186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    There have been religions tied to ethnic groups, but a religion is an ideology and a set of values based on certain teachings, not something that is in your genes. If someone who was Jewish decided to be an atheist they'd still have an ethnicity, but no longer a religion because it is a personal choice people make.
    At the DNA sites, there is actually a Jewish ethnic component in the Ethnic Analysis

For example:

At 23andme, I have 8.5 percent Ashkenazi Jewish and my mother has 22.5 percent Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Chromosome Browser shows that my mother's chromosomes and my chromosomes contain Ashkenazi Jewish DNA segments.

Ashkenazi Jews are a highly endogamous ethnic group which made it possible to figure out Ashkenazi Jewish segments.

I already told about the genetic studies of autosomal DNA, mitochondrial DNA haplogroups (matrilineal), and Y DNA haplogroups (patrilineal) that show that they are mainly Middle Eastern and Mediterranean European.

I have been interested in Genetic Genealogy since 2011.
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire.
    It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-...rfire-1975639/

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson.
    This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.
    http://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMaryJane/

Incredible Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    At the DNA sites, there is actually a Jewish ethnic component in the Ethnic Analysis

For example:

At 23andme, I have 8.5 percent Ashkenazi Jewish and my mother has 22.5 percent Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Chromosome Browser shows that my mother's chromosomes and my chromosomes contain Ashkenazi Jewish DNA segments.

Ashkenazi Jews are a highly endogamous ethnic group which made it possible to figure out Ashkenazi Jewish segments.

I already told about the genetic studies of autosomal DNA, mitochondrial DNA haplogroups (matrilineal), and Y DNA haplogroups (patrilineal) that show that they are mainly Middle Eastern and Mediterranean European.

I have been interested in Genetic Genealogy since 2011.
    I get what you're trying to say, but let's say someone had Sephardic Jewish ancestry. Their ethnicity would be Iberian. If their ancestors came from a different village, they would both be Iberian, but one would be Sephardic and the other Catholic because of a cultural division and not an ethnic one. It's like if someone were Northern Irish they would be Protestant, and a "southern" Irish person would be Catholic, but they are both ethnic group would be identical.

I think Jewish people have a closer tie to equating their faith and ethnicity because they didn't have a single country for a long time, but came together as a community in their diaspora to not lose it.

As for Magneto being of African ancestry, I think it could work because it was very recent so he could be younger. Maybe they could make him age slower like Logan so he doesn't like like he's in his 90's.

Mighty Member

I get what you're trying to say, but let's say someone had Sephardic Jewish ancestry. Their ethnicity would be Iberian. If their ancestors came from a different village, they would both be Iberian, but one would be Sephardic and the other Catholic because of a cultural division and not an ethnic one. It's like if someone were Northern Irish they would be Protestant, and a "southern" Irish person would be Catholic, but they are both ethnic group would be identical.

I think Jewish people have a closer tie to equating their faith and ethnicity because they didn't have a single country for a long time, but came together as a community in their diaspora to not lose it.

As for Magneto being of African ancestry, I think it could work because it was very recent so he could be younger. Maybe they could make him age slower like Logan so he doesn't like like he's in his 90's.

No....it's more complex than that

If you read the genetic studies, you would see that
    I already pointed that genetic studies have led to figuring out Jewish DNA segments in the chromosomes

being Sephardic Jewish is not the same as being Iberian

like I pointed out before,
    the Jews in the various geographical areas are more genetically related to each other than to people in the local regions
    that would mean that Sephardic Jews are more genetically related to Ashkenazi Jews than they are to Iberians

BTW..my mother and I are part Iberian
    my maternal grandfather's ancestry was Cape Verdean, Madeiran, and Puerto Rican

at 23andme, I have 8.5 percent Spanish&Portuguese and my mother has 22.7 percent Spanish&Portuguese

As you know, the Iberian Peninsula consists of Spain and Portugal.
    In ancient times, Iberians actually populated the British Isles.

Cape Verde is an Atlantic archipelago that was a Portuguese colony and is now an independent African nation since 1975
    Madeira is an Atlantic archipelago that is a Portuguese colony

I think some of my Madeiran ancestry contains Azorean
    Azores is an Atlantic archipelago that is a Portuguese colony

let me show you oracle population in Genetic Genealogy

I looked at the Eurogenes K13 Oracle Populations of my maternal Ashkenazi Jewish DNA relative matches.
    What I noticed is that my maternal Ashkenazi Jewish DNA relatives seem to be genetically close to Sicilians,Southern Italians,Greeks, Italian Jews, Sephardic Jews, and Algerian Jews. Most of the European of Ashkenazi Jews seems to come from Western Mediterraneans. Israel is actually a country in the Eastern Mediterranean region.
    I looked at Ashkenazi Jewish DNA matches with different Mitochondria DNA haplogroups and Y DNA haplogroups. Even though there is diversity of haplogroups, the oracle population sharing are similar.

Top 10 populations shared

MT DNA J1c7a, Y DNA J2
    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Ashkenazi 3.34
    2 East_Sicilian 6.1
    3 West_Sicilian 7.8
    4 Central_Greek 7.86
    5 South_Italian 8.13
    6 Italian_Jewish 8.47
    7 Sephardic_Jewish 8.63
    8 Algerian_Jewish 9.04
    9 Italian_Abruzzo 9.28
    10 Greek_Thessaly 10.7

MT DNA K1a1b1a, Y DNA E1b1b1c1
    1 Ashkenazi 3.52
    2 East_Sicilian 6.47
    3 Central_Greek 6.85
    4 South_Italian 7.38
    5 Italian_Jewish 8.89
    6 West_Sicilian 9.11
    7 Italian_Abruzzo 9.18
    8 Sephardic_Jewish 9.3
    9 Algerian_Jewish 9.9
    10 Greek_Thessaly 10.81

MT DNA HV5, Y DNA G2b1-M377
    1 Ashkenazi 2.8
    2 East_Sicilian 7.83
    3 Central_Greek 8.9
    4 West_Sicilian 9.41
    5 South_Italian 9.65
    6 Italian_Jewish 9.73
    7 Algerian_Jewish 10.2
    8 Greek_Thessaly 10.43
    9 Sephardic_Jewish 10.82
    10 Italian_Abruzzo 10.95

MT DNA K1a1b1a, Y DNA R1a1a
    1 Ashkenazi 5.74
    2 Italian_Jewish 8.59
    3 Sephardic_Jewish 9.81
    4 Algerian_Jewish 10.3
    5 East_Sicilian 10.98
    6 Tunisian_Jewish 11.34
    7 South_Italian 11.68
    8 West_Sicilian 12.09
    9 Libyan_Jewish 12.16
    10 Central_Greek 12.31

MT DNA K, Y DNA E-L791
    1 Ashkenazi 3.0
    2 East_Sicilian 4.88
    3 Central_Greek 5.76
    4 South_Italian 5.86
    5 Sephardic_Jewish 7.99
    6 Italian_Jewish 8.1
    7 West_Sicilian 8.54
    8 Algerian_Jewish 8.61
    9 Italian_Abruzzo 8.79
    10 Greek_Thessaly 10.68

MT DNA N1b2, Y DNA J2a1b
    1 Ashkenazi 2.47
    2 East_Sicilian 5.75
    3 Central_Greek 7.1
    4 South_Italian 7.15
    5 Italian_Jewish 8.18
    6 West_Sicilian 8.22
    7 Sephardic_Jewish 8.5
    8 Algerian_Jewish 8.86
    9 Italian_Abruzzo 9.16
    10 Greek_Thessaly 10.61

MT DNA K1a9, Y DNA J1
    1 Ashkenazi 6.26
    2 Italian_Jewish 7.19
    3 Sephardic_Jewish 7.94
    4 Algerian_Jewish 9.49
    5 South_Italian 9.92
    6 East_Sicilian 10.23
    7 Tunisian_Jewish 10.68
    8 West_Sicilian 10.96
    9 Central_Greek 11.37
    10 Libyan_Jewish 11.94

MT DNA N1b2, Y DNA Q1
    1 Ashkenazi 4.47
    2 East_Sicilian 6.21
    3 South_Italian 6.37
    4 West_Sicilian 6.43
    5 Italian_Jewish 7.3
    6 Central_Greek 7.45
    7 Sephardic_Jewish 7.61
    8 Italian_Abruzzo 7.75
    9 Algerian_Jewish 8.83
    10 Greek_Thessaly 11.34

MT DNA L2a1I, Y DNA E1b1b1c
    1 Ashkenazi 4.78
    2 Italian_Jewish 6.59
    3 South_Italian 6.7
    4 Sephardic_Jewish 6.88
    5 East_Sicilian 7.05
    6 Algerian_Jewish 7.78
    7 Central_Greek 7.95
    8 Tunisian_Jewish 9.5
    9 West_Sicilian 10.31
    10 Libyan_Jewish 10.6

MT DNA K2a2a, Y DNA E1b1b1c1
    1 Ashkenazi 3.14
    2 East_Sicilian 7.72
    3 Central_Greek 8.49
    4 South_Italian 9.02
    5 Italian_Jewish 9.59
    6 Sephardic_Jewish 9.98
    7 Algerian_Jewish 10.19
    8 West_Sicilian 10.46
    9 Italian_Abruzzo 10.95
    10 Greek_Thessaly 11.33

I calculated at gedmatch
    www.gedmatch.com/

here is the site of the person that created the Eurogenes K13
    bga101.blogspot.com/2013/11/updated-eurogenes-k13-at-gedmatch.html
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-15-2019 at 08:33 PM.

While personally I find the history lesson of Jewish ethnicity from the last few pages interesting, this isn't the place for it. Back on topic please.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Mighty Member

This does not bother me, I might have cared about this several years ago, but now, after 19 years of the white Magneto on screen, I am fine with a new direction. He could be a survivor of the Rwandan genocide, that would fit better for the timeline.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 09-15-2019 at 08:49 PM.

I guess people see it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    This does not bother me, I might have cared about this several years ago, but now, after 19 years of the white Magneto on screen, I am fine with a new direction. He could be asurvivor of the Rwandan genocide, that would fit better for the time line.
    As long as the essence is the same, I don't see the problem either. To be honest, I think they should move away from Magneto for the next couple of films and give other villains and stories a chance. He's been their enemy for the past 6 franchise films when the X-Men have a vast roster of villains.

Mighty Member

As long as the essence is the same, I don't see the problem either. To be honest, I think they should move away from Magneto for the next couple of films and give other villains and stories a chance. He's been their enemy for the past 6 franchise films when the X-Men have a vast roster of villains.
    Agreed, I would like to see Sinister or a present version of the Sentinels be the villains.

Just trading the Holocaust for another genocide is also a bad idea. It is still trivialized and denied as it has been from people wish yet again to use Jews as a scapegoat. Severing one of the most popular cultural characters’ connection to it only furthers the erosion of it from the minds of the public. Like what I was saying before, we have record antisemitic hate crime all over the planet. If you want to highlight another genocide, create another character for that.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I think I've learned more then I want to about people on this thread.

Is there any more point to all this or can we go home now?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    While personally I find the history lesson of Jewish ethnicity from the last few pages interesting, this isn't the place for it. Back on topic please.
    I will

I only posted this stuff to clarify about Jewishness.
    Being around 1/8 Ashkenazi Jewish, I feel the need to make rebuttals to erroneous assumptions about Jewish people.
    Jewish is not just religion. It is also an ethnicity.

I won't post any more about this.

As for black race, I really don't believe in black and white races. I stopped believing in that a few years ago.
    The human race is way too diverse to just categorize people as black,white,and other colors.
    Africa has the greatest diversity. There are over 2,000 ethnic groups in Africa. There are over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria alone.
    Another thing is very darkskinned people are not just in Africa.
    Very darkskinned people without recent African ancestry are in India,Melanesia,and Australia.

the concepts of black and white races stem from outdated views about races

I definitely disregard the one drop rule,
    I consider myself multiracial American instead of African American nor black.
    The one drop rule is outdated,racist,and stupid.
    Most African Americans are actually part European with around 1/3 of African American males having European Y DNA.
    My father was a Louisianan African American, and he had some English and French ancestry from a maternal 2nd Great Grandfather who was the son of an Anglo-American slaveowner and Cajun woman
    If the Cajun X-Man, Gambit was a real live person, I'd be a distant relative of his .......hahahaha
    The recent endogamy is so strong in the Acadians that I believe that all people with Acadian ancestry are related to each other through at least one 17th Century French couple that settled in what is now known as Nova Scotia

I'd like Magneto to be an Ashkenazi Jew in MCU just like in the comics and previous movies.
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Just trading the Holocaust for another genocide is also a bad idea. It is still trivialized and denied as it has been from people wish yet again to use Jews as a scapegoat. Severing one of the most popular cultural characters’ connection to it only furthers the erosion of it from the minds of the public. Like what I was saying before, we have record antisemitic hate crime all over the planet. If you want to highlight another genocide, create another character for that.
    One could make the argument that its disrespectful to treat the Rwandan genocide as somehow not being "as being as important" as the Holocaust. Both of things are important to the people who survived them.

Really the Holocaust happened 70 to 80 years, Magneto should either dead or infirmed by now and saying the writers can make up some non sense to explain why he is still young in the modern era is the type writing I hate from comics, writing that exists solely to maintain the sliding time scale, rather then meant to be compelling in of itself, it always comes off as convoluted nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    One could make the argument that its disrespectful to treat the Rwandan genocide as somehow not being "as being as important" as the Holocaust. Both of things are important to the people who survived them.

Really the Holocaust happened 70 to 80 years, Magneto should either dead or infirmed by now and saying the writers can make up some non sense to explain why he is still young in the modern era is the type writing I hate from comics, writing that exists solely to maintain the sliding time scale, rather then meant to be compelling in of itself, it always comes off as convoluted nonsense.
    Then make another character who is a survivor of the Rwandan genocide. They could always say Magneto stayed young because he uses his powers to protect his cells from oxidative damage.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Actually it isn't that simple

X1 -Magneto and Brotherhood
    X-2 Col Striker plus Magneto pulling heel turn
    X-3 Dark Phoenix,The cure and Magneto

First Class- Sebastian Shaw plus Magneto pulling a heel turn
    DoFP- Trask and Sentinel Program plus Magneto pulling a heel turn
    X-men Apocalypse- Apocalypse and Magneto force to turn bad
    X-men DP- Vuk and her mushroom people, Phoenix force and Magneto pulling heel a turn and turning back.

Magneto has been the primary villain in about 3 films imo, The other films he has been this weird friend-enemy that for some reason always goes bad and the next movie. The X-men pretend like the mfer didn't just turn on them in the last movie. That said I don't think they should avoid magneto because of the fox films. It is not like MCU is going to try to milk Magneto in every movie like Fox.Magneto is core villain to the X-men and he is the logical counterpoint to Xavier peaceful assimilation with his by any means necessary against the people who threat mutants. I can't see you setting up the franchise and being true the story without opening up with Magneto. I mean by all means move on to other enemies after Magneto but establishing X-men,The Brotherhood,(maybe the Morlocks) and humans who hate them feels like rightway to start the franchise. I guess you can set up Brotherhood without showing Magento. Maybe Exodus and Fabian Cortez could be prime enemies and Magneto looms in the Shadows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    How does Nick Fury differ from Hondo from S.W.A.T? Who doesn't know who Samuel L. Jackson is? Do people understand what street cred or pull in the urban community means? I'm getting a bit nervous.
    I'm Black and grew up on Warren and Cadieux in Detroit.

Never saw S.W.A.T but street cred is not just about being known...its about being known for doing illegal or negative activities

Your ignorance is showing

Like Jesus Christ these posts from two separate people are so offensive it's not even funny