Timber Wolf
    Ultra Boy

White Witch
    Blok
    Phantom Girl
    Polar Boy
    Element Lad (my favorite Legion leader)

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    You probably can't tell in the pic above, but I believe the dead Legionnaires -- Chemical King, Ferro Lad, and Invisible Kid can also be seen in that visor.
    No, not sure where you got that? It just seems to convey a hint of what's actually around him in the pic, looks like Shadow Lass, Dream Girl and Star Boy who are right there around him, and Superboy and the Ship above .

The three you list, can bee seen in Ross' Grell inspired image though, maybe that's where you were thinking of?:
    Ross - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KVzyS20oBy...k-issue-61.jpg
    Grell (original) - https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...public/los.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Princess Projectra
    Karate Kid
    Phantom Girl
    Lightning Lad
    Wildfire
    Timber Wolf

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

1. Matter-Eater Lad
    2. Bouncing Boy
    3. Tyroc
    4. Triplicate Girl
    5. Polar Boy
    DRINK!

My five (in no particular order):

White Witch
    Mon-El
    Dawnstar
    Wildfire
    Tellus

Astonishing Member

1) Earth One Superboy (Clark Kent)
    2) Ultra Boy
    3) Phantom Girl
    4) Brainiac 5
    5) Mon-El/Valor
    6) Lightning Lad
    7) Wildfire
    8) XS
    9) Pre-Crisis Light(ning) Lass
    10) Element Lad
    11) Karate Kid
    12) Invisible Kid 1
    13) Star Boy
    14) Ferro Lad
    15) Timber Wolf
    16) Blok
    17) White Witch
    18) Cosmic Boy
    19) Shadow Lass
    20) Chameleon Boy
    21) Princess Projectra
    22) Saturn Girl
    23) Sun Boy
    24) Laurel Gand/Andromeda
    25) Supergirl
    26) Colossal Boy
    27) Shrinking Violet
    28) Chemical King
    29) Bouncing Boy
    30) Dawnstar
    31) Tyroc
    32) Insect Queen
    33) Kid Psycho
    34) Elastic Lad
    35) Dynamo Boy
    36) Command Kid
    37) Nemesis Kid
    38) Dream Girl
    39) Matter-Eating Lad.

1. Karate Kid
    2. Timber Wolf
    3. Ultra Boy
    4. Mon-El
    5. Element Lad
    6. Brainy
    7. Invisible Kid II
    8. Cham
    9. Sensor Girl
    10. Nemesis Kid - love his power set

Non Legionnaires:

Dev-Em - Really should be in there now
    Duplicate Boy - soooo much potential. Wasted....

1. Karate Kid
    2. Cham
    3. Shrinking Violet
    4. Mon-El
    5. Saturn Girl

Top Ten:
    1. Mon-El
    2. Ultra Boy
    3. Shadow Lass
    4. Timber Wolf
    5. Laurel Gand
    6. Wildfire
    7. Tyroc
    8. Projectra/Sensor Girl
    9. Phantom Girl
    10. XS

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    No, not sure where you got that? It just seems to convey a hint of what's actually around him in the pic, looks like Shadow Lass, Dream Girl and Star Boy who are right there around him, and Superboy and the Ship above .

The three you list, can bee seen in Ross' Grell inspired image though, maybe that's where you were thinking of?:
    Ross - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KVzyS20oBy...k-issue-61.jpg
    Grell (original) - https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...public/los.jpg
    No, I always thought that was Chemical King. I don't think it's supposed to be Superboy -- that looks more like CK's neck line than Superboy's emblem. Also -- no cape on the character in the visor. I was definitely recalling it incorrectly, though, because there is no sign of the other two (IK and FL).
    Last edited by kcekada; 09-17-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Wildfire - Without a doubt my all time favorite. The man who has no where else to go besides the Legion.
    Blok - The gentle giant.
    Timber Wolf - The complicated man.
    Dawnstar - The winged wonder.
    Ferro (reboot) - Another sad soul who only really found his home as a member of the Legion.

Kent Shakespeare (Honorable Mention) - A character we never really got see shine.

