Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 283
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    From Rafael Grampaís IG:







    I really like the art! Love that Grampa was able to get free reign on designing/redesigning. Grampa is also a writer so itís possible he had a hand in scripting too. His Lara is beautiful. Jon is still a toddler (3 or 4 years old) but he already has a bit of swagger to himself and being like a little Buddha is very interesting.
    Lara has a pretty cool design. Jon looks... weird. But I guess thatís intentional.

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    From Rafael Grampa’s IG:


    So, is this millerverse's jon kent? . As guy who has only read superman year one(it was pretty decent ) and dark knight returns (which was great). Will i be able to get into this without the other?Is this kid son of smww?has this kid ever been shown before? It's cool that we are getting so many versions of jon kent in this small amount of time. I mean, this is the third or fourth version of him. The Kid looks creepy and sinister though.i can't wait.

  3. #63
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,610

    Default

    Yeah, this version of Jon was first shown in DKIII The Master Race as an infant. In this verse Superman and Wonder Woman had previously had another child as well and that's Lara, who was introduced in The Dark Knight Strikes Again and there was a teen. By now she's in her early 20s. Not knowing how this story is going to be framed I don't know if DKRII and DKRIII would be required reading but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  4. #64
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, this version of Jon was first shown in DKIII The Master Race as an infant. In this verse Superman and Wonder Woman had previously had another child as well and that's Lara, who was introduced in The Dark Knight Strikes Again and there was a teen. By now she's in her early 20s. Not knowing how this story is going to be framed I don't know if DKRII and DKRIII would be required reading but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
    I heard about the sequal. It wasn't anything good. Would i regret reading it?i am just interested in this version of jon. Does the kid have substantial part in dk|||?or is it just baby appearance here and there. Gotta say millerverse is wierd. That jon looks like it could take over the world or something with its brain. It feels straight out of something like "the promised never land".

  5. #65
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,610

    Default

    Ehhh...I'm not a big fan outside of liking the Lara character, and if all you're interested in is this version of Jon, I think its fine for you to skip if you don't have that much of an interest to begin with. And no Jon has no substantial part in DKIII, he's just a baby for the whole thing. His only appearances are being carried on Diana's back just chilling while she fights, lol.

    The verse is definitely weird. There's stuff I think is really cool, stuff I think is just odd, and stuff I hate, lol. Definitely a strange Earth.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-14-2019 at 12:41 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Some real axes to grind in this thread!

  7. #67

    Default

    Sooooo looking forward to this one. It's a shame it's only a 48 page one-shot ... but it still looks awesome nonetheless.

  8. #68
    Extraordinary Member hellacre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    From Rafael Grampaís IG:







    I really like the art! Love that Grampa was able to get free reign on designing/redesigning. Grampa is also a writer so itís possible he had a hand in scripting too. His Lara is beautiful. Jon is still a toddler (3 or 4 years old) but he already has a bit of swagger to himself and being like a little Buddha is very interesting.
    Ah I like how they do Jonathan. Grampa is not going for the usual cute look. I mean, he is cute with those large , luminous eyes etc but there is kind of zen and knowing in them you do not see in toddlers . I imagine it would unsettle many people to see such a child if he were real. An old soul in a child's body looking right through you. Sets up quite an interesting arc even for him as a character. I like how protective Lara look with him too. Also if this verse is linked to Year One, baby Clark himself had extra sensory abilities as well as being intelligent from the get go. What a shame we do not have a Lex Luthor to meet the kid. lol.

  9. #69
    Extraordinary Member LoveStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lara has a pretty cool design. Jon looks... weird. But I guess thatís intentional.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Ah I like how they do Jonathan. Grampa is not going for the usual cute look. I mean, he is cute with those large , luminous eyes etc but there is kind of zen and knowing in them you do not see in toddlers . I imagine it would unsettle many people to see such a child if he were real. An old soul in a child's body looking right through you. Sets up quite an interesting arc even for him as a character. I like how protective Lara look with him too. Also if this verse is linked to Year One, baby Clark himself had extra sensory abilities as well as being intelligent from the get go. What a shame we do not have a Lex Luthor to meet the kid. lol.
    Heh... yeah itís intentional. He is described to be like a baby buddha. As I said on the SMWW thread, I wouldnít be surprised if he has some of not all kinds of psychic abilities being a being of magic.

