View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

    38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

    148 79.57%
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 667
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I really hope they do not change his race. If MCU wants more diversity incorporate black characters that already exist or create new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Agreed. The X-Men has some great black characters already and the MCU can make new ones as well. I am not a fan of changing the race of previously established characters.
    THIS is a sentiment I think this whole board can agree on. Give us Acolytes and an Outback roster, 50 foot Sentinels, and Krakoa. Magneto, Xavier, and Phoenix can all be deceased iconoclasts.

  2. #32
    Mighty Member CGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    As long as they keep the Jewish part of him intact. It would be interesting to see a Jewish Afro European? Given the history of USAmerica.

    Was hoping for white Jewish Magneto.

    But we did already have two good versions of that.

  3. #33
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I really hope they do not change his race. If MCU wants more diversity incorporate black characters that already exist or create new ones.
    The problem that comes in with that sometimes is the role and the space. If they keep the 05 all white and then magneto and professor x that is already 7 characters that are white and you can only focus on but so many characters. So even beyond a PC point of view if you are trying to do a diverse cast in that respect either a lot of people's favorite character is going to get left out in the name of diversity, which in this case would be some pretty important characters or you adjust those characters to add the diversity you need. And in the grand scheme of things the greater audience don't care about the comics or how the characters look in comics it's the comic fans that care and they aren't going to bring in the revenue Disney wants to see so it's easier to just diversify the existing ones. For me if the characters race doesn't play a big deal and their are already 7 white characters that potentially take up spots i don't see the problem.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    As long as they keep the Jewish part of him intact. It would be interesting to see a Jewish Afro European? Given the history of USAmerica.

    Was hoping for white Jewish Magneto.

    But we did already have two good versions of that.
    I agree, and hopefully it will FINALLY wake people up to the fact that jewish isn't a race. Cause i can already hear the "but how..."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  5. #35
    Mugga, please. xhx23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,361

    Default

    As long as the sexual tension between him and Xavier is there they can do whatever they want.

    But I highly doubt that they would go that route with Mags. Xavier seems like the more obvious of the two to race bent.

  6. #36
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,766

    Default

    Nothing of Magneto’s whiteness is essential to his character and I’m not understanding why anyone would be so angry if that got changed. What’s important to Magneto is his identity as a Jewish person whose ideology and mantra is shaped by his traumatic experiences as a survivor of the Holocaust, so making him black only takes that oppressed angle and makes it much more believable for the road they’ve taken him down as a freedom fighter, revolutionary, and terrorist.

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Nothing of Magneto’s whiteness is essential to his character and I’m not understanding why anyone would be so angry if that got changed. What’s important to Magneto is his identity as a Jewish person whose ideology and mantra is shaped by his traumatic experiences as a survivor of the Holocaust, so making him black only takes that oppressed angle and makes it much more believable for the road they’ve taken him down as a freedom fighter, revolutionary, and terrorist.
    I can't see what other person of color they can make magneto besides black either after reading your post. Because if they go with anything else the terrorist thing is going to become a huge backfire point. Maybe make Xavier arabic, that would be nice to see.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  8. #38
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,781

    Default

    Xavier and Magneto are not stand-ins for MLK and Malcolm X. Claremont based their conflict on Israeli politics.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    As long as the sexual tension between him and Xavier is there they can do whatever they want.

    But I highly doubt that they would go that route with Mags. Xavier seems like the more obvious of the two to race bent.
    I think Xavier is the easiest one to cast with any type of person of color because he's all peace and coexistance so it will be non-threatening to the public image of that race.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The problem that comes in with that sometimes is the role and the space. If they keep the 05 all white and then magneto and professor x that is already 7 characters that are white and you can only focus on but so many characters. So even beyond a PC point of view if you are trying to do a diverse cast in that respect either a lot of people's favorite character is going to get left out in the name of diversity, which in this case would be some pretty important characters or you adjust those characters to add the diversity you need. And in the grand scheme of things the greater audience don't care about the comics or how the characters look in comics it's the comic fans that care and they aren't going to bring in the revenue Disney wants to see so it's easier to just diversify the existing ones. For me if the characters race doesn't play a big deal and their are already 7 white characters that potentially take up spots i don't see the problem.
    If the movie going public does not care what race the characters were in the comic, they don't care about anyone's missing favorites either.

    What people will probably care about is marketing, though. It was probably not a big deal to switch Nick Fury, but there is a lot more merchandise that is harder to profit from when people are confused about who they are buying.

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Xavier and Magneto are not stand-ins for MLK and Malcolm X. Claremont based their conflict on Israeli politics.
    Either way you slice it Stan came first and i will go by what he says. I'm not about to call a man a liar. He was already a success by the time that interview came along so there was no reason to lie. And claremont could have made it whatever he wanted but he still wasn't first so he might have changed it from it's original intent but that doesn't change the fact that the original creator says otherwise and the only way to debunk it is to call him a liar.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    If the movie going public does not care what race the characters were in the comic, they don't care about anyone's missing favorites either.

    What people will probably care about is marketing, though. It was probably not a big deal to switch Nick Fury, but there is a lot more merchandise that is harder to profit from when people are confused about who they are buying.
    I agree with you. But my point in general is really which would the comic fans be more upset about or what would they prefer. A black magneto, or potentially never seeing Magneto or insert character. Either way i don't think it will make much difference to the overall audience.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  13. #43
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,781

    Default

    Well, Stan Lee *is* a notorious liar.

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Well, Stan Lee *is* a notorious liar.
    I don't know the man personally so i can't say. But no one who worked with him at that time has come out and said "that's bull we weren't going for that at all. Stan is full of it."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  15. #45
    Fantastic Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    284

    Default

    And I say this, and only this, as a black guy:

    Magneto needs to be white. Period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •