View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Scott Eastwood shouldn't be cast as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Scott Eastwood shouldn't be cast as anything.
    I think he looks the part of Logan, but his acting is....less than what I would hope for in the new Logan. He just needs some lesson's from his dad and he'll lock that roll down though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

He could probably pull off the part of silent bodyguard or something.

People can talk all they want about how Magneto needs to be a polish Jewish person from the holocaust, but if they get Denzel to play Magneto that entire argument becomes void.

Spectacular Member

Magneto being a handsome chad white alpha male makes it very hard to sell him as oppressed and persecuted. If you have those traits life is going to be significantly easier for you by default.

We now live in an era where identity politics spurred by the right and left has replaced Martin Luther King's ideals. Xavier may have been inspired by King, but King's ideals are pretty much dead. That makes it hard to have either Xavier or Magneto be white men.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    My feelings are that Magneto should stay linked to Judaism and the Holocaust or to Israel working with Nazi Hunters, he should have a direct connection to what happened even if it's his mother and father being linked to the Holocaust. Magneto could be mixed race and still remain connected to Israel, but he should have something that links him back to the worst modern genocide in the last 200 years.

Xavier on the other hand, honestly there isn't any reason he needs to be a Caucasian man, he can be African American easily enough and have the exact same history. Professor Xavier comes from a wealthy African American family and he inherited the estate, he discovered he was a telepath in his teens, learned later that it meant he was a mutant. He would have a deep connection to African American history and would understand the similarities between the persecution of African Americans and Mutants. Xavier is and always has been American, so he can honestly be Caucasion, African American, Asian American, Native American, any of it, it really doesn't matter.
    Connecting him with Israel would be utterly toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Connecting him with Israel would be utterly toxic.
    He already is connected with Israel. That’s where he met Charles Xavier and where Charles met Gabrielle Haller. That said, changing the races is a bad idea.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Where is the weakly coded "find the best actor for the job" mantra that I've seen when I or other posters took issue with Ms color or the casting in New Mutants????
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    Magneto being a handsome chad white alpha male makes it very hard to sell him as oppressed and persecuted. If you have those traits life is going to be significantly easier for you by default.
    Duuuude Right? lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Looking at the number votes in the poll, I am quite surprised but pleased as well. I thought it was going to be 60%-40% but 80%-20% is promising and makes me happy because it means we do care about the source material and no most of us are not racists just because we don't want to change a character's race. I am presuming the 80% who voted to keep Magneto jewish white have stronger loyalties to the comics than to movies. 20% are likely mostly voting to make him black because they are always down and 100% okay with anything MCU does Good to see when it comes to x-men and Spiderman, the comics trump movies.

Speaking of Spiderman, I really don't like how they created MJ and I don't want Magneto to be like that either. they made her black but don't want to call her mary jane watson, She is Michelle Jones. This is the problem with faux diversity like Mary Jane in the MCU , we don't actually really have the most iconic love interest in the history of marvel comics because faux diversity won't let us call her Mary Jane. These studio folks wants to eat their cake and have it with their faux diversity and unrealistic political correctness. I don't want all these baggage in xmen movies when there are many mutants of color already.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Where is the weakly coded "find the best actor for the job" mantra that I've seen when I or other posters took issue with Ms color or the casting in New Mutants????
    lol

Duuuude Right? lol
    Finding the best actor for the job does not mean some of the core traits of the characters or person should be disposed.

If I wanted to make a MLK biopic, I would not even think of hiring a white actor regardless of how talented or good they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And we should cast Amanda Seyfried as Storm and Scott Eastwood as Bishop.
    The big difference there is Storm's history is very specific about her being the daughter of an African American man and a Kenyan Princess. It is also very specific that she comes from an ancient line of African priestesses, Priestesses that are based on real life historical black african figures. So in that case if they wish they can cast a white actress to play a character called Storm but it would not be Storm so it's almost pointless and would be way to much work. A case of going out of your way to change the race of a character. Her entire history would need to be rewritten.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Nothing of Magneto’s whiteness is essential to his character and I’m not understanding why anyone would be so angry if that got changed. What’s important to Magneto is his identity as a Jewish person whose ideology and mantra is shaped by his traumatic experiences as a survivor of the Holocaust, so making him black only takes that oppressed angle and makes it much more believable for the road they’ve taken him down as a freedom fighter, revolutionary, and terrorist.
    On the "Believable" front, I'm not so sure about the Nazis letting a black Jew survive the Holocaust is "More" believable.

Such a person probably would have been way up there on the list of people they intended to wipe out.

Sort of see where you are coming from. Not so sure about doing it not being something of a stretch.

And thats not even if they plan to address she was once worshipped as a goddess in Africa. That would just be such a lovely role for Amanda Seyfried. (sarcasm) I don't even think "i should be able to play trangender" Johanssen would take that role on.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

Also...

This is the article the "Yahoo" piece is actually based on. Doesn't exactly scream "Totally On The Level...", to me -

- https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/09...x-magneto-poc/

Marvel Studios Considering Making Professor X & Magneto POC In ‘X-Men’ Reboot (Exclusive)

"Exclusive"...

Yeah, I bet it is.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Also...

This is the article the "Yahoo" piece is actually based on. Doesn't exactly scream "Totally On The Level...", to me -

- https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/09...x-magneto-poc/

"Exclusive"...

Yeah, I bet it is.
    Sometimes the studios themselves do it just so they can gauge reaction before going forward in a direction. It's a smart way to survey something especially in the age of social media. Like a free focus group. Still fun to speculate in some cases like this where it could make sense.