View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Some characters can't be changed so drastically without unintended consequences. This might be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I don’t have a strong opinion on this subject, but how reliable is this rumor anyway? Is it just random people talking on the internet or is there an official source?
    This is the article the "Yahoo" piece is based on...

- https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/09...x-magneto-poc/

Marvel Studios Considering Making Professor X & Magneto POC In ‘X-Men’ Reboot (Exclusive)
    Here is the only thing that is anything like an "Official Source..." in the article...

Earlier this year, Feige spoke about representation in the MCU and how he believes it’s the future of the franchise. “So, the notion of representation on screen, in front of and behind the camera, somebody asked me once, so is Black Panther a one-off? I said, no, it’s not a one-off,” Feige told The Wrap. “This is the future. This is the way the world is, and the way, certainly, our studio’s going to be run going forward, because it brings about better stories. The more diverse the group of people making the movie is, the better the stories.”
    The name of the article might as well be "Marvel Studios Considering DMX For X-Factor Director."

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseBeFeige View Post
    He seems to believe that everyone thinks everyone else is a racist or sexist. Cannot stand fans with that mindset.
    I can’t tell you how many times I had to rollllllll my eyes when BP came out.
    All these “reviewers” were saying “omgg I cant even criticize Black Panther or else I’ll be a RACIST!!!” like......who said that? If your review isn’t racist, then it won’t be called that. And also Imma need these people to stop acting like getting called racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic is the end of the world when those on the other end are actually losing their lives over just existing.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Considering the Nazis:
    A) Hated Jews
    B) Hated blacks
    C) Hated children of said groups even more

That's quite the plot hole for how he survived.
    That's not a plot hole any more than white Magneto surviving. Not everybody the Nazis wanted to kill got killed before the Nazis lost. That's not a plot hole. Unlikely circumstances aren't a plot hole.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And making Magneto black does the exact same thing. You take away the Jewish kid who survives the Death Camp and take away his motivation for fighting for mutant rights.

What will be his new back story...black kid in the American South in the civil rights movement who's family gets killed by the KKK and vows that something like that will never happen to mutants??
    Survior of Rwandan Genocide or Cambodian Genocide is similar enough in current setting. Same motivation similar tragedy .It is possible to tell a similar story with a person from a different background.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I can’t tell you how many times I had to rollllllll my eyes when BP came out.
    All these “reviewers” were saying “omgg I cant even criticize Black Panther or else I’ll be a RACIST!!!” like......who said that? If your review isn’t racist, then it won’t be called that. And also Imma need these people to stop acting like getting called racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic is the end of the world when those on the other end are actually losing their lives over just existing.
    Things are getting even more pathetic. I watched the trailer for the upcoming Terminator, and loads of comments are complaining because a Hispanic girl was in the trailer, and "forced diversity" and how "all woman have to look like men because Hollywood Feminism."

Then the scene in T2 with Sarah trying to assassinated her target, someone comments a white woman breaking into a black family's house & shooting at them wouldn't fly because how sensitive everyone is today..

Funny that things have no progressed much in terms of race in 2019. Almost seems things were better in the 70's,. lol

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That's not a plot hole any more than white Magneto surviving. Not everybody the Nazis wanted to kill got killed before the Nazis lost. That's not a plot hole. Unlikely circumstances aren't a plot hole.
    Check out a book called "Forgotten Victims: Blacks in the Holocaust".

Blacks were often beaten and killed even before reaching the camps.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Survior of Rwandan Genocide or Cambodian Genocide is similar enough in current setting. Same motivation similar tragedy .It is possible to tell a similar story with a person from a different background.
    Except that no genocide IS the same, and claiming otherwise is dangerous and harmful. What happened in Rwanda is different from what happened in Cambodia, is different from what happened in China, which is different from what happened in the Soviet Union, which is different from what happened in Europe. THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Check out a book called "Forgotten Victims: Blacks in the Holocaust".

Blacks were often beaten and killed even before reaching the camps.
    You pretty much make the case for why this could be fantastic. Now imagine being targeted for being black, targeted for being jewish, and only being kept alive because of your mutant gift. What does that do to him, how does that make him feel about being a mutant and how viscerally does he react when the one thing that kept him alive when everything else he was targeted him for death is now being seen a less than in the modern free world. It writes itself.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I never said no one cares and no where in his decritoion does it state white Jew anywhere. I understand and sympathize with those genuine people who connect to this characters and feel they get a bad wrap because the vocal ones do present it in questionable way. I don't think it's wrong for a white male to be like I like magneto because of who he is and that he looks like me. And it's unsympathetic to be like well there are plenty other people that look like you out there go connect to one of them. It is inherently unfair especially to younger children who are fans of the comics and have no responsibility for the past but at the end of the day we are a society and everyone does deserve representation so I don't have a problem in cases of fiction where the door is basically wide.open for it. It should always be approached with sympathy but at the end of the day sometimes it is just for the overall best or makes the most sense. This a businesses trying to cast a wide profit not appease people who feel they own their properties so you have to weigh the damage vs. the advantages. Sucks sometimes but that's the world and we all want it to be as equal as possible.
    This is the exact logic used in the past to keep entertainment properties UNrepresentative in the past. Was that okay?
    “Tell me, are you an Avenger now? The brand is not what it once was” - Mr. Sinister, Uncanny X-Men (2019) #19

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    This is the exact logic used in the past to keep entertainment properties UNrepresentative in the past. Was that okay?
    Your right and those actions have consequences. It is on them to decide what they want to do with their properties but there are consequences be it fiscal or social or both. It is the person in charge and there lack of of knowledge and awareness that makes the difference. A lot of people and companies are now trying to rehab their images in this social media world where they didn't think of inclusion or made casting gaffes while those who knew thats how business worked and went beyond it are ahead.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

This talk at all is just ridiculous. It shows that people don’t give a damn about the characters at all. If you are willing to change them that much at least. Proposing these kind of changes are only to make people feel better about themselves.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This talk at all is just ridiculous. It shows that people don’t give a damn about the characters at all. If you are willing to change them that much at least. Proposing these kind of changes are only to make people feel better about themselves.
    Adaptations should always be free to make changes, no matter how dramatic. All that matters is the quality of the resultant work.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Uh, not seeing it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Adaptations should always be free to make changes, no matter how dramatic. All that matters is the quality of the resultant work.
    What is the purpose of the changes other than making the filmmakers feel better about themselves and trying to show how amazing they are at the expense of the characters. Also you can play the game where it doesn’t matter how much they change something in an adaption but when a change like this happens it often times forces the source material and other adaptions to change with it (Nick Fury) or clueless fans of the adaption getting up in arms when it is even rumored that a more faithful adaption of the character may be in the works and said clamor causes the studio to reconsider (Iris West).
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!