View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

    38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

    148 79.57%
Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 667
  1. #331
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    And the reason i think Magneto is particular is good for that because in a lot of ways his character is universal and for me, it would be so fulfilling if just the simplest thing as a creator of tomorrow seeing a well written magneto and going on to create something where they represent a great amount of people because of that moment. A moment that might not have existed otherwise. I'm not for just universal race bending of characters but when it can happen and the potential can be meaningful and change and shape minds it has to be a damn good reason for me to not to think of it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  2. #332
    Astonishing Member RachelGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    The reason I want Magneto to stay as a Jewish man, is because he is already diverse because he is Jewish and a part of a minority.

    Does he have to be born in the 1920's or 1930's, NO! Have him be the son of someone who survived and that he worked with his father hunting Nazi's. I still think they could have Magneto be Jewish but younger and have him come across former Nazi scientists who are now experimenting on mutants instead of Jewish people and it makes Magneto realize that these evil men are perpetuating the same evil on Mutants that they formerly perpetuated against Jews, Gypsies, and Homosexuals during WWII. Have him discover something so horrifying that it drives him to fight for Mutants aggressively. Heck he could discover a Weapon X facility and even end up freeing a completely feral Wolverine from captivity at the facility along with several other mutants like Toad, Sabretooth, etc...

  3. #333
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    The reason I want Magneto to stay as a Jewish man, is because he is already diverse because he is Jewish and a part of a minority.

    Does he have to be born in the 1920's or 1930's, NO! Have him be the son of someone who survived and that he worked with his father hunting Nazi's. I still think they could have Magneto be Jewish but younger and have him come across former Nazi scientists who are now experimenting on mutants instead of Jewish people and it makes Magneto realize that these evil men are perpetuating the same evil on Mutants that they formerly perpetuated against Jews, Gypsies, and Homosexuals during WWII. Have him discover something so horrifying that it drives him to fight for Mutants aggressively. Heck he could discover a Weapon X facility and even end up freeing a completely feral Wolverine from captivity at the facility along with several other mutants like Toad, Sabretooth, etc...
    I'm confused. So your saying you don't care who play's magneto as long as he's jewish? It's confusing because you mention already part of a minority but if he's the ancestor of someone that survived the holocaust he could literally be any race and still jewish. Especially if his mom was the camp survivor.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  4. #334
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    MCU got Robert Redford, Michael Douglas, and Glenn Close what they're not serious actors? The one thing most people can usually agree on is the MCU gets casting right.
    Redford was in winter solider right? to date the most serious toned MCU film? Is Michel Douglas looking at his role as Ant Man and comparing it to wall street? who did Glen play again?
    Obviously not all actors are snobs but many do take on comic films for the fun of it not because they find it challenging.

    No matter what race they decide to go with the casting will likely be stellar.
    It could be from a person who once told me black panther visual were stellar and X2 looks aged to it even though most of this mcu movies look quite animated to X2 (cringe). Also the casting maybe stellar but if the script is generic and juvenile which is the usual for most mcu movies, it will make no difference. What are the chances Ian Mckellen and Morgan Freeman would both pass on playing Magneto in the MCU if they were 20 years younger? very high

  5. #335
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    The reason I want Magneto to stay as a Jewish man, is because he is already diverse because he is Jewish and a part of a minority.

    Does he have to be born in the 1920's or 1930's, NO! Have him be the son of someone who survived and that he worked with his father hunting Nazi's. I still think they could have Magneto be Jewish but younger and have him come across former Nazi scientists who are now experimenting on mutants instead of Jewish people and it makes Magneto realize that these evil men are perpetuating the same evil on Mutants that they formerly perpetuated against Jews, Gypsies, and Homosexuals during WWII. Have him discover something so horrifying that it drives him to fight for Mutants aggressively. Heck he could discover a Weapon X facility and even end up freeing a completely feral Wolverine from captivity at the facility along with several other mutants like Toad, Sabretooth, etc...
    I wonder why those who want Magneto to be black and also forgetting jewish people are a minority too.

    replacing one minority with another minority does not feel right to me.

    Magneto has always been an embodiment of anything you want him to be.

  6. #336
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I wonder why those who want Magneto to be black and also forgetting jewish people are a minority too.

    replacing one minority with another minority does not feel right to me.

    Magneto has always been an embodiment of anything you want him to be.
    I wonder why people are lessening non-white jews by implying making Magneto black somehow means he can't be Jewish.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  7. #337
    Astonishing Member RachelGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm confused. So your saying you don't care who play's magneto as long as he's jewish? It's confusing because you mention already part of a minority but if he's the ancestor of someone that survived the holocaust he could literally be any race and still jewish. Especially if his mom was the camp survivor.
    I want the character to be a Jewish man, Magneto always was from a minority culture that has been persecuted for 1000's of years. I don't care about Professor Xavier because he was always American and he can be from any wealthy family, he can be from a wealthy Hispanic or African American family and still be American.

    Magneto comes from a Jewish family and he has always been Jewish. I always liked that even though he wasn't very devout or religious it gave him a connection to some of the other Jewish characters in the X-Men, particularly Kitty Pryde who is actually a bit more devout in her Judaism.

    I get why people want more African American representation on the X-Men, and I accept that, that's why I think it's perfectly suitable to change the heritage for Professor X because honestly he is just an American man who comes from a wealthy family background and that can be explored with him being from any racial background in the United States.

  8. #338
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I can see your point and i think in a lot of ways we are different sides of the same coin and i appreciate you took the time to go more into the detail behind the statements because that is what adds the weight, at least for me to try to really see where a person is coming from. It's not that your opposed to it on the basis of why it needs to exist or some want it to exist, but rather the fact that we are even in this kind of position in 2019 where it needs to even be a conversation. If minority characters where being introduced at the level that they should be and written at the level that they should be, stories wouldn't need to be adapted to fit that "Quota" because it will already exist. But to that i would say unfortunately here we are and sometimes we have to start at a point and show it can be done and make people ask themselves "Why haven't we always been doing this." IMO Magneto is a good case for that to happen in.
    Thank you deeply, Jwatson. I’m so glad you understand where I’m coming from. You think I wouldn’t absolutely stan Denzelneto if that’s the way they decided to go? Shamelessly, I would. That doesn’t make up for the faux diversity of the X-books or the films they inspire.

    I personally am the only person I’ve ever seen stress the importance of Ororo meeting her FATHERS FAMILY in the X-men books. Why does Storm always have to go HOME TO AFRICA TO MEET HER FAMILY? I stress that she reunites with her father’s family in the X-men books because it establishes that she has familial ties to American soil. She has a whole set of grand parents alive and kicking on American soil. A younger cousin too. He could become the new Spyke. Why doesn’t Storm address the fact that the war on drugs actually affected her life. Her aunt died of a crack overdose and left her little cousin behind. That doesn’t get addressed because Storm has to GO HOME TO AFRICA TO FIND FAMILY even though this BLACK GIRL WITH A BLACK FATHER HAS BLACK FAMILY IN NEW JERSEY.

    Jwatson, I ask you seriously, why is Storm always hailed as the “other” and not from America? It’s time we start asking real questions.

  9. #339
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I wonder why people are lessening non-white jews by implying making Magneto black somehow means he can't be Jewish.
    I already said they can meet in the middle. make him half jew and half black but it is not necessary either.

    Kitty Pryde is jewish, she can be the face of mutant jews

    Storm the face of mutant blacks.

  10. #340
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I want the character to be a Jewish man, Magneto always was from a minority culture that has been persecuted for 1000's of years. I don't care about Professor Xavier because he was always American and he can be from any wealthy family, he can be from a wealthy Hispanic or African American family and still be American.

    Magneto comes from a Jewish family and he has always been Jewish. I always liked that even though he wasn't very devout or religious it gave him a connection to some of the other Jewish characters in the X-Men, particularly Kitty Pryde who is actually a bit more devout in her Judaism.

    I get why people want more African American representation on the X-Men, and I accept that, that's why I think it's perfectly suitable to change the heritage for Professor X because honestly he is just an American man who comes from a wealthy family background and that can be explored with him being from any racial background in the United States.
    Again i don't get why you are implying there are no jewish african americans. One of my friends growing up mother was Jewish and his father was black. He is jewish. So again i'm really confused as to what your trying to say or why you believe such.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  11. #341
    Astonishing Member RachelGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Thank you deeply, Jwatson. I’m so glad you understand where I’m coming from. You think I wouldn’t absolutely stan Denzelneto if that’s the way they decided to go? Shamelessly, I would. That doesn’t make up for the faux diversity of the X-books or the films they inspire.

    I personally am the only person I’ve ever stressed the importance of Ororo meeting her FATHERS FAMILY in the X-men books. Why does Storm always have to go HOME TO AFRICA TO MEET HER FAMILY? I stress that she reunites with her father’s family in the X-men books because it establishes that she has familial ties to American soil. She has a whole set of grand parents alive and kicking on American soil. A younger cousin too. He could become the new Spyke. Why doesn’t Storm address the fact that the war on drugs actually affected her life. Her aunt died of a crack overdose and left her little cousin behind. That doesn’t get addressed because Storm has to GO HOME TO AFRICA TO FIND FAMILY even though this BLACK GIRL WITH A BLACK FATHER HAS BLACK FAMILY IN NEW JERSEY.

    Jwatson, I ask you seriously, why is Storm always hailed as the “other” and not from America? It’s time we start asking real questions.
    You could even explore it that Storm's father stayed in Africa but her mother left to move to the states and put Storm in an American school for a better education.

  12. #342
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I already said they cant meet in the middle. make him half jew and half black but it is not necessary either.

    Kitty Pryde is jewish, she can be the face of mutant jews

    Storm the face of mutant blacks.
    Sorry but your either jewish or your not. You can't be half jewish. You can be half black, you can be half white but you can't be half jewish.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  13. #343
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A mutant aging at a slower rate wouldn't make them immortal any more than having wings would mean that they must have a beak.
    And what does it add to the character? I am not a fan of just adding powers to a character, solely to maintain a sliding time scale.

    You can write a story where Spider-man can start shooting lasers out of his eyes, I do not think that would be a good idea either, because I hate plot contrievences that exist only to maintain a sliding time scale, this is a big reason why comics are a convoluted mess, how did all the attempts at deaging Spidey work out?

  14. #344
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Thank you deeply, Jwatson. I’m so glad you understand where I’m coming from. You think I wouldn’t absolutely stan Denzelneto if that’s the way they decided to go? Shamelessly, I would. That doesn’t make up for the faux diversity of the X-books or the films they inspire.

    I personally am the only person I’ve ever seen stress the importance of Ororo meeting her FATHERS FAMILY in the X-men books. Why does Storm always have to go HOME TO AFRICA TO MEET HER FAMILY? I stress that she reunites with her father’s family in the X-men books because it establishes that she has familial ties to American soil. She has a whole set of grand parents alive and kicking on American soil. A younger cousin too. He could become the new Spyke. Why doesn’t Storm address the fact that the war on drugs actually affected her life. Her aunt died of a crack overdose and left her little cousin behind. That doesn’t get addressed because Storm has to GO HOME TO AFRICA TO FIND FAMILY even though this BLACK GIRL WITH A BLACK FATHER HAS BLACK FAMILY IN NEW JERSEY.

    Jwatson, I ask you seriously, why is Storm always hailed as the “other” and not from America? It’s time we start asking real questions.
    No you right on that. It wss lightly touched on with the crew but we saw what happened with that. I can't disagree with anything you've said in this post except that is what she feels connected to as that is where she grew up. But then on the flip side their has been stories talking about her connection to harlem and the fact that even haven left there at 6 months she still remembers it. And we have seen her father's family as you mention and there is a lot of story there and no one wants to write it. I've been saying the same thing and thats why i say two sides of the same coin. We might have different approaches and reasoning in how to go forward and where but we are seeing the same thing.

    Why isn't she seen as a goddess in both Africa and to the black community in America? What can she do to be seen as such? I'm here for the exploration of it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  15. #345
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Sorry but your either jewish or your not. You can't be half jewish. You can be half black, you can be half white but you can't be half jewish.
    You can be half Jewish by ethnicity. I just saw a friends people where Ross said his son Ben was half jewish.

    So let me put is this way, also thanks for the musicians who have been name dropped here from jay z, beyonce, timberlake and eminem. Let me talk about Drake the rapper. his mum is a white jew, his dad is African American so what does that make Drake? A pontetial magneto.

    Also Magneto can also practice the religion heavily and that will make him a jew by religion too, but unlike Whoopi Goldberg, he would not need to convert because he is a jew by birth right thanks to his mum.

    Jews are an ethnic religious people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •