Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Rotten Tomatoes experience

First who is following the Dave Chappelle comeback comedy skit? trashed by critics, loved by the hard to impress comedy audience? Chappelle is also receiving support from his fellow comedians about the critics trashing. Good for him.

The site is now one of the most controversial, famous and infamous aspect of entertainment. Every few years things get more controversial and riles up debate among people. Apparently the site was first lunched in 1998. I don't know if their were scores then but I know scores were around by the early 2000s. I can't 100% pin point when it became a defining part of the movie experience but the site from my experience rose to prominence with the rise of MCU movies. This was the very first time I was aware of a franchise where the movies were supposedly good based on rt not on any film making merit worth talking about far cry from the days of batman and robin or x-men 1.

I say this as person who was part of the X3 and Spiderman 3 were let downs bandwagons because their stories made no sense and the directing of the film was was off. Bret Ratner is not a story teller and it was obvious Sam Raimi was uncomfortable with Venom. RT was not in the conversation as a back up to this opinions from most fans including myself. In fairness, I do remember the ''Nolan boys'' attacking critics over TDKR and the site had to shut down. This was a big news back then and one of the first times we see how impactful the site had become.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rott...critics-2012-7
    ''After Death Threats, Rotten Tomatoes Suspends 'The Dark Knight Rises' Comments To Protect Critics''

However the first two Nolan batman movies, rotten tomatoes scores played no impact in their success or popularity, those films were good to many because we saw Nolan's talent as a film maker, we did not need rotten tomatoes to convince us the films were good. I also remember movie fantasy juggernauts like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, rotten tomatoes never impacted fans or the average movie goer and these were well received fantasy films but RT was never in the reasons for making the decision. Harry potter fans called Alfonso Cuaron a genius film maker before the Oscars took notice and gave him 5 awards many years later. . his movie is still not the best rated RT HP film though. David Yates who is a mixed bag harry potter director , maybe even disliked now because of fantastic beasts has the best rated HP film.

As time has gone on, the site got more controversial, although it is not rt that is directly to blame, all they do is gather reviews, fast forward to 2019, the site is what I will say infamously relevant and used as laugh tracks. two films alone this year are not polarizing enough when rt concerned, first captain marvel and now Joker. I do think the Joker will likely get a best picture nomination but what does it say when the best picture nominated comic movie is in the high 70s or high 60s? What does that say about films, critics and the site?

This is my own experience with rotten tomatoes. what of you guys?

when did you take notice of the site

when did things start getting controversial

when did you decide just because a movie has a higher score does not mean it is the objective fact that it is better than another movie

Lastly what do you think is the future of the site? would it get more irreverent and loose any little credibility it has left has time goes on?
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-14-2019 at 05:34 AM.