Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Journey to the Center of the Earth adaptations

I love this story, it's so intriguing. It's like the legend of Atlantis, you just wonder what if? But I have only seen like 2 live action adaptations of this story and I don't think they were that great. I liked them, but I wonder if there is another adaptation that is better and I have never seen and should.

So my question is, If you have seen some live action adaptations of Journey to the Center of the Earth, What are your favorites and why?

I watched the 2008 film with Brendan Fraser. I liked it, but don't remember been impressed. It was a loose adaptation.

Also watched a Hallmark Channel TV adaptation in the late 90s I think. It was fine, I enjoyed it, but it was another very loose adaptation. What have I missed? Do you think we need a new and better adaptation on film? Or a great mini series on TV?

Went to wikipedia and realized there have been lots of live action adaptations over the decades.

Retired

I read the book as a kid and haven't read it since (our school library had a bunch of science fiction books that I read back then), but I haven't seen any adaptations that were like the novel. The adaptation I remember best was JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) starring James Mason and Pat Boone. In 1967, there was a Saturday morining cartoon of the same name, which I'm sure I watched, but I don't really remember any of it. There was another movie in 1989. There was an NBC TV movie in 1993, with John Neville and F. Murry Abraham, that was not very faithful to the book. In addition to the 2008 Brendan Fraser movie, there was a TV movie in 2008 starring Rick Schroeder--haven't seen either of those, but both were made in Canada, so maybe I will check them out.

I saw the 1959 version of Journey to the Center of the Earth starring Pat Boone in a theater when it first came out, that's how old I am. It's still the best version even if the SFX are dated.

Ultimate Member

Wasn't there a cable tv version of it, not as a movie but a tv series that lasted for a few seasons, or maybe it was like a land of the lost tv series back in the 90's if memories serves, it was to racy for regular tv but nothing over the top...

Sorry, it was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World that I was thinking of...carry on...
    Last edited by LoganAlpha30X33; 09-12-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I saw the 1959 version of Journey to the Center of the Earth starring Pat Boone in a theater when it first came out, that's how old I am. It's still the best version even if the SFX are dated.
    Yes, absolutely the best. Did not see the first run, but saw it at Saturday Matinees a few times. "You go down, center Earth again, Lars go too."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Also watched a Hallmark Channel TV adaptation in the late 90s I think. It was fine, I enjoyed it, but it was another very loose adaptation.
    I remember watching this one as a kid and liking it but from what I remember of it now, I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I re-watched it haha.

Growing up on AMC and TCM, I saw the 1959 version but don't remember it as well.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, absolutely the best. Did not see the first run, but saw it at Saturday Matinees a few times. "You go down, center Earth again, Lars go too."
    How good is it? Like worth buying it? Wonder if it's available to stream somewhere.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I remember liking the 1959 version when I was a kid. I think I remember seeing it in a theater sometime in the 70's.

Seems like a good idea for a movie today, but it would probably end up being just a CGI wankfest like most movies of this type.

There was a cartoon in the 70's (arly 80's) that 8 year old me really enjoyed.

For the 1959 version, is that the one with the duck or goose? If so, then yes, that one is pretty good.

Just remember, it was done in 1959.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I read the book as a kid and haven't read it since (our school library had a bunch of science fiction books that I read back then), but I haven't seen any adaptations that were like the novel. The adaptation I remember best was JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) starring James Mason and Pat Boone.
    I remember seeing that (and Mysterious Island) on WABC's The 4:30 Movie about 46 years ago. It's also the one I think of first, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Saw the Brendan Fraiser movie. Liked it well enough as a remake/sequel. The sequel to that, not quite as much.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    How good is it? Like worth buying it? Wonder if it's available to stream somewhere.
    It is probably very dated with FX that seem quaint now. But as a kid it was great fun. I imagine it shows up on TCM from time to time.

the trailer:
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Dell FOUR COLOR 1060 adapted the 1959 movie.

And DC's PAT BOONE No. 4 (April-May 1960) had a feature spread on the movie.

That's in addition to all the comics that adapted the actual Jules Verne novel, like Gilberton's CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED No. 138 (May 1957).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That's in addition to all the comics that adapted the actual Jules Verne novel, like Gilberton's CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED No. 138 (May 1957).

I really love those old style covers/art.

The 1959 film is great. Bernard Herrmann gives one of the best scores for a sci-fi film ever.

Only bad bit is the real lizards blown up to play the dinosaurs in the movie. That in of itself doesn't bother me, but one of those lizards appears to get badly injured and I hate to think an animal suffered just for the cause of entertainment. If only they had gotten Ray Harryhausen for just a few moments of stop motion...