Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Here's a story that goes back to the OP about bicycle lanes. IMO a busy road like what is shown in the accompanying video really is a dangerous spot for a bike lane. Even the article reveals that the bicyclist was in the dump truck's blind spot as it was making a right turn. She was also riding along side the truck which IMO is very dangerous. It's also plain to see that the markings of the bike lane are almost faded away. It's tragic that the woman was killed but she was bicycling at around 7am, which is darker now that we just had daylight saving time. Honestly, in a spot like this if I were on the bike I would get off and walk the bike across the intersection. In fact I would never ride a bike on a street as busy as this.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-08-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

I was in America two weeks ago and now I know what a shared bike lane really means. I, as a pedestrian had almost an accident with a biker. It was clearly my fault, but its so easy to crash into someone on that lane.

I prefer a bike lane and a separated pedestrian walk.

I can't stand it when people say "at my work" instead of "at my job." Which is weird, because I don't mind it when people say something like "I'm going to work" instead of "I'm going to my job."

Hmm...
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I really hate when the news does stories about new menu items at fast food places. it is ot a news story that Burger King has a new burger. Or that Starbucks has a new coffee drink.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

People that drive pick up trucks like assholes. So most people that drive pickup trucks.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    People that drive pick up trucks like assholes. So most people that drive pickup trucks.
    There's alot of that in Texas, for every one person who needs a truck there's a good 50 that buy them because TEXAS and park them with the same subtlety.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    In a related complaint, rolling coal.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

In NY we don't have a lot of pickups.But there are assholes in giant SUVs, seats 7, but only has the driver.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    In NY we don't have a lot of pickups.But there are assholes in giant SUVs, seats 7, but only has the driver.
    We get a lot of those over here in the UK also, especially amongst younger drivers. These ridiculously oversized SUV's that are impractical really on British roads.

Worst thing is, they only use these mammoth machines to do the weekly shopping or drop the kids off at school. It's not like they commonly drive off-road or anything. Stupid tossers.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    We get a lot of those over here in the UK also, especially amongst younger drivers. These ridiculously oversized SUV's that are impractical really on British roads.

Worst thing is, they only use these mammoth machines to do the weekly shopping or drop the kids off at school. It's not like they commonly drive off-road or anything. Stupid tossers.

Exactly. This is an example of automotive wretched excess. It makes someone driving an expensive sedan forgivable when you see a single person driving these. And you know they don't even use the flatbed since most of the time it's clean without a sign of use. I've asked some women why they drive these behemoths (I drive a Chevy Impala) and they say it's because they feel safe. But more often than not when the roads are icy in my area, it's a big truck or SUV that's run off the road into a ditch because they still drive like maniacs thinking their invulnerable.

I will tell you what I cant stand. The way my town handles winter weather. We are getting two inches of snow this week and they are billing it as the first winter storm of the season. Last year we had 1.5 inches of snow and over 100 schools were close. We get snow every year. Several times a year in fact and people panic whenever it comes. I have seen Texas handle snow better then my town of Cincinnati.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I will tell you what I cant stand. The way my town handles winter weather. We are getting two inches of snow this week and they are billing it as the first winter storm of the season. Last year we had 1.5 inches of snow and over 100 schools were close. We get snow every year. Several times a year in fact and people panic whenever it comes. I have seen Texas handle snow better then my town of Cincinnati.
    I grew up in Cincy. I can relate. Weather Panic is a thing.

OTOH, I went to a private high school. Our principal once told us that iif he could make it to work in a winter storm, everyone else could to.

He lived on the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I can't stand it when people say "at my work" instead of "at my job." Which is weird, because I don't mind it when people say something like "I'm going to work" instead of "I'm going to my job."

Hmm...
    I'm struggling to think of a sentence where "at my job" would be more appropriate than "at my work". Can you give an example?

EDIT - To elaborate a bit, "at" suggests a location - which would be "my work" there there a lots of people with different jobs, but they're all "at my work".
    Last edited by dancj; 11-11-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I thought it was just us Brits who were utterly useless when it came to dealing with snow. We're famous for it.

A light dusting of snow can close every single school in a 20 mile radius. I'm exaggerating there obviously but really not by much. Good day off for those stressed, hard working teachers.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Mighty Member

Train and bus shelters that don't really give much shelter from wind , rain or windy rain.....