Question Anyone reading Stray Bullets? Thoughts? Recommendations?

I looked for earlier threads, but they were from a long time ago and generally not focused on just the series, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I read the original series when they came out and was excited when the series came over to image and I tried a few issues when they were originally being published, but I haven't really kept up on it. I tried sunshine and roses and the killers, but the killers I had no idea what was going on and with sunshine and roses it just kept going and going and I just lost interest. I think the art is still great and the writing is good and love the tone of the series, but the story just lost me and haven't really had an interest in going back. It looks like the series is still in the sunshine and roses, so I guess if that finishes I might try after that.

I dunno, anyone reading it and have different opinions? I'd like to be wrong and go pick up some issues that others recommend. I'm also of the opinion that I thought the series was at it's strongest in the first 3 arcs when it focused on orson, beth and virginia.

I'm also surprised that Lapham doesn't get the acclaim that other crime writers like Brubaker, Miller and Azzarello seem to receive. The way the story transitions from time period and characters and that the violence always feels shocking is really well done. I also just feel like the crime is more real in this series then the others. Like with Criminal I can tell Brubaker likes 70's crime movies, but Lapham feels like he uses actual criminals as research. Like I feel like there is someone like Spanish Scott in the real world, where Tracy from Criminal is a movie character that doesn't exist.

Sorry, didn't realize this was posted in Independents and not Image. Feel free to delete.
    Last edited by PoorStudent; 09-12-2019 at 08:56 PM.

The relatively low-level stuff in Stray Bullets does add to the realism. No one's a superman. Obviously some characters are better at what they do than others, but no one is anyone who can't imagine really existing, even if we'd rather not meet them.

My love for the book is in the overall arc that manages to make every issue have some sort of story and a concluding point. I can read an issue and be sure I'm getting something.

It is slower than ****, though. What's the antonym for "cool beans"?

warm fruit? I dunno. I used to think that each issue had it's own arc, but after sunshine and killers I was just completely lost as to what was going on. Maybe the storytelling was too subtle and went over my head. Like the issue where the babysitter was also a stripper and then Scott hit his dad with his car. I had not idea what was going on.

Are the newer issue's part of just one long sunshine and roses arc or are there smaller stories within it?