• Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    This is now too off topic. sorry.

Neh, they are kind of the same to me. Cute small girl with wings. I really don't think MCU can tell Angel/Pixie apart from Tinkerbell. Also Angel is a person of color from the comics too, so the series was already getting more diverse in what I believe is the right way by using the actual people of color characters.

Although I would say I remember this pixie storyline in uncanny xmen when she was brutally attacked by extremists. I would love to see that in film. that would be more interesting to talk about than another faux diversity controversy.
    Nah I want you to answer. What is street cred?

Incredible Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Actually it isn't that simple

X1 -Magneto and Brotherhood
    X-2 Col Striker plus Magneto pulling heel turn
    X-3 Dark Phoenix,The cure and Magneto

First Class- Sebastian Shaw plus Magneto pulling a heel turn
    DoFP- Trask and Sentinel Program plus Magneto pulling a heel turn
    X-men Apocalypse- Apocalypse and Magneto force to turn bad
    X-men DP- Vuk and her mushroom people, Phoenix force and Magneto pulling heel a turn and turning back.

Magneto has been the primary villain in about 3 films imo, The other films he has been this weird friend-enemy that for some reason always goes bad and the next movie. The X-men pretend like the mfer didn't just turn on them in the last movie. That said I don't think they should avoid magneto because of the fox films. It is not like MCU is going to try to milk Magneto in every movie like Fox.Magneto is core villain to the X-men and he is the logical counterpoint to Xavier peaceful assimilation with his by any means necessary against the people who threat mutants. I can't see you setting up the franchise and being true the story without opening up with Magneto. I mean by all means move on to other enemies after Magneto but establishing X-men,The Brotherhood,(maybe the Morlocks) and humans who hate them feels like rightway to start the franchise. I guess you can set up Brotherhood without showing Magento. Maybe Exodus and Fabian Cortez could be prime enemies and Magneto looms in the Shadows.
    I have no doubt in my mind that the creators of the MCU are going to use Magneto because they want their shot at him, but I feel like even though the FoX-Men weren't MCU films, they're still in people's mind, they get it. Magneto=antagonist. It's almost become a joke especially since Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix suffered from have weak villains. So they might see more Magneto, more of the same, instead of moving on to other things that are also interesting in X-Men lore. Another Magneto vs. Charles vision film is too much of the same thing. It's really time for a new direction and cast.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind that the creators of the MCU are going to use Magneto because they want their shot at him, but I feel like even though the FoX-Men weren't MCU films, they're still in people's mind, they get it. Magneto=antagonist. It's almost become a joke especially since Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix suffered from have weak villains. So they might see more Magneto, more of the same, instead of moving on to other things that are also interesting in X-Men lore. Another Magneto vs. Charles vision film is too much of the same thing. It's really time for a new direction and cast.
    Feige already said that X-men cast is going to vastly different from what we have seen on screen. But I think fans underestimate how underwhelming X-men villains can be and have been in books. Fox used Magneto, Apocalypse, Sebastian Shaw, Dark Phoenix,Trask, Stryker, Mystique,Reavers with bad versions or average version Juggernaut, Emma Frost, Blob, Toad, Callisto ,Selene, Sabertooth, Azazel (is there a good version him),Riptide, Arclight,etc.So if they are avoiding Fox villians that leaves Mr Sinister, Shadow King, Cassandra Nova, Deathbird and Shiar, Bastion, Nimrod, Stryfe, Mojo, Cameron Hodge,The Phalanx,The Brood, Ahab, Vulcan, Omega Red.I am not too excited about the later group .

I think it is X-men franchise best interest to getting previous stuff right like Apocalypse and his horsemen , A flesh out Hellfire Club with Shaw, Selene, Emma, Mastermind,Pierce and Leland , Magneto with his Acolytes(Exodus, Cortez, Frenzy,Vought,etc) and Brotherhood (Blob, Toad, Pyro, Avalanche,etc). I don't think Fox did good enough job with villians to movie away from them. Plus I think a good chunk of the great stories are attached to those guys. I wouldn't mind Mr Sinister and Marauders used but as well I don't think even Magneto used to his best at Fox.And MCU using lesser guys would be kinda of waste instead giving us what we really want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wow. DonÂ’t even have to look up the producers to know who thought that was a bright idea.

Quick, tell me how Marvel will retell the Black Panther story besides it just being a story that deals with black people and racism.
    Because Marvel has a specific structured formula in place, all their movies are literally the same. their stories can't go beyond that formula. MCU barely has any good villains, Magneto is too complex to be another Killmonger.
    By adding three POC where one almost immediately dies, the other quits several times, and the other is just a token?
    Nope.

Also 1970s was the beginning. from 1970s till now, they have created more POCs.

But. You do. The metaphor is replacing actual inclusivity. ThereÂ’s a majority of white ppl with a few POC sprinkled around like one person of color = one white person. This isnÂ’t even including intersectionality but the X-Men need a major retooling of character focus and/or changing race. Most of the X-Men with major narrative pull are fitting the exact demographics I described, otherwise we wouldÂ’ve seen a much more diverse cast in the FOX-Men.
    X-Men does not need a major retooling and even if they did which they don't, changing the races of magneto and xavier is not the answer. why didn't they make Peter Paker black in spiderverse and just use him as lead? X-MEN has more POCs than Spiderman.

, otherwise we wouldÂ’ve seen a much more diverse cast in the FOX-Men.
    Fans felt the same way but can we call this a good accident? In DOFP Bishop, Warpth and Blink made camoes but those characters did so well in the little they had, fans wished they will show up more in movies. maybe some fans were not saying it for POCs reasons because these characters are interesting on their own in the comics , which again blows faux diversity out out of the water because it is down to the characteristics of the characters in the end. you can have a white or black character who will be unlikable and terrible.

Star Trek Discovery is a good example. the lead character is a black female. first time in history for star trek but once you look above that, she is a terrible character and one of the worst mary sues ever written. Every other black trek character in the past from Worf, to Geordi to Guinan are better written than the the lead from star trek discovery.

Aside from the problems with thinking “street cred” is a free pass to black culture, what “““street cred””” did JT get while he was getting blond tips in NSYNC?
    He didn't really have stred cred then because he was into teen pop music, things changed when he started growing up and working more with people like T.I, Pharellel Williams, Jay Z Snoop Dog and Timberland. he started make some blue music too but also acknowledged how people like Prince and Michael Jackson inspired him and influence his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    Nah I want you to answer. What is street cred?
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=street%20cred
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-16-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

I’m so glad you posted that link about street cred. Now everyone claiming to be an offended black person can get real with themselves. Storm has street cred in Harlem. She got it because of BP&C. Colin Kaepernick has street cred, Rihanna has street cred, Beyoncé has street cred because of Jay. Serena and Venus have street cred. T’Challa and Shuri have street cred because of how Black Panther ended. Ciara and Russell Wilson have street cred. Street cred is pull in the urban community, not pull in the urban criminal community. Please don’t attempt to have a discussion on the subject without understanding what blaxploitation is. Look at where Samuel L. Jackson stacks in America’s history of blaxploitation and tell me he doesn’t have a presence matched by no one else? I’m urging black people in this thread to wake the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I’m so glad you posted that link about street cred. Now everyone claiming to be an offended black person can get real with themselves. Storm has street cred in Harlem. She got it because of BP&C. Colin Kaepernick has street cred, Rihanna has street cred, Beyoncé has street cred because of Jay. Serena and Venus have street cred. T’Challa and Shuri have street cred because of how Black Panther ended. Ciara and Russell Wilson have street cred. Street cred is pull in the urban community, not pull in the urban criminal community. Please don’t attempt to have a discussion on the subject without understanding what blaxploitation is. Look at where Samuel L. Jackson stacks in America’s history of blaxploitation and tell me he doesn’t have a presence matched by no one else? I’m urging black people in this thread to wake the fuck up.
    Question why do people just all assume 99% of black people are okay with race bending white characters?

Lol posting a Urban dictionary definition of Street cred... that's been made up by a someone calling themselves white Jesus is hilarious and The opposite of Street cred Not sure what we have to wake to the whining of a buncha hypocrites? It's like high school all over again
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Question why do people just all assume 99% of black people are okay with race bending white characters?

Cause They are....lol
    EDIT
    Annnnnyway I don't remember seeing ANYONE on this board lamenting the loss of Ultimate Magnetos Holocaust heritage
    Last edited by BroHomo; 09-16-2019 at 02:10 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Also 1970s was the beginning. from 1970s till now, they have created more POCs.
    Like... Bishop? Kwannon? Trinary? Cecilia Reyes? Darwin?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Then make another character who is a survivor of the Rwandan genocide. They could always say Magneto stayed young because he uses his powers to protect his cells from oxidative damage.
    And again, I hate that type of writing that exists solely to preserve a sliding time scale, that idea you put forward just sucks, why does his powers make him immortal and not say Storm.

I hate those BS tropes meant to maintain a sliding time scale, they are hardly well written on their own. Frankly the regular MU has way too many WWII relics in it, I am glad that number is way smaller in the MCU.

So I think idea is terrible, I do not want see it on film. I rather they update his origin, rather then rely on these terrible ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    And again, I hate that type of writing that exists solely to preserve a sliding time scale, that idea you put forward just sucks, why does his powers make him immortal and not say Storm.

I hate those BS tropes meant to maintain a sliding time scale, they are hardly well written on their own. Frankly the regular MU has way too many WWII relics in it, I am glad that number is way smaller in the MCU.

So I think idea is terrible, I do not want see it on film. I rather they update his origin, rather then rely on these terrible ideas.
    Politely, this feels kinda like...

"Grow Wings/Looks Like Kurt? Makes Perfects Sense."

"Some Members Of This Same Group Might Be Aging More Slowly? Whoa, Let's Not Get Carried Away."

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Annnnnyway I don't remember seeing ANYONE on this board lamenting the loss of Ultimate Magnetos Holocaust heritage
    I recall asking a few times for people to explain what exactly doesn’t work about Magneto’s Ultimate characterization, and all I recurved was loose “he was bad” opinions.

So while yes, the Holocaust gives the Marvel Universe’ Magneto a rich and complicated history, “Magneto” is primarily a mutable role in the X-Men franchise. The X-Men franchise is not necessarily beholden to any one universe, be it comics, television, film, games, etc. Changes can, will, and do happen.

That all said, I’d prefer Magneto dead or mysteriously missing in the context of MCU films.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely, this feels kinda like...

"Grow Wings/Looks Like Kurt? Makes Perfects Sense."

"Some Members Of This Same Group Might Be Aging More Slowly? Whoa, Let's Not Get Carried Away."
    And what does Magneto being immortal and to the character, would he be the same character if he is immortal?

You can't just say "its comics" to justify anything, why is making Magneto compelling in of itself?

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    And what does Magneto being immortal and to the character, would he be the same character if he is immortal?

You can't just say "its comics" to justify anything, why is making Magneto compelling in of itself?
    A mutant aging at a slower rate wouldn't make them immortal any more than having wings would mean that they must have a beak.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I voted "No" in the poll, but, as I put in another thread...

Truth told, I'm not sure the MCU should use Magneto at all. Don't get me wrong: I adore the character, but changing his origin like that (regardless of necessity) is just gonna piss people off. I think the MCU X-Men could easily use Exodus (or someone similar) to maintain the Magneto role while avoiding the potential confusion an altered Magneto origin would bring to the general audience. At this point, I think Magneto's origin is as entrenched in the mainstream as it is in the comics.

If you're looking to have a villain that has a similarly close relationship to Xavier, integrate the Juggernaut more into the franchise and play up how unstoppable the guy can be. He was fun as can be in Deapdool, but I'd love to see him go against an entire X-Men lineup.

Back to Magneto, I honestly don't think the MCU could give us a better Magneto than either McKellen or Fassbender. Say what you will about the franchise overall, but those two were basically perfect as Magneto.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

As BroHomo said, urbandictionary is a terrible source for anything.

And again, I will reiterate this is some racist shit. Black people dont even use the fucking term street cred, but you have you have to be from an "urban" environment to use it.

That word would have never been used if we were talking about white characters.

Your name is Terrance, so I guess the next thing you're going to say is well, I'm Black, but I'm going to tell you, this shit is fucking unacceptable.

You talking in circlea... I dont have to know the history of Blackexploitaition to call you on your racist terminology.

Jesus.