Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Things you can't stand ("shared" bike paths etc.)

What are some things you think are bullS***, don't work in the real world or are sick of hearing and seeing?

Some examples :

Shared bike paths etc. - I dunno about your local bike path but in mine cyclists come racing through and are rude to people walking on them.

Laptops in schools - Did they honestly think that every kid would use them to research everything there is to know and become a super genius instead of just playing video games ALL DAY for years on end?

When people claim to "have mild autism" when they do stupid, horrible things like assaulting women to try and get out of jail?

and YOU?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yeah, I can agree about the bike paths. There are some cylists that must think they are training for the Tour de France or something. My sister is a walker and one of these idiots did a hit and run, or I guess hit and pedal.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-14-2019 at 08:23 PM.

I've on multiple occasions had cyclists acting pissed off with me because I had the nerve to be a pedestrian on the pavement - which it's actually illegal for them to cycle on.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I've on multiple occasions had cyclists acting pissed off with me because I had the nerve to be a pedestrian on the pavement - which it's actually illegal for them to cycle on.
    +1

Astonishing Member

Where I live, the bike path and the path for the pedestrians are separated. Works well...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For me, it's inconsiderate people who park their cars in street based bike lanes. I run into that literally ALL the time when I'm out cycling.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Where I live, the bike path and the path for the pedestrians are separated. Works well...
    Same here. Though they usually aren't well done and it's still a little uncomfortable at least to me as a cyclist and pedestrian. I like it more when bike paths are in the street, though it isn't to everyone's taste. Also, I think it depends on what you use the bike for. I use it as a transport, but other people use it as a hobby or a fun time to go out with their children, etcetera. I think you could say I dislike the bike paths of my city and that they're clearly done by people who have never used a bike as a transport
    Last edited by Chubistian; 09-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Here it varies from city to city and, surprisingly, from sidewalk to sidewalk. In some areas where space is wide there are separate bike and pedestrian lanes, in others they share… and when a motorcyclist dares to use the latter to beat traffic it's hell. There's sidewalk by the vets' golf course that I walk to from the office to the mall, and I've gotten my share of run-ins.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, I can agree about the bike paths. There are some cylists that must think they are training for the Tour de France or something. My sister is a walker and one of these idiots did a hit and run, or I guess hit and pedal.
    Cyclists are basically suburban terrorists. They havent met a law or rule of the road they couldnt ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Cyclists are basically suburban terrorists. They havent met a law or rule of the road they couldnt ignore.
    While you're at it, why not label all motorcyclists as being members of biker gangs such as the Bandidos or Hell's Angels? But we know that's not true.

On a similar note: all cyclist aren't rude, arrogant, morons. But enough are; to the point where it becomes relatively easy to throw a blanket statement at them. My personal take on the problem is that there is no formal system to qualify people to ride bicycles in a safe, courteous way. We have formal requirements for people to become liscensed to legally drive a car, truck, or motorcycle. It's not the same for bicycles (at least here in Texas). If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it. With bicycles, all we really look for is for someone to keep their balance and not fall down. After that we send them off on their own devices. Which is ridiculous -- in my opinion -- since we do actually have bicycle laws. We really do leave it up to individuals to educate themselves on what it means to be smart, safe cyclists. Many seem content to ride around in ignorant bliss.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    While you're at it, why not label all motorcyclists as being members of biker gangs such as the Bandidos or Hell's Angels? But we know that's not true.

On a similar note: all cyclist aren't rude, arrogant, morons. But enough are; to the point where it becomes relatively easy to throw a blanket statement at them. My personal take on the problem is that there is no formal system to qualify people to ride bicycles in a safe, courteous way. We have formal requirements for people to become liscensed to legally drive a car, truck, or motorcycle. It's not the same for bicycles (at least here in Texas). If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear about it. With bicycles, all we really look for is for someone to keep their balance and not fall down. After that we send them off on their own devices. Which is ridiculous -- in my opinion -- since we do actually have bicycle laws. We really do leave it up to individuals to educate themselves on what it means to be smart, safe cyclists. Many seem content to ride around in ignorant bliss.
    I have no problem with sweeping, broad statements. We're talking in broad terms afterall. The vast majority of bike riders act as if the rules of the road don't apply to them and insist everyone else cater to them. They insist on limited road space being taken for them, even if they volume of bike riders doesn't support the investment. It's just...annoying.

I appreciate the effort not to drive and help the environment. Some semblance of self-awareness and law following would be nice though.

I have no problem with sweeping, broad statements. We're talking in broad terms afterall. The vast majority of bike riders act as if the rules of the road don't apply to them and insist everyone else cater to them.
    Is it really the vast majority of bike riders doing this, or just the vast majority of the ones you notice?

Let me tell you about this little thing called confirmation bias...

Well, we do deserve some perks for risking our lives to save the climate.

Astonishing Member

Reading through this some of you folks would be a lot less stressed if you'd just mind your own business.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Reading through this some of you folks would be a lot less stressed if you'd just mind your own business.
    If people the world over could just mind their own business I think we'd be living in a utopia by now instead of the spiteful rhetoric-laden world in which we live.