186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Well, if magneto is black in MCU there goes chance of him being Wanda's father.
    It was never going to happen anyway. The MCU doesn't do outrageously complicated origin stories like the comics do (which is why a lot of ideas for keeping his WWII background would be hard to pull off in the MCU). They are not going to make Wanda into Magneto's daughter when they already decided she didn't need to be for them to use her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    hard to take you seriously when you don't even know the basics. Magneto was de-aged and then aged to his physical prime. it has nothing to do with his metabolism or mutancy. and you're just making an argument to not use the character in the movies going forward. and that suits me perfectly fine. they aren't going to out-do what came before; at least where Magneto is concerned. but it makes zero sense to just change Magneto into a different character. he saw so much use in the Fox films because of the strength of his story. you can get away with changing someone like Pyro (though i'd argue that they turned in a less interesting version). Magneto's on another level.
    I cannot disagree with this either. Striderblack01 simply expressed that I felt was quite similar to the points I've personally made. We ultimately chose different answers to the question, but our reasonings seemed much along the same lines. You, Mr. Michael Eatkins, make excellent points as well. The both you of illustrate why this topic isn't as black and white as many like to portray it. I appreciate the both of you for this.

Fantastic Member

i don't know about consensus. i just don't think they should use Magneto unless he's going to be Magneto. take race out of the equation for the moment. i'm not even for making him a jewish mutant who didn't experience the camps. it's the difference between some black lives matter weekend protester and someone who survived the jim crow south.
    on a side note, the real difference between Magneto and Professor X was overt and covert militarism. Professor X sold some kids a dream of peaceful coexistence. meanwhile, he was using telepathy to wipe memories, hiding everyone in a fortress disguised as a mansion, and using child soldiers. Magneto just took a bunch of thugs off the streets (the ones too ugly to hang out at Harry's Hideaway) and took the fight to humanity.
    Bruh... the facts as you've laid them out cannot be overlooked, or at least they shouldn't. I'm so thankful for all the people that have taken to this subject on both sides. Its all so very refreshing. While it's true that many spaces within the comic book community are rampantly anti-black, it's nice when meaningful discussions take (amongst a chosen few) place without an overabundance of ignorance. Not that plum ignorance wasn't on epic display. I'm just thankful for those that chose to rise above that and be better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    At this point, if Magneto doesn't have his WWII origin, just use another character. Marvel is a fantasy world, there's so many deus ex machina they can use to have him keep that origin. Making a black character white or vice-versa is never a good idea.
    Give any deus ex machina that would explain why Magneto is still young and give it a reason for existing besides preserving a sliding time scale, I would be more likely to consider it. But I have not heard a good reason for it besides that. No one has explained why this would be a compelling plot element in of itself and frankly it would easily come off as hacky or contrived.

Plus X-Men TAS changed Magneto's origin so his family was killed in a fictional Eastern European civil war. Did anyone think that was blasphemy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Give any deus ex machina that would explain why Magneto is still young and give it a reason for existing besides preserving a sliding time scale, I would be more likely to consider it. But I have not heard a good reason for it besides that. No one has explained why this would be a compelling plot element in of itself and frankly it would easily come off as hacky or contrived.

Plus X-Men TAS changed Magneto's origin so his family was killed in a fictional Eastern European civil war. Did anyone think that was blasphemy?
    Anything really (The High Evolutionary, an alternate universe, magic, etc). Fiction isn't real life. It depends on how the mutants are gonna be created in the MCU.

Mighty Member

Anything really (The High Evolutionary, an alternate universe, magic, etc). Fiction isn't real life. It depends on how the mutants are gonna be created in the MCU.
    That all sounds terrible. The fact that your reply to my question with "anything" means you have put zero thought how this would not be a convoluted mess.

Frankly I hate stuff that exists solely to maintain a sliding time scale. Spider-Man is fictional, does that mean him getting divorce via deal with the devil is a good story? This type story telling is one of my least favorite things in comics.

Just because a story is fictional means you can add any contrived elements in it and still tell a good story.

Keep him white and Jewish. In most cases I don't mind if characters are race or genderswapped, unless those their race and identity tie into who the character is as a whole. And for Magneto, being Jewish does. Not so much white and I know there are black Jewish people, but the event of the Holocaust is, along with being a mutant, the centralizing core of his character. Not at first when stan Lee introduced him, but as the character grew, and even now I would argue, it still is. I'm not saying that they absolutely couldn't make it good, but I think in this case it's better to just leave it as it is.

I'm fine with them making Xavier black or a race other than white though.
    Viva la ResurreXion!!!!

That all sounds terrible. The fact that your reply to my question with "anything" means you have put zero thought how this would not be a convoluted mess.

Frankly I hate stuff that exists solely to maintain a sliding time scale. Spider-Man is fictional, does that mean him getting divorce via deal with the devil is a good story? This type story telling is one of my least favorite things in comics.

Just because a story is fictional means you can add any contrived elements in it and still tell a good story.
    Lol, alright, i'm not a writer for Marvel, it's not my job to think about that. All i'm saying is that Marvel can do anything they want because it's fiction and a good idea is possible. I'd rather have a retcon like that than a retcon that makes Magneto not Magneto.

I see you suggested the Rwandan genocide as an alternative to Magneto's current origin. And you're telling me I have terrible ideas lol. Sure, let's take out most of the things that make Magneto's special. In 50 years, they'll have to think about another genocide to replace the Rwandan genocide. We're gonna run out of genocide.
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-17-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    What would someone whose only exposure to the X-Men was through the MCU -- a universe where Magneto and Nick Fury were black men think when he/she discovers that both men have been white since the 1960s in the comic books?
    They would think the movie it telling ONE version of the MCU and not the 100% etched in stone forever version of Marvel.
    Most folks who watch those movies DON'T care about that. Because some understand that when those guys were around blacks were not in the forefront (with some exceptions).

Leave Magneto as he is.

If you want to do a different angle and keep WW 2 try a different person. Lets discuss other items of that time.

Remember black men were not allowed to do anything but bury the dead and dig toilets in WW 2 for a time. What if a black man became a mutant and did what Grave Digger did in Men of War (at DC)?
    What if a African mutant started up in WW 2 because he did not like what was being done to his country during that time?

Stuff can be thought up.

As for Black Panther being a white person-well considering there are WHITE Africans is it really out of the question it could have happened? Before that movie Shuri was not Black Panther's blood sister yet she wore that suit.

Fantastic Member

Before what movie Shuri wasn't his blood sister? Who and what now? Shuri's been his blood sister since before he and Storm were married. Did I miss something?

Mighty Member

Lol, alright, i'm not a writer for Marvel, it's not my job to think about that. All i'm saying is that Marvel can do anything they want because it's fiction and a good idea is possible. I'd rather have a retcon like that than a retcon that makes Magneto not Magneto.

I see you suggested the Rwandan genocide as an alternative to Magneto's current origin. And you're telling me I have terrible ideas lol. Sure, let's take out most of the things that make Magneto's special. In 50 years, they'll have to think about another genocide to replace the Rwandan genocide. We're gonna run out of genocide.
    Well until you can make a case on why turning Magneto into an immortal is compelling in its part, not just a convoluted reason to maintain a sliding time scale, I will maintain that I think all these ideas are just bad. Why not just Magneto a Highlander and Xavier would have to cut his head off to kill him at that point?

The thing is no one has given a reason why Magneto should be immortal, besides maintaining a sliding time scale, immortality is a big thing to tack on to a character and you guys do not seem to care whether it is a compelling choice in of itself, so it just seemed contrived. If you cannot make a compelling argument for it besides the fact that you want to maintain a sliding time scale, I wonder if some people are choosing fanboyism over good storytelling.

Except in X-Men TAS, they did they change his origin, look at the first appearance of the character in that series, he lost his family in some fictional Eastern European Civil War, did that ruin the cartoon for you?

I do not hate fantastically stuff in comics and do not think comics have to be 100 percent realistic. But I hate contrived writing that only exists to maintain a sliding time scale and I think that type of writing is one of the worst things to happen to comics, keep it out of the movies.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 09-17-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Well until you can make a case on why turning Magneto into an immortal is compelling in its part, not just a covoluted reason to maintain a sliding time scale, I will maintain that I think all these ideas are just bad. Why not just Magneto a Highlander and Xavier would have to cut his head off to kill him at that point?

Except in X-Men TAS, they did they change his origin, look at the first appearance of the character in that series, he lost his family in some fictional Eastern European Civil War, did that ruin the cartoon for you?
    They did that for the same reason Wolverine only slashes robots, no one ever bleeds, and enemies use "blasters". They weren't going to mention the Holocaust on a Saturday morning cartoon show.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Mighty Member

hard to take you seriously when you don't even know the basics. Magneto was de-aged and then aged to his physical prime. it has nothing to do with his metabolism or mutancy. and you're just making an argument to not use the character in the movies going forward. .
    I took the argument as more of a knock on how ludicrous the comics got to make his age palatable in the comics for a guy alive in WW2. The way it happened was weak and born purely out of convenience.

I don't think any movie plot is going to be able to undergo shenanigans like that and be palatable to a movie audience. Hence the problem. I don't have a perfect answer and I'm not in the writing room where they are crafting how mutants join the fold....but I think we can reasonably say that de-aging Magneto comes with all sorts of problems. Perhaps insurmountable problems because they are so superficial and nonsensical.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    They did that for the same reason Wolverine only slashes robots, no one ever bleeds, and enemies use "blasters". They weren't going to mention the Holocaust on a Saturday morning cartoon show.
    And did that ruin Magneto in that cartoon?

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

And did that ruin Magneto in that cartoon?
    No, they watered down everything as to not offend parents. That's a different solution, one that if the MCU used, people would burn them at the stake for. We accept it because there wasn't an answer: either Magneto's origin would change, or the show would never air.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."