Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm struggling to think of a sentence where "at my job" would be more appropriate than "at my work". Can you give an example?

EDIT - To elaborate a bit, "at" suggests a location - which would be "my work" there there a lots of people with different jobs, but they're all "at my work".
    I'm thinking of instances where someone will say something like "She's meeting me at my work at 5:00" or "I have to stop by my work right quick to pick something up from my desk."
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I'm thinking of instances where someone will say something like "She's meeting me at my work at 5:00" or "I have to stop by my work right quick to pick something up from my desk."
    In both of those sentences, "work" is correct and "job" is wrong. Work is the place and the job is what you do when you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I will tell you what I cant stand. The way my town handles winter weather. We are getting two inches of snow this week and they are billing it as the first winter storm of the season. Last year we had 1.5 inches of snow and over 100 schools were close. We get snow every year. Several times a year in fact and people panic whenever it comes. I have seen Texas handle snow better then my town of Cincinnati.
    My wife's family is from Cincinnati and every time we visit we joke about how they billed one "storm" as "The White Death".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    In both of those sentences, "work" is correct and "job" is wrong. Work is the place and the job is what you do when you're there.
    On the flip side, "work" (the thing/action) is what you do when you're at your job (the place).

Action example: "Dolly Parton is working from 9:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. this Saturday."
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 11-14-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

work seems to be the shortened version of workplace.

I hate the verb "diss" which is short for disrespect, which is also wrong. Disrespect is not a verb. You have disrespect for, or show disrespect.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    work seems to be the shortened version of workplace.

I hate the verb "diss" which is short for disrespect, which is also wrong. Disrespect is not a verb. You have disrespect for, or show disrespect.
    Disrespect has been a verb for well over 400 years. The earliest known use as a verb is from 1610.

On the flip side, "work" (the thing/action) is what you do when you're at your job (the place).

Action example: "Dolly Parton is working from 9:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. this Saturday."
    No. "Job" in that is the thing or action, not place.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 11-14-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I stand corrected. But still hate "diss".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

People who lick their fingers or thumb before handing you a paper.
    Especially if their thumb is dirty and it leaves a smeary, dirty spit thumb-print. Disgusting..
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Retired

Every time that the city chops down a tree (and with all the wind storms, they've chopped down a lot of trees), they nail an orange plastic cone onto the stump--I guess so people don't fall over the stump. So now there are hundreds of orange cones across the city where there should be trees. Is this symbolism? I can understand why they have to do it, but I wish there was some other solution. Like maybe creating a work of art where the tree used to stand--making work for local artists.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Idiots who tailgate, beep and swerve in and out of traffic only to end up 3ft ahead of you 5mins later. Like yeah you really got far *******.
    These people must really love sitting at red lights, because they're in an awful hurry to get to them as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    In a related complaint, rolling coal.
    These are people who would literally take a dump in the middle of their living room if they thought it would "trigger the libs".

Television shows geared towards younger viewers which portray the parents or other adults as clueless morons.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Work could go either way, but I can't see how "job" could ever be the place and not the role.

Extraordinary Member

Apply everything this thread has said about cyclists to those stupid electric scooters.

I hate when stores don't list prices on items. One or two you can check. But I too often see many items in places like grocery or drug stores without prices. It makes shopping difficult.