tend to not get directly involved until there is a direct threat to them. Thanos with a cosmic cube or using the infinity gems as he first did, is not a direct threat. Using the gems to their full potential in IG or with the Heart of the Universe is a direct threat and you see them taking action.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Any ideas when reviews are coming up for this? Not that I care about those, but it would be nice to get some more insight.
    I can post one on Tuesday if you'd like - Amazon says it'll appear magically at my doorstep then. I kind of doubt we see any early reviews. Doesn't appear like Starlin is doing any pre-publication press.

I re-read the first 5 OGNs and the two minis (plus the annual) the last couple weeks to prepare for this release. It'll be interesting to see how Starlin decides to end this story - I mean, kind of obviously, Eros and Warlock will thwart future Thanos's scheme, reality will go back to normal, and Thanos will debate learning a lesson from the whole thing. More, I wonder if various things he's put in play earlier - an alternate Adam Warlock as Living Tribunal, Atleza, the Heart of the Universe, etc. - may rear their head as part of the inevitable end of the story.

I also have a stray thought that, if Starlin really does think himself done with Thanos and Marvel, we might catch a glimpse of Captain Marvel. While Thanos has evolved quite a bit as a character since The Death of Captain Marvel, they do have a strong connection and it'd be fitting if he was somehow involved (death by damned).

BANNED

Maybe Thanos fulfills a life long obsession and gets absorbed by Death.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I can post one on Tuesday if you'd like - Amazon says it'll appear magically at my doorstep then. I kind of doubt we see any early reviews. Doesn't appear like Starlin is doing any pre-publication press.

I re-read the first 5 OGNs and the two minis (plus the annual) the last couple weeks to prepare for this release. It'll be interesting to see how Starlin decides to end this story - I mean, kind of obviously, Eros and Warlock will thwart future Thanos's scheme, reality will go back to normal, and Thanos will debate learning a lesson from the whole thing. More, I wonder if various things he's put in play earlier - an alternate Adam Warlock as Living Tribunal, Atleza, the Heart of the Universe, etc. - may rear their head as part of the inevitable end of the story.

I also have a stray thought that, if Starlin really does think himself done with Thanos and Marvel, we might catch a glimpse of Captain Marvel. While Thanos has evolved quite a bit as a character since The Death of Captain Marvel, they do have a strong connection and it'd be fitting if he was somehow involved (death by damned).
    J don't think Mar-Vell needs to come back. The Death of Captain Mar-Vell is such a well done story that it would be disrespectful bringing the character back to life just for fanservice.

Mighty Member

J don't think Mar-Vell needs to come back. The Death of Captain Mar-Vell is such a well done story that it would be disrespectful bringing the character back to life just for fanservice.
    I meant in the same way Thanos appeared to Captain Marvel at his death - the ghost or shade of Mar-vell returning the favor and convincing Thanos to either let go or fight on (depending on the situation).