Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Both characters are very specific in their history and motivations....if it is acceptable to change one of them then it is acceptable to change any of them.

How about we get a chinese guy to play Wolverine and a hispanic to play Colossus while we are at it. We can completely alter their back stories just because.

And then let's see how well that movie does...about as well as any of the FF movies Fox put out.

My point is they should honor the source material.
    Wolverine would probably do better if he were Asian. I always assumed that he was biracial; native Canadian mix. he's always been kind of odd looking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Wolverine would probably do better if he were Asian. I always assumed that he was biracial; native Canadian mix. he's always been kind of odd looking.
    I always thought Logan was half Japanese and half Inuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Finding the best actor for the job does not mean some of the core traits of the characters or person should be disposed.
    Every one of the characters that were whitewashed has their specific race important to their character. I can't think of a minority X-Character that doesn't since it's a conscious decision to make that character not white. If there were a poll I bet overwhelmingly people would be cool with the casting. Not sure what's so difficult or confusing about that

Looking at the number votes in the poll, I am quite surprised but pleased as well. I thought it was going to be 60%-40% but 80%-20% is promising and makes me happy because it means we do care about the source material and no most of us are not racists just because we don't want to change a character's race. I am presuming the 80% who voted to keep Magneto jewish white have stronger loyalties to the comics than to movies. 20% are likely mostly voting to make him black because they are always down and 100% okay with anything MCU does Good to see when it comes to x-men and Spiderman, the comics trump movies.
    lol Dude it wasn't even explicitly confirmed in the 616 that Magneto was Jewish till his 2009 miniseries that lifted his early origin straight from the first movie
    Fauxdiversity and unrealistic political correctness. I don't want all these baggage in xmen movies when there are many mutants of color already.
    I'm not a fan of the MCU just of good storytelling. Have a Black magneto would be dope as hell and kinda long overdue as He and the O5 were coded as black when they first debuted and since then the X-Franchise
    done a pisspoor job at representation when it comes to minority Mutants. Noot sure how its faux diversity... I mean none of the actor's playing him have been Jewish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Magneto’s history is equally specific regarding him being a white Jew who survived the Holocaust. It’s kind of a huge part of who he is as a character, what drives him and what makes him a sympathetic villain.
    Magneto wasn't Jewish when he was created and wasn't till Claremont took over the X-Men that it became "crucial to his storyline"And in the Early 80s that it was first hinted at
    I never understand how these arguments only seem to work one way. Can’t change a minority character’s race because “that’s core to who he/she is” but if you want to take a “chad white male” and make him POC, who cares?
    Dude you're weakening your own argument lol But do you an extensive list of white characters race bent And there wasn't a Huuuuuuuge cry of foul coming from random???

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I’d rather see a gay Magneto.
    Hmm how come?
    GrindrStone(D)

Magneto’s history is equally specific regarding him being a white Jew who survived the Holocaust. It’s kind of a huge part of who he is as a character, what drives him and what makes him a sympathetic villain. I never understand how these arguments only seem to work one way. Can’t change a minority character’s race because “that’s core to who he/she is” but if you want to take a “chad white male” and make him POC, who cares?
    "Jewish" is the specific important motivator. That and "Holocaust survivor". The color of his skin isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I think that is the point of open casting Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Viola Davis,Michelle Yeoh, Jean Carlo Esposito,Oscar Isaac,Sterling K. Brown,Javier Bardem are around. Would you change Xavier or Magneto if the caliber actor is around to elevate the role
    The elevation of the role comes from the script and directing not the actor. there are many white and non white actors who are equally talented. if they don't have a script or material to work it, their talents can't go far. this is the reason we sometimes say, an actor's talent was wasted in a bad film.

