Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

People have strong feelings on this. And it's an easy thing to bash. But we also need to realize the current MCU takes place in present time in 2019. Like it's 2019 people ---- They can't keep doing the holocaust origin story for Magneto anymore considering he's going to be too old for someone that was born in the 1930s. And while I realize in the comic books these characters are essentially ageless. It just doesn't work that way in the Cinematic universe. Many of these characters are going to be cast by young actors because they're going to get older, and I'm assuming both Charles and Magneto are going to be in their 30s or maybe in their 40s? And while I haven't been keeping up on the latest MCU news, it's still an open question how they're going to introduce Mutants? Have they been around the whole time or is an event going occur which triggers the mutant gene? Unless something has changed there's a lot of factors at play here.

Magneto is a character that has genocidal tendencies, He's the foil to Charles Xavier. He doesn't trust humans because he's seen the worst of humanity. And for him to have that point of view he has to go through something that was traumatic. He doesn't necessarily have to be Black, heck he could even be Middle-Eastern, or Bosnian. But I wouldn't have a problem if they changed his ethnicity. It would actually make sense and fit with the modern societel narrative and the spirit of his character.
    Last edited by Variant; 09-18-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Variant View Post
    People have strong feelings on this. And it's an easy thing to bash. But we also need to realize the current MCU takes place in present time in 2019. Like it's 2019 people ---- They can't keep doing the holocaust origin story for Magneto
    but they must, if they intend to use him. that's my argument. he's not lex luthor. he's a much more complex character. and the complexity comes from his attachment to an important period of time in world history. it's real simple. don't introduce Apocalypse if you don't also plan to introduce the egyptian elements. don't introduce Magneto if you're not interested in touching the Holocaust. is that too much to ask?
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    But here's the thing: as far as character development: yes they are.

At the end of the day, the event was chosen not for the subtler nuances. It was chosen for the broadest sense of what it was: a window into the darkest side of humanity and how they could treat those who were different. That _simple_ message can be told with numerous tragedies in history.

I'm actually all for finding a way to keep Magnetos origin. I think it simply fits so perfectly and has become him so completely that I hesitate to have them change it. But the idea that it's somehow impossible to draw from another horrific act and have it shape those beliefs in a similar way is just silly. The Joker can have multiple origin stories and multiple interpretations and still be the Joker. It's not some impossible feat to have a new interpretation of Magneto.

Do I want to see the same origin in Magneto? Absolutely. He's the best villain in all of Marvel and why mess with perfection?
    Is it offensive to change it? Pure nonsense.
    i dare you to go post a "Does Joker need to be a white guy" thread on the DC board.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Or maybe no one would care, outside of a few fanboys?

Do you think really think Jewish groups really care about what Magneto's origin is in the MCU film?
    google search "Magneto Jewish Groups" to find out for yourself.

Did you think that there'd be a controversy over the casting of Iron Fist or the female love interest in the Shang Chi movie? people will surprise you.

*double post* weird

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but they must, if they intend to use him. that's my argument. he's not lex luthor. he's a much more complex character. and the complexity comes from his attachment to an important period of time in world history. it's real simple. don't introduce Apocalypse if you don't also plan to introduce the egyptian elements. don't introduce Magneto if you're not interested in touching the Holocaust. is that too much to ask?
    Is it too much to ask? Well kinda. I guess for me that seems really extreme. So they can never use the character because they can't use the holocaust origin anymore? I just disagree with that. I want to see Magneto in the MCU. It's hard to imagine a Charles Xavier without a counter ideologue like Magneto. And the Apocalypse comparison is flawed. Apocalypse is essentially immortal, you can still use the Egyptian origin for him.

Oh, and I love Michael Fassbender as Magneto. But c'mon, their time jumps from the 60's to 80's and 90's. While Xavier and Magneto basically looking exactly the same through each decade.
    Last edited by Variant; 09-18-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Today’s House of X could explain the lack of aging. Should they choose to incorporate stuff from the current revamp in the comics in their MCU version of the mutants. Which I think could be really cool if done right. Start with the whole Krakoa story from Giant-Sized X-men #1 and then jump to the present, where Krakoa is now am emerging mutant nation state.

Is it too much to ask? Well kinda. I guess for me that seems really extreme. So they can never use the character because they can't use the holocaust origin anymore?
    Magneto has already seen a lot of exposure. i'd rather him not appear than be used badly. at no time did they say they can't use the origin. because that has already been disproven. we've seen it several times. it really doesn't take that much imagination. flashbacks. period pieces. time travel. we're talking about science fiction, here. we've already seen a relatively grown up Cassie Lang greet her time traveling father. nothing is impossible. but, again, we've already seen a lot of Magneto. and a really high bar was set.

I just disagree with that. I want to see Magneto in the MCU. It's hard to imagine a Charles Xavier without a counter ideologue like Magneto. And the Apocalypse comparison is flawed. Apocalypse is essentially immortal, you can still use the Egyptian origin for him.
    you're missing the point. being egyptian is essential to Apocalypse. being a camp survivor is essential to Magneto. it's where his righteousness stems from. you see the numbers on his arm and know that you can't really argue with the guy. you can't make chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips.

Amazing Member

Magneto has already seen a lot of exposure. i'd rather him not appear than be used badly. at no time did they say they can't use the origin. because that has already been disproven. we've seen it several times. it really doesn't take that much imagination. flashbacks. period pieces. time travel. we're talking about science fiction, here. we've already seen a relatively grown up Cassie Lang greet her time traveling father. nothing is impossible. but, again, we've already seen a lot of Magneto. and a really high bar was set.
    I'd rather they use anything else other than time travel. I agree I'd really like to see other X villians get exposure. But again, for me the question is how are mutants going to be introduced in the MCU? Have they been around the whole time? That's going to be an important factor with how it's going to impact the origins of some characters.

you're missing the point. being egyptian is essential to Apocalypse. being a camp survivor is essential to Magneto. it's where his righteousness stems from. you see the numbers on his arm and know that you can't really argue with the guy. you can't make chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips.
    I'm not missing your point. I agree with what your saying to a certain extent. I just respectfully disagree that in Magneto's case, you can't change the origins to fit with the modern narrative. Now I'm not saying he has to be black, but he doesn't necessarily have to be jewish either. But there's a lot of atrocities that have happened in recent modern times that could potentially be used - Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda genocide, Afghanistan, Iraq, The Syrian civil war. (Now I just want to be clear, I' m not saying any of these compare to the holocaust by any means) I'm just saying that his origins can be changed for the MCU to fit the modern narrative. I totally understand there are people who wouldn't like that. But for me personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Incredible Member

Is it too much to ask? Well kinda. I guess for me that seems really extreme. So they can never use the character because they can't use the holocaust origin anymore? I just disagree with that. I want to see Magneto in the MCU. It's hard to imagine a Charles Xavier without a counter ideologue like Magneto. And the Apocalypse comparison is flawed. Apocalypse is essentially immortal, you can still use the Egyptian origin for him.

Oh, and I love Michael Fassbender as Magneto. But c'mon, their time jumps from the 60's to 80's and 90's. While Xavier and Magneto basically looking exactly the same through each decade.
    I might have agreed with you, but we just had Doom Patrol and it was one of the best shows of all time.

It did more or less the same thing.

LOL Apocalypse does NOT need to be Egyptian. His iconography is apostolic, his ethos is Darwinian, and his powers are cumulative. His Egyptian identity was merely to age him up in a VERY comicbooky fashion in order to be impressive. He’s messy and his history is poorly considered. Let’s keep this conversation about Magneto.

Unless you’re suggesting there’d be a similar uproar of controversy claiming Egyptian or African erasure?

I'm not missing your point. I agree with what your saying to a certain extent. I just respectfully disagree that in Magneto's case, you can't change the origins to fit with the modern narrative. Now I'm not saying he has to be black, but he doesn't necessarily have to be jewish either. But there's a lot of atrocities that have happened in recent modern times that could potentially be used - Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda genocide, Afghanistan, Iraq, The Syrian civil war. (Now I just want to be clear, I' m not saying any of these compare to the holocaust by any means) I'm just saying that his origins can be changed for the MCU to fit the modern narrative. I totally understand there are people who wouldn't like that. But for me personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    it's just a weaker story. and it's Magneto-in-name-only. i feel that it would be an asterik on even a successful marvel x-men reboot. you should have a problem with it. because it's just as easy to just create a new character who meets those other requirements (being a victim of bosnia, rwandan genocide, etc). introduce Exodus. show in his origin that an elderly Magneto saved him from one of those genocides. flashforward to Exodus choosing to pick up the baton of a long past mutant freedom fighter/terrorist. have him just go way over the top in his crusade against humanity. there. i introduced a contemporary magneto and included the Magneto with his origin intact. took me 3 seconds. if i can do that, what would be anyone else's excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    LOL Apocalypse does NOT need to be Egyptian. His iconography is apostolic, his ethos is Darwinian, and his powers are cumulative.
    his iconography evolved over time. his ethos is En Sabah Nurian. his power was to be durable enough to survive the life of a deformed egyptian slave.

BANNED

People have strong feelings on this. And it's an easy thing to bash. But we also need to realize the current MCU takes place in present time in 2019. Like it's 2019 people ---- They can't keep doing the holocaust origin story for Magneto anymore considering he's going to be too old for someone that was born in the 1930s. And while I realize in the comic books these characters are essentially ageless. It just doesn't work that way in the Cinematic universe. Many of these characters are going to be cast by young actors because they're going to get older, and I'm assuming both Charles and Magneto are going to be in their 30s or maybe in their 40s? And while I haven't been keeping up on the latest MCU news, it's still an open question how they're going to introduce Mutants? Have they been around the whole time or is an event going occur which triggers the mutant gene? Unless something has changed there's a lot of factors at play here.

Magneto is a character that has genocidal tendencies, He's the foil to Charles Xavier. He doesn't trust humans because he's seen the worst of humanity. And for him to have that point of view he has to go through something that was traumatic. He doesn't necessarily have to be Black, heck he could even be Middle-Eastern, or Bosnian. But I wouldn't have a problem if they changed his ethnicity. It would actually make sense and fit with the modern societel narrative and the spirit of his character.
    Why isnt Captain America or Wolverine too old? They could be Magneto's father and grandfather age wise.

his iconography evolved over time. his ethos is En Sabah Nurian. his power was to be durable enough to survive the life of a deformed egyptian slave.
    Riiiight.

Do your show girl.