Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Things you can't stand ("shared" bike paths etc.)

What are some things you think are bullS***, don't work in the real world or are sick of hearing and seeing?

Some examples :

Shared bike paths etc. - I dunno about your local bike path but in mine cyclists come racing through and are rude to people walking on them.

Laptops in schools - Did they honestly think that every kid would use them to research everything there is to know and become a super genius instead of just playing video games ALL DAY for years on end?

When people claim to "have mild autism" when they do stupid, horrible things like assaulting women to try and get out of jail?

and YOU?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yeah, I can agree about the bike paths. There are some cylists that must think they are training for the Tour de France or something. My sister is a walker and one of these idiots did a hit and run, or I guess hit and pedal.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-14-2019 at 08:23 PM.

I've on multiple occasions had cyclists acting pissed off with me because I had the nerve to be a pedestrian on the pavement - which it's actually illegal for them to cycle on.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I've on multiple occasions had cyclists acting pissed off with me because I had the nerve to be a pedestrian on the pavement - which it's actually illegal for them to cycle on.
    +1

Astonishing Member

Where I live, the bike path and the path for the pedestrians are separated. Works well...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For me, it's inconsiderate people who park their cars in street based bike lanes. I run into that literally ALL the time when I'm out cycling.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

When I say “good morning” to someone in passing, and they don’t say it back.

I habitually say “or not” in the same tone/at the same volume as we continue to pass each other and lo and behold the person will usually come back w. “Excuse me”, or “What’d you say”. Funny how they didn’t have time to return a simple courtesy, but have time to react to a perceived insult.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 09-13-2019 at 05:12 AM.

We had an older woman killed on the shared path this summer because douche-bike-bros try to beat their Strava records on blind turns. One of them hit her, and ended up with large section of the cyclist community throwing a fit because apparently they think cyclists deserve carte blanche to do whatever on "the bike trail".

Weird that they are the same group to throw fits about not being respected on city streets by autos.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 09-13-2019 at 05:41 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    We had an older woman killed on the shared path this summer because douche-bike-bros try to beat their Strava records on blind turns. One of them hit her, and ended up with large section of the cyclist community throwing a fit because apparently they think cyclists deserve carte blanche to do whatever on "the bike trail".

Weird that they are the same group to throw fits about not being respected on city streets by autos.
    QFT. Since when did these paths built with public money become their own private race track?

As a veteran cyclist, runner, and driver, I can sympathize with the frustration over those cyclists that try to hog the trails. There are plenty of instances where I've been running on the paths or behind the wheel, and seen cyclists do some bone-headed things.

My own theory is that it's often a mixture of having a sense of entitlement that is made worse by ignorance of actual bike laws. There are riders don't seem to try and educate themselves. Years ago I was commuting to work and found myself alongside another cyclist who looked at me as he passed and said "two less cars on the road". He then went on to blaze right through 4-way stop intersection without even bothering to slow down in the slightest. My interpretation of that experience is that there are some cyclists who truly think they are exempt from the rules of the road (as well as common courtesy) simply because they aren't a car.

I can remember back to 20 years ago when we didn't have the system of trails and paths here in the city that we now do. It was hard to find areas to ride where you weren't rubbing shoulders with cars and trucks; which can get pretty scary. The pathways are such a benefit here for pretty much everyone who wants to use them. It can be infuriating when people don't use a share-the-trails mentality.

But the same attitude of entitlement can carry over to other areas as well. I've seen runners and pedestrians go into busy streets with their headphones on; seemingly oblivious to their surroundings. I've lost count of how many times I've seen other drivers do dumb things.

My own peeve of late: drivers who can't be bothered to use their turn signals.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

We don't have bike paths here. New Orleans is in the process of making bike lanes on many of the major streets. Historically, certain backstreets were bicycle routes. We haven't quite adjusted to these new bike lanes and cyclists have died as a result.

"Shared" bike paths really don't sound like a well thought out thing. There's a reason why bicycles are often illegal to ride on sidewalks.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    We don't have bike paths here. New Orleans is in the process of making bike lanes on many of the major streets. Historically, certain backstreets were bicycle routes. We haven't quite adjusted to these new bike lanes and cyclists have died as a result.

"Shared" bike paths really don't sound like a well thought out thing. There's a reason why bicycles are often illegal to ride on sidewalks.
    Well if they are doing it the same way as they did it in Baton Rouge and Lafayette then they are gonna be some messed up bike paths.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Where I live, the bike path and the path for the pedestrians are separated. Works well...
    Same here. Though they usually aren't well done and it's still a little uncomfortable at least to me as a cyclist and pedestrian. I like it more when bike paths are in the street, though it isn't to everyone's taste. Also, I think it depends on what you use the bike for. I use it as a transport, but other people use it as a hobby or a fun time to go out with their children, etcetera. I think you could say I dislike the bike paths of my city and that they're clearly done by people who have never used a bike as a transport
    Last edited by Chubistian; 09-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The "gluten free" craze is stupid enough, but when non-starchy foods like sliced prosciutto put "gluten free" on their packaging... Argh.

What's next? Non-alcoholic flour? Sugar free olive oil?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The "gluten free" craze is stupid enough, but when non-starchy foods like sliced prosciutto put "gluten free" on their packaging... Argh.

What's next? Non-alcoholic flour? Sugar free olive oil?
    100% Sugar! Guaranteed No MSG included!