The xavier and magneto actors are prime examples, it was the script in first class that made James Mcavoy and Michael Fassbender worthy successors of mckellen and stewart. it was not their race or just the actors talent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I’d rather see a gay Magneto. Of course he can be gay and black, but we know that’s not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Every one of the characters that were whitewashed has their specific race important to their character. I can't think of a minority X-Character that doesn't since it's a conscious decision to make that character not white. If there were a poll I bet overwhelmingly people would be cool with the casting. Not sure what's so difficult or confusing about that

lol Dude it wasn't even explicitly confirmed in the 616 that Magneto was Jewish till his 2009 miniseries that lifted his early origin straight from the first movie

I'm not a fan of the MCU just of good storytelling. Have a Black magneto would be dope as hell and kinda long overdue as He and the O5 were coded as black when they first debuted and since then the X-Franchise
    done a pisspoor job at representation when it comes to minority Mutants. Noot sure how its faux diversity... I mean none of the actor's playing him have been Jewish
    Magneto wasn't Jewish when he was created and wasn't till Claremont took over the X-Men that it became "crucial to his storyline"And in the Early 80s that it was first hinted at
    Dude you're weakening your own argument lol But do you an extensive list of white characters race bent And there wasn't a Huuuuuuuge cry of foul coming from random???

Hmm how come?
    Because, There's a need for it?

Denzel is smart enough to not take this role. This isn't the way to make your mark. Remember when they tried to americanize Doctor Doom?

And why are we doing this? He can't be a Holocaust survivor because he would be too old. Being black won't solve that problem. And there's no point in using a Magneto who isn't a Holocaust survivor. Exodus, Moses Magnum, etc. pick one. They clearly have no faith in a franchise without Magneto. But they also clearly don't understand what makes him a good character. He's not a lee character. Claremont created what we know as Magneto. And he didn't have to identify him as Jewish because the brand and the flashbacks to striped pajamas should have clued you in.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-14-2019 at 12:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Denzel is smart enough to not take this role. This isn't the way to make your mark. Remember when they tried to americanize Doctor Doom?

And why are we doing this? He can't be a Holocaust survivor because he would be too old. Being black won't solve that problem. And there's no point in using a Magneto who isn't a Holocaust survivor. Exodus, Moses Magnum, etc. pick one. They clearly have no faith in a franchise without Magneto. But they also clearly don't understand what makes him a good character. He's not a lee character. Claremont created what we know as Magneto. And he didn't have to identify him as Jewish because the brand and the flashbacks to striped pajamas should have clued you in.
    Denzel as Magneto would be glorious

He dont give a fuck about what comic fans got to say

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    You didn't though you rewrote her whole story. You took away her being a goddess. You took away her connection to the ancient african line of priestesses. And you took away her royal status.

So now we have a bosian character that is just named Ororo/Storm. That is not translating or adapting original source material that is creating a new character using inspiration from an already existing one to create a bosian counterpart.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Oh and you would also have to change her name because it literally says her name is "ororo, which in her native tongue means beauty." So if she doesn't have that connection and was born in Bosnia they would need to find the name equivalent to beauty in that language.
    And making Magneto black does the exact same thing. You take away the Jewish kid who survives the Death Camp and take away his motivation for fighting for mutant rights.

What will be his new back story...black kid in the American South in the civil rights movement who's family gets killed by the KKK and vows that something like that will never happen to mutants??

And making Magneto black does the exact same thing. You take away the Jewish kid who survives the Death Camp and take away his motivation for fighting for mutant rights.

What will be his new back story...black kid in the American South in the civil rights movement who's family gets killed by the KKK and vows that something like that will never happen to mutants??
    Unless, you know, they say he a Black Jewish kid that survived the Camps

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Unless, you know, they say he a Black Jewish kid that survived the Camps
    Considering the Nazis:
    A) Hated Jews
    B) Hated blacks
    C) Hated children of said groups even more

That's quite the plot hole for how he survived.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

I'm not really on board for a non Jewish Magneto but Storm and him are apples and oranges Storm was conceived as a African Goddess Magneto being a Holocaust survivor was a retcon from 17 years after his creation.

Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar

Does Magneto need to be played by an abled person?

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'm not really on board for a non Jewish Magneto but Storm and him are apples and oranges Storm was conceived as a African Goddess Magneto being a Holocaust survivor was a retcon from 17 years after his creation.
    Probably because for most of the earliest X-Men runs, the series is so campy you can pitch a tent and roast marshmallows next to it.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."