Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Is this related to the grocery store practice of parking your cart directly in the middle of the aisle as you obliviously make your choice?

Also...that diaper thing is nasty. Damn.
    Probably. That, and people trying to get on a bus or train without waiting for people to get off first.

I am sooo glad I have not experienced that diaper thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Probably. That, and people trying to get on a bus or train without waiting for people to get off first.
    That -- and people who try to walk right into an elevator as soon as the doors open, without pausing to see if anyone inside is trying to get out on that floor.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Laptops in schools - Did they honestly think that every kid would use them to research everything there is to know and become a super genius instead of just playing video games ALL DAY for years on end?
    As someone working on their teaching certification, I take slight issue with this one. We need to do more to digitize education, not less. In my opinion, one of the most important things that a student can get out of school is learning how to live in the world that we're in. We can't teach them to exist in an analogue world when that world doesn't exist anymore. Everything is digital, every job you will ever have is likely going to have a computer as the centerpiece, so it's best to teach students how to use technology responsibly rather than ban it.

Retired

There needs to be a way to teach people from an early age self-control on their devices. I got online late in life and for a few years it took over my life and stopped me from getting to the things I should do. I see the same thing happening to young people who can't turn off the device to experience real life.

In Vancouver, we have separated bike lanes. It's a big effort by the city to solve traffic problems and reduce pollution. So it's all the more unnerving when folks choose to bike in the traffic or on the pedestrian sidewalk, when there's a valid option that we've invested millions in developing. Even if for some reason a cyclist is forced to use the sidewalk, it's pretty easy to dismount and walk the bike in amongst the pedestrians. Some cyclists act like the saddle is glued to their butt and they couldn't dismount to save their life.

In Vienna, they've long had separated paths for pedestrians and each type of vehicle. One time, there was an elderly man that had fallen down on the pedestrian path and I stepped over onto the bike path as I checked him to see if he was okay. A young woman on her bike cursed at me in German as she passed, because I had dared to step on the bike path, even though she could clearly see the gentleman that had fallen down.

With the dogs the big thing that bugs me is when people have those leashes that I call clotheslines. So the owner is on one side of the path and the dog is over on the other side of the path and the leash is stretched across--so if you're walking on the path, it's impossible to pass them without getting clotheslined. What are they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Good. At least they can be traced back to their owners if they get lost or injured.

I'd at least hope you two are getting the animals spayed or neutered before releasing them into the neighborhood.
    Again - they come that way from the Cats Protection League - but I would pay for it to be done if it hadn't already been done.

When folks just let their Siberian Husky off leash in the dog park when I TELL THEMand THEY SEE ME attempting to catch my dog and leash him. I know I'm in the 'large dog' section and I know my dog is small but he has a Trump-like intense Hatred for the breed and after he attacks your snow white, 3 legged, Bitch, Husky. My black ass comes off as more 'thuggish' than the average and I gotta spend money I had set aside for an 8th on a stupid ticket
    GrindrStone(D)

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'd at least hope you two are getting the animals spayed or neutered before releasing them into the neighborhood.
    Yes. Of course. Both are rescues that had all of that done before we got them. And all necessary shots are taken care of.

They just walk the streets providing a necessary public service, like killing the vermin they can handle.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    My pet peeve are double parked cars and trucks. There is a street I have driven on, on occasion, where this is the norm. It's a very long street and a major one running through several business districts in several towns and cities. Driving it is like driving an obstacle course, especially at night.

This is made even worse with the cars trying to get on to this busy road from side streets that have no traffic lights. Left lane, right lane, you get it either way.
    Speaking of parking issues, where I live it seems there are a LOT of lazy, entitled assholes who feel it's their right to park as close to the front door of a business as possible even if it's a fire lane. There's a sort of strip mall with a Chinese restaurant I frequent and often when I go there, and when leaving, there's someone parked in the fire lane right in front of the door. Happens at a couple other locations in town as well, one where people will block the handicapped ramp to save walking 10 steps.

Mighty Member

When shops close earlier than the sign says and they don't leave a note on the door explaining why. (Were they robbed? family Illness?)

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    When shops close earlier than the sign says and they don't leave a note on the door explaining why. (Were they robbed? family Illness?)
    Family illness? The **** would that be any of your business?

I hate when I hear people say stuff like "Did you get the invite?" instead of "Did you get the invitation?"

I also hate when people say "For real, doe" instead of "For real, though."

"For real, doe" makes absolutely no sense to me unless someone was actually talking to a doe.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I have seen signs where the business owners will tell the public exactly why they are closed, like a death in the family or something. I guess it just depends on the business owners how much they want to reveal.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Well, if you're not going to bother maintaining your business in a professional manner, then I'm not going to support you. I'd like to know a reason you're choosing to flake off with your store. I don't need to know the specifics, but a general reason is courtesy. I've run into business that close willy-nilly often, and it's infuriating, and I will find other stores easily enough, even if I have to drive across town. Running a business? Well, you do OWE it to your patrons.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

I dislike the assumption that they're "flaking off."

I think a "sorry we had to close early today" sign is fine, but they don't owe you a reason. Especially if it's personal, such as illness or death in the family.

If you're running a business, you most certainly owe your patrons a reason. It's disrespectful not to give one. No such thing as personal if it's affecting your business. It's not too much to ask that a business owner simply say, "Death in the family" or some other important thing. To leave nothing is flaking off, pretty much by definition.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 10-19-2019 at 06:01 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST