Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default The Batman (2004) 15th Anniversary!

It's been 15 years since "The Batman" premiered on Kids WB and yesterday was it's anniversary!

I just wanted to bring this up because this was the Batman cartoon I grew up on instead of the classic BTAS. It gets a lot of criticism thrown it's way especially since it follows right after BTAS but I love it all the same and perhaps even more.

The character designs were out of this world and creative. It felt like an actual elseworlds done right. This was probably my favorite version of a young Bruce/Batman. He wasn't overly serious and grim but he was very balanced. He had quips here and there and wasn't the usual moody boring character he's been stuck with nowadays.

The villains were "cartoony" versions of their comic counterparts but some of the versions in this show were my favorite. I LOVE Rasta Joker, Firefly, Penguin, Riddler, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze in this. This also has the best depiction of Killer Croc.

The action was spectacular and I love how characters were amped up to an eleven. This was like the first depiction of Poison Ivy as a huge threat with her powers. Joker actually fought back and could give Batman a hard time. Actually ALL the villains knew how to fight. They were never afraid to square up against Batman .

I won't lie the show was gimmicky so it can sell toys but it wasn't horrendously bad or obvious. Batman uses a lot of gadgets so it flowed together anyway.

What are your thoughts and opinion on it?

Man, this takes me back.

I remember growing up with B:TAS and all the DCAU Batman stuff and then watching this show when it first came out. I actually got really into it which kind of made me more surprised when I started reading online that there was a bit of a divide with "purists." But while it wasn't perfect and it definitely didn't replace B:TAS I felt it had it's own unique and interesting take on the Batman mythos and was just a general fun cartoon in it's own right .

I was also at an impressionable young age where all the anime and Japanese influences made me even more of a fan .

I really don't think he gets a lot of credit from the fandom but Rino Romano was a surprisingly solid Batman. I usually think of him more as Spider-Man, but he was also Batman for a good length of time. Alastair Duncan was also really great as Alfred. Danielle Judovits was awesome as Batgirl.

I liked a lot of the redesigns and updates for the villains the show did for the most part, even if some of them were really "out there." Mr. Freeze wasn't as strong as his previous animated depiction but their unique take on Clayface was really interesting. The show actually made a teenage Poison Ivy a convincing Supervillain. Firefly visually looked really cool. Kevin Michael Richardson won an Emmy for his Joker. I preferred Catwoman's design to some of her modern looks. Hynden Walch was probably one of the better successors to Arlene Sorkin as Harley. Robert Englund as The Riddler!

I seriously want those Kabuki Twins who always hung out with Penguin to show up in the comics.

Thank you for posting the original intro. I much preferred it to the one they used in later seasons, even if it had more "pep" .

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, this takes me back.

I remember growing up with B:TAS and all the DCAU Batman stuff and then watching this show when it first came out. I actually got really into it which kind of made me more surprised when I started reading online that there was a bit of a divide with "purists." But while it wasn't perfect and it definitely didn't replace B:TAS I felt it had it's own unique and interesting take on the Batman mythos and was just a general fun cartoon in it's own right .

I was also at an impressionable young age where all the anime and Japanese influences made me even more of a fan .

I really don't think he gets a lot of credit from the fandom but Rino Romano was a surprisingly solid Batman. I usually think of him more as Spider-Man, but he was also Batman for a good length of time. Alastair Duncan was also really great as Alfred. Danielle Judovits was awesome as Batgirl.

I liked a lot of the redesigns and updates for the villains the show did for the most part, even if some of them were really "out there." Mr. Freeze wasn't as strong as his previous animated depiction but their unique take on Clayface was really interesting. The show actually made a teenage Poison Ivy a convincing Supervillain. Firefly visually looked really cool. Kevin Michael Richardson won an Emmy for his Joker. I preferred Catwoman's design to some of her modern looks. Hynden Walch was probably one of the better successors to Arlene Sorkin as Harley. Robert Englund as The Riddler!

I seriously want those Kabuki Twins who always hung out with Penguin to show up in the comics.

Thank you for posting the original intro. I much preferred it to the one they used in later seasons, even if it had more "pep" .
    Oh wow, I had no idea Englund was Riddler! His voice was sinister now that I remember it.

The Kabuki twins were awesome! Penguin having them as bodyguards was a nice touch.

The Japanese influences were interesting because it was drawn and designed by the same person who did Jackie Chan Adventures. Everything about this show was so elseworldy and I love it because of that.

I forgot about Clayface and would have to agree. Him as Batman's ally then enemy due to Joker was great.

Speaking of allies, I loved detective Yang. What a good original character even though she kinda had Gordon's role in the beginning.

The first intro always gave me chills as a child.

Also, Frontier now that you're here, are you able to move this into the Batman forums? I wanted to put it there first.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 09-12-2019 at 07:44 PM.

This was the Batman show that I grew up with as well! It really solidified what I expect from a young Bruce Wayne early in his career to behave like. He was smart as Batman, but still socially approachable as Bruce (if I'm making any sense).

But, like Kurt Busiek said recently, everyone misinterpreted TDKR and tries to mimic the Bruce Wayne from there so we're stuck with an uneven, mean loner Batman/Bruce Wayne who acts like a socially inept moron despite not being as old as TDKR Bruce or having lived his experience.

Back on topic though, I still think this version of Mr. Freeze's design is great. When I first saw him the uneven icy block mask on his face was so cool, rather than the oldschool dome

I'm peeved they removed this from Netflix. I found it months ago on there and was rewatching it but before I could get in deep they removed it.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

I liked this cartoon.

It was designed for younger audiences than B:TAS...and I hope the next Batman cartoon will be too.

This cartoon was fun and I feel Batman could use a lot more fun right now.

Thanks for reminding me of a great show.

I'm a fan of Duane Capizzi and Jeff Matsuda who came over to Warner Bros from Sony Animation after it folded.

Their work on Men in Black, Big Guy & Rusty the Boy Robot, and especially Jackie Chan Adventures were all superb.

I loved The Batman, and I'm glad it marched to the beat of its own drummer but still remained true to the essential Batman lore.

I thought they did for Clayface what BTAS did for Mr. Freeze.

Really, I preferred this show over the Bruce Timm BTAS revamp ("The New Batman Adventures") that came with the switch from Fox to WB.

On the other hand, I've loved pretty much every Batman cartoon. I have a big soft spot for the two Filmation series.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 09-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.

BANNED

This series has always suffered from having to follow after TAS. When you're tasked with being the next up to bat (no pun intended) after the definitive version of the character has ended, that is a near-impossible challenge. But I really love this series and felt they made some brave creative choices, design-wise and tone-wise. I always admired the fact that they very deliberately wanted to forge their own identity and put their own stamp on Batman.

I was already well, well into adulthood when this came on so it's definitely not a show I have any childhood nostalgia for. I just liked it as a cool Batman show with an unique look. But it's very cool to see that people who were of the age to watch it as children have fond memories of it. Even though it will always stand in the shadow of TAS, it deserves to be remembered.

I was in middle school when it came out. I preferred it to Bruce Timm's work because i watched more of it before getting into his Batman.

I fell off it when Robin popped up but i remember season 5 the Brave and the Bold season the most. They had a Batman v Dracula movie which was dope.

I kinda wished they did an arc with Ra's al Ghul.

I took me a while to get into it. I found the first season or so kind of dull, and really disliked the art style and character designs. Once I got past that and the series found it's legs it got pretty good, though. Loved the later episodes that introduced Robin and the Justice League.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I hated this so much when it first came out because of the loss of Batman TAS and I never gave it a chance; but after The Batman was canceled I watched it during reruns and I was surprised of the quality and originality of the series.

However, I absolutely loved the movie Batman vs. Dracula

I remember there being a lot of hate for this show back when it was out; lots of people were peeved over the loss of BTAS. Did this show hold a candle to BTAS? Not in the slightest, but it was still a decent show. As for me, I ended up watching the series to its completion, while it was still airing. In the end, I'm glad The Batman came along, otherwise we may have never gotten the absolute delight that was The Batman vs. Dracula.

I loved their version of Clayface and his whole origin.

And The Batman vs Dracula is a real treat, love it. Vampire joker is just insane to see.