  10. #70
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Iím not disagreeing with you or shooting anyone. Im just explaining why I think the fandom idea that an AU isnít as big of a deal is actually a misnomer. AUís cause a lot of damage and often canon ďstatus quo shiftsĒ are not shifts at all but the natural evolution.
    I couldn't disagree more strongly with any of this if I tried...

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I couldn't disagree more strongly with any of this if I tried...
    You don't think that AU stories have ever had a significant impact on the long term trajectory of a iconic character/team either culturally or narratively? And you believe most "status quo shifts" are gimmicky light switches? There's no gray area for you? No common ground? According to you, there's really never been an AU that had a negative effect and few changes in a character's status quo are organic. I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense.

  12. #72

    Default

    Miller writes a comic book about Superman and this comic has already been called the worst. ASBARBW he also wrote, and this comic book is even more hated. And there is no doubt that the GC will suffer the same fate.

    Jim Lee decided to release the comic in the same month which will be released crossover COIE which will be the first live-action appearance of Jon Kent.

  13. #73
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Some real axes to grind in this thread!
    No joke!

    ..........

    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  14. #74
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    You don't think that AU stories have ever had a significant impact on the long term trajectory of a iconic character/team either culturally or narratively? And you believe most "status quo shifts" are gimmicky light switches? There's no gray area for you? No common ground? According to you, there's really never been an AU that had a negative effect and few changes in a character's status quo are organic. I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense.
    Most people know the difference between an AU take and canon - albeit some writers don't get it. And for every "damaging" AU story you have a good one that can repair, your All Star Superman and the like. It all balances out. The most damaging stuff isn't AU stories or canon stories, just bad stories.

    And status quo shifts aren't all gimmicky or light. Some are god awful - I personally find making Superman a dad in canon to be one such example. Terrible status quo change, hoping for a hard reboot to end the experiment. I would much prefer something gimmicky.

  15. #75
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Most people know the difference between an AU take and canon - albeit some writers don't get it. And for every "damaging" AU story you have a good one that can repair, your All Star Superman and the like. It all balances out. The most damaging stuff isn't AU stories or canon stories, just bad stories.
    Does it balance out? Because, despite your All Star Superman and other "good" AU stories, the same terrible ideas from awful AU books in the 80s and 90s are still popping up in pop culture hits of today. Bad stories, in my opinion, aren't damaging at all; they are typically forgotten. The most damaging AU's, however, are often the most popular. Even worse, one popular AU story from one author seems to give the same author carte blanche to keep telling terrible stories that just amplify and double down on the damage.

    And status quo shifts aren't all gimmicky or light. Some are god awful - I personally find making Superman a dad in canon to be one such example. Terrible status quo change, hoping for a hard reboot to end the experiment. I would much prefer something gimmicky.
    I don't think Nelliebly was referring to one's preference for a status quo change, but moreso whether or not the status quo change was rooted in organic storytelling. Clark and Lois having a son after several years of marriage is not a lightswitch development: it didn't come out of nowhere. Whether or not you like Jonathan or the idea of a canon child for Clark and Lois is really not the point.

    Ultimately, even if a status quo shift like Superman and Lois having a child isn't your thing, it's not as damaging to Superman as a character as popularizing him as a leader of dystopian nightmares, a conservative government lackey, or a broken man motivated to acts of great evil from tired women in refrigerator tropes. These are "gimmicks" that turn Superman into something he's not and shouldn't be, but a dad? A dad isn't a bad thing to be. Maybe dad stories suck for you, but Superman as a dad is better than a broken Superman.
    Last edited by misslane; 09-14-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •