Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Hm this could be interesting. Miller trying to tap into political sentiment is perilous, but if nothing else the art is so good that I’ll pick it up for that if nothing else.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jon kent being wierd kid floating around is creepy in good way. I would love it if jon pulls a hunter x hunter netero thousand arm style avalokitesvara bodhisattva (lady guanyin) using superspeed and divinity magic from wonder woman.

Little bits from CCXP “The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child” with Frank Miller and Rafael Grampá Panel

- Miller explains the relationship of a new character, Jon, who is extremely powerful and a possible threat for not having full control of his powers.

- Grampá says he is basically the most powerful character that the DC Universe has ever seen, being the son of Superman and Wonder Woman

- The daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman, Lara, is inspired by Grampá’s girlfriend. She modeled poses and Lara’s new personality described as being seemingly soft but dangerous

- Lasty, Miller and Grampá say they are open for a possible continuation of the comic, all it takes is a good Golden Child result.

From DC nation twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedcnati...83348928253952

More I think about it the more I wish the child had a different name. Not because of any ownership argument or anything like that, just that I dislike mainstream Jon so much the name's pretty ruined for me. But, the characters were conceived around a similar time frame, there wasn't much to be done about it.

I'm guessing that's Joker in that pic. Doesn't illicit much from me as I'm burned out on the Joker, but its still good art.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    More I think about it the more I wish the child had a different name.
    When you count across all of the continuities, how many of Superman's sons are named "Jon" or "Jonathan"? I think the number is disappointingly high, because 1) it feels like a lazy way to name things and 2) you always have to qualify which Jon, though these days it's Superson.

I definitely get how and why it occurs. Every writer has the same idea: Clark adored his father, pretty much worshipped the ground he walked on, and with good reason. Jonathan Kent was a wonderful man and excellent father. In what reality in which an incarnation of Superman had him (and its most), wouldn't he want to name a son after him? So I get it. But like you said, its creating a qualifying factor and is starting to feel generic.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Pre-Crisis Superman was a little more creative with children names. 😂

Seriously, I wanted one of Superman's sons to be named Jerry Kent, or Joel Kent, or Jerry Joel Kent.

Kind of curious why Jon would be more powerful than Lara. Guess genetics are unpredictable like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Pre-Crisis Superman was a little more creative with children names. ��
    Moore had have a baby with same name. Also, if most versions of superman is clark kent. Then a high number of versions of jon should be there as the son of superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Moore had have a baby with same name. Also, if most versions of superman is clark kent. Then a high number of versions of jon should be there as the son of superman.
    It was just one named Jonathan. During Pre-Crisis he had many unnamed children in imaginary tales, others named Jor-El II, Kal Jr. or Clark Jr. and a recurring Larry and other children with L. names.

It was just one named Jonathan. During Pre-Crisis he had many unnamed children in imaginary tales, others named Jor-El II, Kal Jr. or Clark Jr. and a recurring Larry and other children with L. names.
    I know i was just saying that even precrisis superman can name their son jon.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I know i was just saying that even precrisis superman can name their son jon.
    At least it looked original when he used it for the first time. From the late 90s (The Kingdom) onward, his originality started to really fading away.

To be fair naming their sons Clark and Bruce Jr. were even worse names lol. And Batman has said he’d name his son Thomas if he could which is just the crappiest thing you can do, naming your kid after your murdered father your obsessed with. Thank God Talia and Selena don’t let Bruce name his kids.

At least it looked original when he used it for the first time. From the late 90s (The Kingdom) onward, his originality started to really fading away.
    Well, that's what happens when something gets put in an iconic story. It sort of gets stuck. I mean, most versions of superman is clark kent. Why is that? Because the original guy was named clark kent.

Btw, it seems that piss off Chinese government supporters wasn't enough...

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/stat...66663001628672