Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Year of the Villain: HELL ARISEN announced for December

Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Astonishing Member

Looks like a new edge fest.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Interesting I guess. Definitely seems like a prelude to something bigger.

Not really intrigued by more Batman Who Laughs.

Who asked for this?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Mighty Member

Well its clear that the Justice League can't stop Luthor so it's up to the Batman who Laughs to get the job done. Since his mini sold unbelievably it's obvious that people are interested in the BWL and I for one am backing him it this showdown with Luthor.

I have a feeling those "infected" heroes are going to end up forming a group. Y'know, like a support group for their recurring symptoms.... like herpes. You know they'll flare up now and then. Angel/Archangel could tell them about it if they weren't in different universes.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Well its clear that the Justice League can't stop Luthor so it's up to the Batman who Laughs to get the job done. Since his mini sold unbelievably it's obvious that people are interested in the BWL and I for one am backing him it this showdown with Luthor.
    What is the appeal? Batman being an evil? Joker with Batman iconography (or the other way around)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What is the appeal? Batman being an evil? Joker with Batman iconography (or the other way around)?
    He appeals to the crowd who thinks that 'dark and edgy'= 'mature, deep and good'.

Snyder figured out what certain anime / manga (Evangelion, Akame Ga Kill and seasons 3 and 4 of Yu-Gi-Oh GX to name a few) have been doing for years : make a story/ character as dark, edgy and nonsensical as possible and a vocal portion of the fan base will defend that crap as a mature and deep masterpiece.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He is basically a Batman unleashed, no morals or heroic vows restraining/constraining him. A Batman who shows what he is truly capable of and doesn't hold himself back. I buy into him more as a major villain than I do Luthor, I can accept his accomplishments more because he is essentially Batman with all the skills, training and determination that Batman possesses. Luthor is basically just a wealthy, highly
    intelligent human but I'm suppose to buy that he commands villains that far outclasses him in power and now he is dealing with cosmic power on a universal scale? And this was before he underwent his transformation to apex predator Luthor. In short the BWL is a breath of fresh air, he shakes things up and he is the dark version of DC's #1 character. I think he has staying power as a major DC villain and with how connected Batman is to the overall DCU there is ample opportunity for the BWL to interact with countless characters. From allies like the bat family and JL to even his rogue's gallery, imagine him going after Damian or Selina; the possibilities are great character interaction is endless. I like him as a character.

Honestly I’m a sucker for villain vs. villain stories so I’ll be checking this out. But come on it’s Snyder, we all know he’s incapable of having Batman lose to anyone other than another Batman or the Joker. I’ll be shocked if Lex wins this but I hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    He appeals to the crowd who thinks that 'dark and edgy'= 'mature, deep and good'.

Snyder figured out what certain anime / manga (Evangelion, Akame Ga Kill and seasons 3 and 4 of Yu-Gi-Oh GX to name a few) have been doing for years : make a story/ character as dark, edgy and nonsensical as possible and a vocal portion of the fan base will defend that crap as a mature and deep masterpiece.
    Has anyone ever actually described the Batman Who Laughs as deep and mature?

I love the character (even if he's friggin everywhere, to his detriment) but not because he's deep. My gods, no. BWL is just raw, stupid-ass fun, with a wonderful metatext about the Batgod. Of course, I'm an old school metal fan so I definitely have a soft spot for Metal; that was like a old album cover come to life in the DCU and I love how unapologetically over-the-top it is. The Metallica references alone would make me love Metal even if nothing else did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Let me just say that I am not thrilled by (yet another) "Year of the Villain", but.... does anyone see a way out of this current storyline than not a reboot? The stakes are jus so absurdly high that IO cannot see how, the moment after this event is over, everyone in the DCU can go "well, life as usual".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Let me just say that I am not thrilled by (yet another) "Year of the Villain", but.... does anyone see a way out of this current storyline than not a reboot? The stakes are jus so absurdly high that IO cannot see how, the moment after this event is over, everyone in the DCU can go "well, life as usual".
    So, who are the "infected"? I recognize a few of them, but not the girl with the sword or the guy in the suit. Are they suppose to be Donna Troy and the Question?

More Batman Who Laughs, more me not caring. The new Superboy Prime. Shows up freaking everywhere now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El