Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Considering there's an equal number of assholes on the roads/sidewalks/trains/planes, I tend to think that people predisposed to being douchey will be douchey wherever they are.
    Probably true. Certainly there are plenty of drivers that do that too. (Though....my god...drive in Arizona at your own risk. This state is just awe-inspiring in terms of driving incompetence)

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That's me and I'm not going to stop. If I stopped reading while walking to and from work, I pretty much wouldn't read comics anymore.
    Aren't you concerned with walking in dog crap or falling down into a hole or something? I recall in the news a while back some woman in New York or something was looking at her phone while walking down the street and fell into some type of construction hole or something... Plus there is the issue of one's safety when they are preoccupied while walking down the street.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I've on multiple occasions had cyclists acting pissed off with me because I had the nerve to be a pedestrian on the pavement - which it's actually illegal for them to cycle on.
    Here it varies from city to city and, surprisingly, from sidewalk to sidewalk. In some areas where space is wide there are separate bike and pedestrian lanes, in others they share… and when a motorcyclist dares to use the latter to beat traffic it's hell. There's sidewalk by the vets' golf course that I walk to from the office to the mall, and I've gotten my share of run-ins.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I think it is more environmental than health craze.
    Organic produce is often worse for the environment conventional produce.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    In the US it may have a chip, but people rarely do that either.
    In my anectdotal experience in the UK, most cats from the Cats Protection League - and every one of them is chipped.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Aren't you concerned with walking in dog crap or falling down into a hole or something? I recall in the news a while back some woman in New York or something was looking at her phone while walking down the street and fell into some type of construction hole or something... Plus there is the issue of one's safety when they are preoccupied while walking down the street.
    Nah. My line of site covers everything I might step on, and I look up to cross the road. I have occasionally been caught out by a low hanging branch though.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    That's definitely one of the gambles of letting cats (or dogs) go walkabout: they might not come back. There are plenty of reasons for this: getting hit by cars, hauled off by animal control, mauled by other animals. The list can go on. Free range pets can also be exposed to diseases carried by other critters that they encounter in the open. We used to let our cats go outside. But not anymore; due to the list of reasons above.
    I'm of both minds. Throughout my life, I've had somewhere between 12 and 20 cats, most of which were outdoors in a sort of urban environment (New Orleans gets squirrels, raccoons, oppossum, coyotes, and other wildlife, despite being a city). Personally, I haven't seen a difference in longevity, but for every one of "ours" there are probably 10 that die well before their times.

Two of these cats even survived "in the wild" through Hurricane Katrina (our neighbourhood didn't flood) and 1.5 months on their own until we returned. The younger of these two is still with us and about 18 years old now. About 6-7 of our cats have lived about this long despite spending at least half their times outside.

We're some of those that have never chipped any of our animals. IMO, cats just wouldn't be worth chipping. If they leave their happy home there's probably a good reason for it, such as they no longer wish to be there. One of our cats ended up "moving" to a neighbour's house. She seemed happier. We didn't complain. This was shortly after the birth of our daughter, so maybe that had something to do with it.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 09-18-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

In my anectdotal experience in the UK, most cats from the Cats Protection League - and every one of them is chipped.
    Good. At least they can be traced back to their owners if they get lost or injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I'm of both minds. Throughout my life, I've had somewhere between 12 and 20 cats, most of which were outdoors in a sort of urban environment (New Orleans gets squirrels, raccoons, oppossum, coyotes, and other wildlife, despite being a city). Personally, I haven't seen a difference in longevity, but for every one of "ours" there are probably 10 that die well before their times.

Two of these cats even survived "in the wild" through Hurricane Katrina (our neighbourhood didn't flood) and 1.5 months on their own until we returned. The younger of these two is still with us and about 18 years old now. About 6-7 of our cats have lived about this long despite spending at least half their times outside.

We're some of those that have never chipped any of our animals. IMO, cats just wouldn't be worth chipping. If they leave their happy home there's probably a good reason for it, such as they no longer wish to be there. One of our cats ended up "moving" to a neighbour's house. She seemed happier. We didn't complain. This was shortly after the birth of our daughter, so maybe that had something to do with it.
    I'd at least hope you two are getting the animals spayed or neutered before releasing them into the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-18-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I'm far more concerned with people just tossing used diapers onto the street after changing them. Seems like they're the upgraded version of used condoms, where they're disgusting and a health hazard, but people are lazy sons of bitches about it.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

When people don't know whether or not a certain stair or escalator is the right one to take, but stand directly in front of them while working it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I'm far more concerned with people just tossing used diapers onto the street after changing them. Seems like they're the upgraded version of used condoms, where they're disgusting and a health hazard, but people are lazy sons of bitches about it.
    I've had to avoid more of these in the grocery store parking lot than I've ever thought I'd have to.

Yeah, that's just disgusting. Reminds me of the 'Trucker Bombs' which can be found on every highway and interstate in the US.

People are really pretty awful in general.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Ugh....thank goodness that hasn't been a trend in my area yet.

To add another. People who look like they are trying to get as close as they can to not hitting your car while making a left turn onto a crossing street. I've seen this quite a lot. I will be waiting in my lane for the light to change and then someone with the street that has the green light makes their turn. The other day was the worst yet. This big Dodge pickup actually crossed the yellow dividing line in the road and was on my side of the street. I almost wanted to jump to the other side of my car!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-19-2019 at 01:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    When people don't know whether or not a certain stair or escalator is the right one to take, but stand directly in front of them while working it out.
    Is this related to the grocery store practice of parking your cart directly in the middle of the aisle as you obliviously make your choice?

Also...that diaper thing is nasty. Damn.

I haven't encountered this yet. Now watch me step in a used diaper as soon as I walk outside tomorrow.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi