186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I know right? I guess the False Rape Society and Return of Kings are credible sources now.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Uh dude, it might be a good idea to do Masome Googling because Cleopatra was a white person.
    Macedonian Greek
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire.
    It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-...rfire-1975639/

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson.
    This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.
    http://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMaryJane/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And their are black jewish people. Jewish isn't a race. Whoopi Goldberg is jewish.

Jewish is both a religion and ethnic group.

My maternal grandmother's mother was Ashkenazi Jewish.
    She was born in Nebraska.
    Her father immigrated from Romania,and her mother immigrated from Latvia.

My mother and I have a lot of Ashkenazi Jewish DNA relative matches at the Genetic sites.
    My mother and I have accounts at 23andme,AncestryDNA,FamilyTreeDNA,MyHeritage,and Gedmatch.

Genetic studies show that Ashkenazi Jews are mainly a mixture of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean European ancestry.

They seem to descend mainly from Jewish men and Italian women.
    Then their descendants settled in the Rhineland and nearby areas. Then Ashkenazi centre moved to Poland.
    Most of the Y DNA of the Ashkenazi Jews is Middle Eastern, and most of the Mitochondrial DNA of Ashkenazi Jews is Mediterranean European.
    Genetic studies show that the various Jewish ethnic groups are actually related to each others.
    The Jews in various geographical areas are genetically closer than the non-Jews in their particular geographical areas.

Genetics and Ancestry of the Ashkenazi Jews
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/raymo...1231376572800/

Whoopi Goldberg was born Caryn Elaine Johnson in New York City.
    She is the daughter of Robert James Johnson Jr. , a Baptist clergyman, and Emma Johnson ,a nurse and teacher.

Her stage name was taken from whoopee cushion, which she initially used as her stage name; she stated that "If you get a little gassy, you've got to let it go. So people used to say to me, 'You're like a whoopee cushion.'
    Regarding her stage surname, she said in 2011, "My mother did not name me Whoopi, but Goldberg is my name, it's part of my family, part of my heritage. Just like being black", and "I just know I am Jewish. I practise nothing. I don't go to temple, but I do remember the holidays." She has stated that "people would say 'Come on, are you Jewish?' And I always say 'Would you ask me that if I was white? I bet not.'" One account recalls that her mother, Emma Johnson, thought that the family's original surname was "not Jewish enough" for her daughter to become a star.

A DNA test, broadcast in the 2006 PBS documentary African American Lives, traced most of her ancestry to the Papel and Bayote people of modern-day Guinea-Bissau. Her racial admixture test revealed her genetic makeup to be 92 percent sub-Saharan African and 8 percent European.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopi_Goldberg
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-15-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire.
    It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-...rfire-1975639/

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson.
    This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.
    http://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMaryJane/

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Give me Pixie in the MCU you cowards.
    Pixie was already in first class. I liked her story arc fine. she was one of the few who sided with Shaw and you got a strong sense of her as an outsider. she also had a background as a stripper. that content can never make it to disney film for a young mutant female with spiderman's age bracket.

A disney pixie would be terrible, I think Disney would make her more like Blue Fairy or something.

As far as the discussion goes, I don't see Marvel doing it to be honest. A lot of the previous race changes have been of minor or fairly unpopular characters. Considering how long X-men films have been going on, the general public has a general idea of what some of the most popular X-men look like. In fact, a recent Disney/Marvel advertisement of the X-men shows at least 3 appearing a certain way. I would think cartoons would be the start.

With that said, as long as the characters stay true to their comic representations, that's all that matters to me. I would prefer they look and act like their comic counter parts, but if they are changed, then by all means. Hopefully, it will at least be well done.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 09-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Pixie was already in first class. I liked her story arc fine. she was one of the few who sided with Shaw and you got a strong sense of her as an outsider. she also had a background as a stripper. that content can never make it to disney film for a young mutant female with spiderman's age bracket.

A disney pixie would be terrible, I think Disney would make her more like Blue Fairy or something.
    That wasn't Pixie, it was Angel Salvadore.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Angel..._(Earth-10005)
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Fantastic Member

xmen is one of the most progressive comic series. So there is no need to change anyone's race. Also we don't need the baggage where Disney would now use it as a tool to destroy any valid criticism of one their hollow products, which will make the movie less credible. I am saying this based on the Star Wars and Captain Marvel experience.

I think this is bigger than progress though , this is just another yes, yes, yes to anything MCU does without taking into account the series, the poll numbers don't lie. As I said the news is everywhere and the reaction so far is mostly negative.

the video is shallow and hardly true, if you know a lot about marvel comics stories and comic movies before the MCU. I remember when there used to be memes in 2012 of spiderman begging to join the MCU. how has that worked out in 2019? Quite embarrassing that the only good thing here is disney counting money. Like that trumps the heart of the source material or making quality movies. I thought this money argument from Disney's side would have been put to rest after so many bad live action films of classic animations, bad star wars films, mediocre spiderman films. Money does not balance things anymore.

It's a bad stereotype. Remember Eminem, Justin Timberlake, white guys with street cred? Not all black people care about street cred. Also street cred is not a black thing exclusively., Steven Tyler sang about it.

I would say that Bishop does have street cred. he was bad ass, he was a cop and he was a no nonsense guy. Remember some of the best criticisms of the DOFP movie? fans wished the movie gave more screen time to Bishop, Warpath and Blink. 3 characters who are already people of color.

Attachment 87099

Attachment 87100

And they say we are not progressives when we already called for more diversity in xmen films in 2014 just because the POC characters made cameos but we do want diversity to be done right.
    There was nothing street about Samuel Jackson in the MCU

Eminem wasnt a gangster rapper...except for a few songs later in his career

Just Timberlake definitely doesnt have street cred

English doesnt seem to be your first language so maybe you mean to say something else

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post

English doesnt seem to be your first language so maybe you mean to say something else
    How does Nick Fury differ from Hondo from S.W.A.T? Who doesn't know who Samuel L. Jackson is? Do people understand what street cred or pull in the urban community means? I'm getting a bit nervous.

Incredible Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Jewish is both a religion and ethnic group.

My maternal grandmother's mother was Ashkenazi Jewish.
    She was born in Nebraska.
    Her father immigrated from Romania,and her mother immigrated from Latvia.

My mother and I have a lot of Ashkenazi Jewish DNA relative matches at the Genetic sites.
    I have accounts at 23andme,AncestryDNA,FamilyTreeDNA,and MyHeritage.

Genetic studies show that Ashkenazi Jews are mainly a mixture of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean European ancestry.

They seem to descend mainly from Jewish men that took Italian wives.
    Then their descendants settled in the Rhineland and nearby areas. Then many Ashkenazi centre moved to Poland.
    Most of the Y DNA of the Ashkenazi Jews is Middle Eastern, and most of the Mitochondrial DNA of Ashkenazi Jews is Mediterranean European.
    Genetic studies show that the various ethnic groups are actually related to each others.
    The Jews in various geographical areas are genetically closer than the non-Jews in their particular geographical areas.

Genetics and Ancestry of the Ashkenazi Jews
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/raymo...1231376572800/
    There have been religions tied to ethnic groups, but a religion is an ideology and a set of values based on certain teachings, not something that is in your genes. If someone who was Jewish decided to be an atheist they'd still have an ethnicity, but no longer a religion because it is a personal choice people make.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    There have been religions tied to ethnic groups, but a religion is an ideology and a set of values based on certain teachings, not something that is in your genes. If someone who was Jewish decided to be an atheist they'd still have an ethnicity, but no longer a religion because it is a personal choice people make.
    I'm a bit sad that this needs to be said

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post

This is now too off topic. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    That wasn't Pixie, it was Angel Salvadore.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Angel..._(Earth-10005)
    Neh, they are kind of the same to me. Cute small girl with wings. I really don't think MCU can tell Angel/Pixie apart from Tinkerbell. Also Angel is a person of color from the comics too, so the series was already getting more diverse in what I believe is the right way by using the actual people of color characters.

Although I would say I remember this pixie storyline in uncanny xmen when she was brutally attacked by extremists. I would love to see that in film. that would be more interesting to talk about than another faux diversity controversy.

This is now too off topic. sorry.

Neh, they are kind of the same to me. Cute small girl with wings. I really don't think MCU can tell Angel/Pixie apart from Tinkerbell. Also Angel is a person of color from the comics too, so the series was already getting more diverse in what I believe is the right way by using the actual people of color characters.

Although I would say I remember this pixie storyline in uncanny xmen when she was brutally attacked by extremists. I would love to see that in film. that would be more interesting to talk about than another faux diversity controversy.
    They're completely different characters in the comics. Personality, power set, teammates.

Fantastic Member

just have him die in a flashback scene

They're completely different characters in the comics. Personality, power set, teammates.
    I know that now but they have some striking similarities like Angel and Jake Guthrie. they all have wings.

But Like I said, the pixie story line in uncanny xmen can be a major plot point to make a case for diversity and racism. Wasn't that the whole point of the story. xmen settles in San Franciso, welcomed by a human mayor , the town is promoted as a diverse town of mutants and humans getting along until pixie is brutally attacked by mutant haters.

This is how you can address diversity in films that will have substance and weight. xmen already has the stories, it would be a cheap knock off to just make magneto or xavier black and just use the marvel formula to retell the black panther story.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-15-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Should the X-Men just be "Minoriteam"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoriteam
    Wow. Don’t even have to look up the producers to know who thought that was a bright idea.

This is how you can address diversity in films that will have substance and weight. xmen already has the stories, it would be a cheap knock off to just make magneto or xavier black and just use the marvel formula to retell the black panther story.
    Quick, tell me how Marvel will retell the Black Panther story besides it just being a story that deals with black people and racism.

1970s X-Men evolved from that, among one of Claremont's groundbreaking achievements
    By adding three POC where one almost immediately dies, the other quits several times, and the other is just a token?

Nothing. keep the characters as they are, especially for xmen, the series has a lot of stories and drama. You don't need to change anything to get any attention.
    But. You do. The metaphor is replacing actual inclusivity. There’s a majority of white ppl with a few POC sprinkled around like one person of color = one white person. This isn’t even including intersectionality but the X-Men need a major retooling of character focus and/or changing race. Most of the X-Men with major narrative pull are fitting the exact demographics I described, otherwise we would’ve seen a much more diverse cast in the FOX-Men.

They did not leach of black culture, they had to earn their street credibility in black culture.

Leaching of black culture is when you are a white rock artist who doesn't want to admit black people created rock and roll.
    Aside from the problems with thinking “street cred” is a free pass to black culture, what “““street cred””” did JT get while he was getting blond tips in NSYNC?