Ultimate Member

When I was younger, my list would have been different, and two of my favorite Legionnaires were Brainiac 5 (being *smart* is a super-power! Yes!) and Karate Kid (a team of super-heroes can find a slot for some dude with no powers at all, other than he trained real hard? Cool!).

Since the late eighties, it seems, Brainy has been written as Vril Dox 2.0, all irascible and bitter and unpleasant to be around, which forces him to explain everything multiple times between all the passive-aggressive sniping, which, speaking as someone who is reasonably smart, if nowhere near his level, seems super dumb, since just choosing more productive language would make his life so much more efficient. In the effort to make Brainy a jerk, the writing has had the side effect of making him seem like a moron. So, meh on the 'new' Brainy. Too much attitude for me.

As for Val. He died. It was sad. I got over him.

I like how Projectra has flourished post-Val, and was intrigued to see what came of Myg. (Apparently no one at DC agreed, since they went nowhere with him...)

Some of my favorite Legionnaires have entire potential sub-stories built up around them and their home worlds / mythologies. We know little at all about the true nature of Bgtzl, for instance. Are there thousands of them over there? Millions? Billions? We know that Bgtzl is sort of co-terminous with Earth, but is it the same size, or much smaller? Is there an entire universe, with it's own other planets and races? Another United Planets? Another Legion of Super-Heroes!? Can every Bgtzln cross over freely, or is there some sort of dimensional 'space port' that the average person has to use to be phased over, while only a rare few have the power to, like Tinya, bounce back and forth at will. Is Bgtzl in any way connected to other dimensions adjacent to Earth mentioned in the past? Is it, for instance, the 1000 year later future of the 'Meta-Zone,' from which Shade, the Changing Man, hailed, ten centuries previous? Whether or not Bgtzl is 'smaller' than Earth, spatially smaller, is time the same, or contracted, or lengthened there? Could Tinya be hundreds of years old, or even effectively immortal?

Tons of story potential *from one Legionnaire!*

How did Imsk get the way it did? Is there a singularity involved? How did telepathic humans end up on the barren ice moon of Titan? Did they settle on the remains of an old H'San Natal base? Dawnstar's parents have been shown, one winged, one not, and it's been mentioned that there's a family business of tracking / pathfinder, implying that Dawny's not the first person in her family with this talent. What's up with that? Where does the heat go, when Tharrans like Polar Boy 'radiate cold?' Is there another world, in another dimension, that is only kept warm and habitable and vital because of them constantly shunting heat there (or, worse, one that is being slowly cooked to death by Tharrans dumping heat there)? What's the culture like on Naltor, where people are going about their day, despite some of them having *forseen the moment of their own death* and knowing that every step brings them one closer to that fate?

There's just an insane amount of potential here, and it's always fascinated me when we did get an all-too brief look at another world, like Cham's return to Durla.

Astonishing Member

I thought the Legion Academy members had potential -- especially after Giffen redeisgned them -- Nightwind, Lamprey, Power Kid. I don't think Levitz wanted to do much with them -- because they were created by fans. Power Kid didn't really bring much new -- but I think the other two had abilities that were unique and could have been useful.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I thought the Legion Academy members had potential -- especially after Giffen redeisgned them -- Nightwind, Lamprey, Power Kid. I don't think Levitz wanted to do much with them -- because they were created by fans. Power Kid didn't really bring much new -- but I think the other two had abilities that were unique and could have been useful.
    Levitz's decision to expand Power Boy's 'control his own density' power that he'd previously only used for super-strength, to include phasing, was interesting, and made the character more versatile.

I've always been a big fan of Nightwind, and Giffen's redesign on Lamprey's visual was very cool (granted, her original submitted-by-fan power of 'death touch' had to go, so she's been mostly an aquatic lightning-toucher, which is cool, the Legion doesn't have any specifically aquatic heroes).

And I've always had a soft spot for Crystal Kid and even Urk, although I like to fanwank that Urk isn't actually a student, but one of millions of tiny unintelligent creatures genetically engineered to eat outdated technology, since standards change so fast in the future, and all that old infrastructure needs to be recycled.

Laurel Kent was probably my favorite Academy student, tho.