View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

My feelings are that Magneto should stay linked to Judaism and the Holocaust or to Israel working with Nazi Hunters, he should have a direct connection to what happened even if it's his mother and father being linked to the Holocaust. Magneto could be mixed race and still remain connected to Israel, but he should have something that links him back to the worst modern genocide in the last 200 years.

Xavier on the other hand, honestly there isn't any reason he needs to be a Caucasian man, he can be African American easily enough and have the exact same history. Professor Xavier comes from a wealthy African American family and he inherited the estate, he discovered he was a telepath in his teens, learned later that it meant he was a mutant. He would have a deep connection to African American history and would understand the similarities between the persecution of African Americans and Mutants. Xavier is and always has been American, so he can honestly be Caucasion, African American, Asian American, Native American, any of it, it really doesn't matter.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Good god are y’all still on this??
    He seems to believe that everyone thinks everyone else is a racist or sexist. Cannot stand fans with that mindset.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Huh?! They going to fit all that exposition and history and research in a 10-15 minute backstory. Someone presenting this to me at marvel i'd be all "Oh yeah, we definitely going black." lol
    Then congratulations, you just proved it's nothing but a superficial stunt move.

I mean, unlike blacks, there are so many Jews in MCU...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    My feelings are that Magneto should stay linked to Judaism and the Holocaust or to Israel working with Nazi Hunters, he should have a direct connection to what happened even if it's his mother and father being linked to the Holocaust. Magneto could be mixed race and still remain connected to Israel, but he should have something that links him back to the worst modern genocide in the last 200 years.

Xavier on the other hand, honestly there isn't any reason he needs to be a Caucasian man, he can be African American easily enough and have the exact same history. Professor Xavier comes from a wealthy African American family and he inherited the estate, he discovered he was a telepath in his teens, learned later that it meant he was a mutant. He would have a deep connection to African American history and would understand the similarities between the persecution of African Americans and Mutants. Xavier is and always has been American, so he can honestly be Caucasion, African American, Asian American, Native American, any of it, it really doesn't matter.
    I agree completely. Xavier's identity is as an American and as a mutant. His race or gender could be altered and it would change nothing about the character except for his appearance. If you think that characters need to look exactly like their comic book counterparts, you are entitled to that opinion. personally, I would rather have the best actor for the job, their skin tone isnt even a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Then congratulations, you just proved it's nothing but a superficial stunt move.

I mean, unlike blacks, there are so many Jews in MCU...
    Oh it's definitely a stunt move but a stunt move doesn't necessarily make it bad when it's approached sympathetically and with care.

I think i must have taken the last part too literal because i don't understand what you meant. Are you implying there are a lot of jews in the MCU or are you saying there aren't a lot of jews in the MCU.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

But from solely a marketing stand point making the leading two mutants another race also instantaneously separates it from Fox's movies and it's universe and allows them to introduce them even sooner than what was probably planned before the loss of Spiderman.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

Amazing Member

Oh it's definitely a stunt move but a stunt move doesn't necessarily make it bad when it's approached sympathetically and with care.

I think i must have taken the last part too literal because i don't understand what you meant. Are you implying there are a lot of jews in the MCU or are you saying there aren't a lot of jews in the MCU.
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic. There are no Jews in MCU to make it seem like it's some "progressive" move. Apparently, the new way in Hollywood is just make them black and be done with the diversity quota. Can't believe blacks are settling for that...

The shitstorm will be glorious
    Reading list: Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Ironheart (Marvel), Champions (Marvel), Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter (Marvel), Runaways (Marvel), Young Justice (DC), Naomi (DC), Justice League Odyssey (DC), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Bitter Root (Image), Quincredible (Lionforge), Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot (BOOM!)

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic. There are no Jews in MCU to make it seem like it's some "progressive" move. Apparently, the new way in Hollywood is just make them black and be done with the diversity quota. Can't believe blacks are settling for that...
    But there are black jewish people.

Mighty Member

I would like for Magneto to keep his origin from the holocaust but it lacks credibility considering his age for the movies. Time to retcon his origin for the movies?

Storm is the lead. This will eventually allow a crossover with Black Panther.

Shadow King is the villain. Maybe not the direct villain, but the long term one. Again, plants stories in Africa, maybe ties to Wakanda.

Rest of the cast is basically the New Mutants. Maybe Academy X kids. Worst case scenario Gen X if Disney does not kill the New Mutants Fox movie.

Young, diverse cast, very little taint from the Fox movies.

You don't need to be white to be Jewish or a Holocaust victim.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I don't have a problem with changing Magneto's skin color but I would prefer if it doesn't change. He is very iconic as he is

I would vote to change many other characters, like Cyclops or Jean or someone else.

Mighty Member

Maybe time for a black Xavier instead?

To this I would say Google black Germans during the Holocaust.
    Yeah, I know that people don't give a lot of thought to non-White Europeans, especially not back in that era, but that hardly means they didn't exist.