Default Superman Transformed! Superman Blue And Millennium Giants

I wanna discusses the Superman Blue story arc from 1997 to 1998.

So quick history.

I began collecting comics in 1994 during the massive Death of Superman event at 9 years old.

I only ended up collecting 20 or so floppy books.

Became interested in other things but then at around 14 collected another 30 or so books, much of Superman and Batman.

One of my favorite stories was the Superman Transformed TPB.

At this point I again became interested in other things.

At 30 years old I discovered my old collection and began reading and collecting in earnest.

No over 4 years I've collected and traded few hundred TPB. Mostly DC and mostly Superman. But I have all kinds.

One of the first things I did was finish my Death Reign and Return of Superman collection which easy with the nice sets.

But I also tracked down full lists of all 70ish Red and Blue Superman books and ordered all the singles from MyComicShop.com.
    Also have Final Night and Superman Forever.
    I love the story arc which spanned a year over MANY titles.

Sucks this arc wasnt more popular and was never collected in trades. Though since then I've notice at least one Superman Blue volume...

I recall the event and newspaper reports back in 1997... course then was hardly much of an internet to speak of.

Course I since learned that Superman Blue and the arc seems unanimously hated.

For example Superman Transformed! Has a 2.98 star rating on goodreads out of 88 ratings and 8 reviews...

Compare that to flashpoint 4.19 and 8968 ratings.

Really no one seems to have read or collected Superman Transformed, the arc and eventual Millennium Giant finale.

Any closet fans of Super Blue?

Back when I first read Transformed I new little of the DC World. So when Mister Mircle and Big Barda BOOMED into the Antarctic to get Supermans help in discovering if Metron had destroyed Nen Genisis and Apokolips my mind explodes. These characters were so cool.

The introduction to Kandor was also new to me and loved the miniature city.

Eventually superman was sucked into Kandor and when he returned home his energy powers began to appear.

I felt this volume was so interesting... frankly Transformed s way way more interesting to read then The Death of Superman TPB... Funeral for a friend, reign of superman and, return of superman are solid but, death and doomsday didn't interest me.

I never understood the back lash to this really cool arc, and the Millennium Giant 12 issue ending is also grand and exciting.

Have many CBR members actually followed this massively historic story arc? Or did people just ignore it out of some misguided spite?

Not my favorite extended storyline from the triangle era BUT I haven’t read it since it came out. I was thinking about collecting it in trade form, then DC never made a volume 2.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think there is a good chance DC will continue after their recent Blue trade, but more than a second volume will take time and success.

In 1998 I was ten and although it was exciting to see Blue on the racks, I certainly couldn't keep up and generally lost patience by the time Red came around. I still have a good bit of that impatience on re reads, which I tried last summer.

As it happens, my all time favorite arcs revolve around Final Night and Superman Forever, so this is in the middle for all the good or bad that means for a read through. I really liked Kandor, Scorn, Jimmy's story arc with Misa, etc. But it's such a long experiment and the electric powers just don't beat the classic power set. Still not half as bad as some would like to assume though. I mean it was still a very classic Triangle era creative wheel.

And hey, welcome! Thanks for your insight.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Not my favorite extended storyline from the triangle era BUT I haven’t read it since it came out. I was thinking about collecting it in trade form, then DC never made a volume 2.
    Yes when I began my collecting of this arc it was a real shame for me that no TPB were available.... I probably spent 300 CAD to complete my floppy collection of this full run.

Largely simply because it was a part of my childhood and I wanted to see this whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think there is a good chance DC will continue after their recent Blue trade, but more than a second volume will take time and success.

In 1998 I was ten and although it was exciting to see Blue on the racks, I certainly couldn't keep up and generally lost patience by the time Red came around. I still have a good bit of that impatience on re reads, which I tried last summer.

As it happens, my all time favorite arcs revolve around Final Night and Superman Forever, so this is in the middle for all the good or bad that means for a read through. I really liked Kandor, Scorn, Jimmy's story arc with Misa, etc. But it's such a long experiment and the electric powers just don't beat the classic power set. Still not half as bad as some would like to assume though. I mean it was still a very classic Triangle era creative wheel.

And hey, welcome! Thanks for your insight.
    Oh what Arc is it that you are talking about? Any TPB. I love Final Night and actually collected all 27 Final Night floppy tie ins to the story... unfortunately they were not very good tie ins.