Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I'm annoyed with people who let their pets wander around the neighborhood unattended. Especially if the pet has no collar with tags.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    While you're at it, why not label all motorcyclists as being members of biker gangs such as the Bandidos or Hell's Angels? But we know that's not true.

On a similar note: all cyclist aren't rude, arrogant, morons. But enough are; to the point where it becomes relatively easy to throw a blanket statement at them. My personal take on the problem is that there is no formal system to qualify people to ride bicycles in a safe, courteous way. We have formal requirements for people to become liscensed to legally drive a car, truck, or motorcycle. It's not the same for bicycles (at least here in Texas). If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it. With bicycles, all we really look for is for someone to keep their balance and not fall down. After that we send them off on their own devices. Which is ridiculous -- in my opinion -- since we do actually have bicycle laws. We really do leave it up to individuals to educate themselves on what it means to be smart, safe cyclists. Many seem content to ride around in ignorant bliss.
    I have no problem with sweeping, broad statements. We're talking in broad terms afterall. The vast majority of bike riders act as if the rules of the road don't apply to them and insist everyone else cater to them. They insist on limited road space being taken for them, even if they volume of bike riders doesn't support the investment. It's just...annoying.

I appreciate the effort not to drive and help the environment. Some semblance of self-awareness and law following would be nice though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'm annoyed with people who let their pets wander around the neighborhood unattended. Especially if the pet has no collar with tags.
    I will add....pets in the airplane cabin that are not licensed service animals.

Are you including cats in that? They should be able to freely wander - and no cat of mine will ever have a collar.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I was watching an ad on tv for bed sheets. And they proudly claim to be made from Organic Cotton. WTF is organic cotton, Is the heath craze going to batshit crazy that we have to have organic cotton?
    I think it is more environmental than health craze.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Are you including cats in that? They should be able to freely wander - and no cat of mine will ever have a collar.
    Quite frankly, I have yet to see a collar that any self-respecting cat can't get out of. Good luck to anyone who tries; they are four-legged Houdinis.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quite frankly, I have yet to see a collar that any self-respecting cat can't get out of. Good luck to anyone who tries; they are four-legged Houdinis.
    In fact, you're supposed to make sure they can easily get out of any collars to prevent accidental hangings.

Although I'm sorta cool with free range kitties, inside cats do tend to live longer.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    In fact, you're supposed to make sure they can easily get out of any collars to prevent accidental hangings.

Although I'm sorta cool with free range kitties, inside cats do tend to live longer.
    That's definitely one of the gambles of letting cats (or dogs) go walkabout: they might not come back. There are plenty of reasons for this: getting hit by cars, hauled off by animal control, mauled by other animals. The list can go on. Free range pets can also be exposed to diseases carried by other critters that they encounter in the open. We used to let our cats go outside. But not anymore; due to the list of reasons above.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's definitely one of the gambles of letting cats (or dogs) go walkabout: they might not come back. There are plenty of reasons for this: getting hit by cars, hauled off by animal control, mauled by other animals. The list can go on. Free range pets can also be exposed to diseases carried by other critters that they encounter in the open. We used to let our cats go outside. But not anymore; due to the list of reasons above.
    Since our cats were always foundlings we talked our parents into keeping, we never could make them stay in the house all time, except in the bad winter months. They were pretty good with their collars and we got a tag from the vet to show they had their yearly rabies shots.
    But you're right about the hazards. One cat came home with a bullet would that we could actually see through the exit wound. The vet couldn't save him. Another cat we had never came home one night and then we found her on the sidewalk next door. She probably was mauled by dogs. But that was how they were. They had to roam free and still had a bit of a hunter instinct. The chain link fence didn't stop them from jumping over it.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Yes, for all of the reasons below and a few more.

I'll add that free pets tend to wander into other peoples yards and kill wild animals, defecate, fight with that families pets or each other and damage property. If the wandering pet is hurt or captured and has no tags, the person has no choice but to take it to animal control. In the US it may have a chip, but people rarely do that either.
    I constantly have cats and dogs in my yard, which wouldn't normally be a problem since I love animals, but they treat each other pretty badly. I've grown tired of finding half-eaten rabbits and birds and a few times dead cats, in my yard.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I'll add that free pets tend to wander into other peoples yards and kill wild animals, defecate, fight with that families pets or each other and damage property. If the wandering pet is hurt or captured and has no tags, the person has no choice but to take it to animal control. In the US it may have a chip, but people rarely do that either.
    I constantly have cats and dogs in my yard, which wouldn't normally be a problem since I love animals, but they treat each other pretty badly. I've grown tired of finding half-eaten rabbits and birds and a few times dead cats, in my yard.
    Since cats are physically smaller than dogs (for the most part), it can be easy to underestimate the impact they can actually have when allowed to roam the neighborhood. Over time, we came to realize that -- along with the other hazards. It just reenforced our decision to limit our two to being indoors.

Mighty Member

(thanks for all the replies!)

Job Interviews : waste of time, money and a lot of heartbreak just so one person can get a job. Why don't businesses or organisations just spend their time and money training somebody to fit the job role? Often it's the company that fails the interview process...

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I have no problem with sweeping, broad statements. We're talking in broad terms afterall. The vast majority of bike riders act as if the rules of the road don't apply to them and insist everyone else cater to them.
    Is it really the vast majority of bike riders doing this, or just the vast majority of the ones you notice?

Let me tell you about this little thing called confirmation bias...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Is it really the vast majority of bike riders doing this, or just the vast majority of the ones you notice?

That could be true. The frequency of it, and the frequency of observation of it by others that I notice (including this thread), sure makes me think my conclusion has some accuracy.

I don't rule out that it could be wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    That could be true. The frequency of it, and the frequency of observation of it by others that I notice (including this thread), sure makes me think my conclusion has some accuracy.

I don't rule out that it could be wrong.
    Considering there's an equal number of assholes on the roads/sidewalks/trains/planes, I tend to think that people predisposed to being douchey will be douchey wherever they are.