Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I meant in the same way Thanos appeared to Captain Marvel at his death - the ghost or shade of Mar-vell returning the favor and convincing Thanos to either let go or fight on (depending on the situation).
    That would be beautiful.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

The only thing that Marvel is producing these days, that I am looking forward to.
    Anything that has Starlin and Davis on it will get my money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    IG aside, cosmic powers DID try and stop him, almost from the beginning. If you recall, it was the abstracts of Lord Order and Master Chaos who engineered Spider-Man getting Thing to go and free the Avengers and the soul of Warlock to kill Thanos way back when.

And it was Kronos who resurrected Arthur Douglas as Drax the Destroyer, not once but twice, to stop his grandson Thanos.

I think the issue here is that the high level cosmics tend to not get directly involved until there is a direct threat to them. Thanos with a cosmic cube or using the infinity gems as he first did, is not a direct threat. Using the gems to their full potential in IG or with the Heart of the Universe is a direct threat and you see them taking action.
    I can get that they might have held off in his early efforts, for reasons you say

But even there they really should have learned from that, it's not like he really gave up on the idea of taking over the universe, at least not significantly

But them aside there's plenty of below abstract level but still well beyond thanos power beings who imo really should have stopped him hard long before, and really could have

I appreciate that effectively takes him out of play as a character but my point is really that he does often overreach his normal power level in order to be the big kid in the yard that I just can't take him seriously as a character anymore when the real powers of the universe don't just put him down

Permanently
    Last edited by kilderkin; 09-28-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The only thing that Marvel is producing these days, that I am looking forward to.
    Anything that has Starlin and Davis on it will get my money.
    Agree. Cates GOTG is the only current Marvel series that interests me.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Hey guys the time is almost upon us, the (arguably) Final ever time we will see Starlin's Thanos, the real Thanos, will arrive tomorrow, let me know your expectations and come back tomorrow to let me know when your thoughts and review it if you want

Mighty Member

I got mine today. I'll save spoilers for tomorrow, but I found it a satisfying conclusion to this 6 book arc of Starlin's, but it left me wanting as his last work with these characters. There's a nice foreward by him, and Alan Davis's art and page composition are award worthy.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I got mine today. I'll save spoilers for tomorrow, but I found it a satisfying conclusion to this 6 book arc of Starlin's, but it left me wanting as his last work with these characters. There's a nice foreward by him, and Alan Davis's art and page composition are award worthy.
    Ah, gotcha. Glad to hear it's good.

You should check out my other Thanos discussion threads.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Since the book is officially out, can anyone summarize what happens at the end?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Since the book is officially out, can anyone summarize what happens at the end?
    spoilers:

The very quick version - Pip and Eros go to the end of time and see future-Thanos commit suicide to end reality. They decide to travel through time trying to incept Thanos into caring about Eros, hoping that compassion will lead him away from his nihilism. This fails, but not before they meet up w/current-Thanos (residing inside future-Thanos). As future-Thanos kills them, Warlock meets up w/current-Thanos and tells him he has a plan, but can't tell Thanos what it is. Warlock (who has regained the Soul Gem via weird time travel stuff) enlists Kang to pull Eros and Pip out of the timeline as they begin the inception plan. Eros missing from reality confuses future-Thanos, which gives current-Thanos a chance to break free and kill his future self, resetting reality. The only real shifts to continuity from this whole story are Warlock has the Soul Gem again, and Eros is now also an unkillable being like Thanos and Warlock.
    end of spoilers

Obviously, summarizing a time travel story are hard, so I strongly suggest reading it yourself. The art is truly fantastic and there are some nice flashbacks to Thanos's most important moments
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 10-02-2019 at 09:22 AM.

spoilers:

The very quick version - Pip and Eros go to the end of time and see future-Thanos commit suicide to end reality. They decide to travel through time trying to incept Thanos into caring about Eros, hoping that compassion will lead him away from his nihilism. This fails, but not before they meet up w/current-Thanos (residing inside future-Thanos). As future-Thanos kills them, Warlock meets up w/current-Thanos and tells him he has a plan, but can't tell Thanos what it is. Warlock (who has regained the Soul Gem via weird time travel stuff) enlists Kang to pull Eros and Pip out of the timeline as they begin the inception plan. Eros missing from reality confuses future-Thanos, which gives current-Thanos a chance to break free and kill his future self, resetting reality. The only real shifts to continuity from this whole story are Warlock has the Soul Gem again, and Eros is now also an unkillable being like Thanos and Warlock.
    end of spoilers

Obviously, summarizing a time travel story are hard, so I strongly suggest reading it yourself. The art is truly fantastic and there are some nice flashbacks to Thanos's most important moments
    It's pretty sad that we are probably never going to see Thanos written in a philosophical and nuanced way ever again. But then young readers like to complain about Starlin making a retcon saying that the thuggish and prosaic Thanos of most other writers is not the real one.

It's a no win scenario. The majority wants a purple rage monster not Thanos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    It's pretty sad that we are probably never going to see Thanos written in a philosophical and nuanced way ever again. But then young readers like to complain about Starlin making a retcon saying that the thuggish and prosaic Thanos of most other writers is not the real one.

It's a no win scenario. The majority wants a purple rage monster not Thanos.
    Have you read it yet? I found it a bit funny how little Thanos really appeared in the last Thanos story by Starlin. He is, of course, omnipresent both literally and literarily, but it kind of seemed like Starlin was more interested in Eros and Warlock for his last foray into Cosmic Marvel.

Have you read it yet? I found it a bit funny how little Thanos really appeared in the last Thanos story by Starlin. He is, of course, omnipresent both literally and literarily, but it kind of seemed like Starlin was more interested in Eros and Warlock for his last foray into Cosmic Marvel.
    Haven't read it yet, but i'm pretty sure it's gonna trigger some Thanos/Starlin detractors like what happened with the fight with the Annihilators. To be honest i'm okay with Eros getting more focus than Thanos for once since he needed some character development after Thanos has been developed for decades by Starlin.

Feel free those that hace read it to post scans (cropped) of any epic moment from Starlin's last Thanos adventure, preferably in spoiler blocks

spoilers:

end of spoilers

As i like to repeat like a broken record, nobody gets Thanos but Starlin.

However, this story seems to basically be another retelling of Infinity Gauntlet: Thanos becomes an omnipotent cosmic entity by using a mystical macguffin> Thanos realizes he is own worst enemy after trashing his foes> Adam Warlock convinces Thanos to stop being a villain through a wall of text.

I think Starlin doesn't have nothing new to say about our favorite cosmic bromance of Thanos and Warlock.

With that said i still take the least good Starlin Thanos book over Hickman, or Aaron, or Lemire, or Duggan, or Bendis. Oh Bendis Is sooooo much worse

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    As i like to repeat like a broken record, nobody gets Thanos but Starlin.

However, this story seems to basically be another retelling of Infinity Gauntlet: Thanos becomes an omnipotent cosmic entity by using a mystical macguffin> Thanos realizes he is own worst enemy after trashing his foes> Adam Warlock convinces Thanos to stop being a villain through a wall of text.

I think Starlin doesn't have nothing new to say about our favorite cosmic bromance of Thanos and Warlock.

With that said i still take the least good Starlin Thanos book over Hickman, or Aaron, or Lemire, or Duggan, or Bendis. Oh Bendis Is sooooo much worse
    I agree that this was a bit of a paint-by-numbers Thanos/Warlock story. I was a little disappointed that none of the stuff Starlin had done in the past - alt-Warlock as Living Tribunal, the new Atleza, the Thanosi - really came to the fore. Sure, it would have seemed like a greatest hits/finale episode of tv kind of thing, but it would have been a nice sign-off by Starlin. It's not like anyone else is going to use those characters. At the same time, I still enjoyed it and don't regret the purchase. Nor will I regret getting the two trilogies, the annual, and the two minis in an omnibus eventually. Alan Davis's art was so good