186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    I’m actually don’t want to see Charlie and Eric playing a big role in the new films, let the other mutants shine. Storm and Bishop for example.
    Here is the problem though. You honestly think Marvel won't milk a black Magneto for all they can? Ahem... Samuel L. Jackson's tokenized Nick Fury is screaming as a point of reference. Just like his Nick Fury was used as a tool for "street cred" for Captain Marvel with the backing of a "hip" black male for a white woman to play off of to further endear her to a black audience, while minimalizing black women in the process. A black Magneto would be used to bring the same sense of street cred to the black mutant cause when he rightfully should sit still and be quiet on that front. Any agency that should be afforded to a Storm, Bishop, Monet or Sunspot will be undoubtedly given to nuMagneto. Anyone that believes otherwise is kidding themselves. And dare I say isnt the champion for black mutant representation that they think they are imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Um, people have been complaining about Jesus being depicted as white for quite some time now.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Push the black mutants we already have and create more.
    I have been comic fan 30 plus years, Guess how long I have been hearing just push create or push the characters that they have around. If that what was happening then it would be a solution this would not even be a thread. But clearly the industry sucks as supporting new characters and they always fall back on the older characters. The only way to break the cycle and have meaningful character seems to be racebending at times. We can wait until some characters finally become "accepted iconic characters" like Black Panther, Storm, Luke Cage, etc but once again where is the Asian or Latino male character who is on the same level as Storm, Where is the East Asian or First Nation Character female character on the level of Black Panther. Then consider Storm recent treatment in comics and movies and remember she legit at times was in top ten most popular comic characters.

Saying just create a new character/push a previous character when you know what will happen feels like a trap when we know the standard favors tradition over newer characters. And of the maybe thirty-something legit popular characters in X-men franchise, only about 7 to 8 1/2 are racial minorities(Storm, Bishop, Forge, Sunspot, Moonstar, Karma, Jubliee, M and Psylocke) and it is fight against 30 or so other characters to be used. Just use good minorities we have often turns into Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Beast, Rogue or Kitty, and let's stick on token Black character(Storm) and another minority. Good luck beating tradition. We know Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey or Iron Man, Thor, Cap or Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman or the Lighting Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy are going be to use and used with meaningful time and roles. How did it go for Storm again at Fox? When Avengers in 2012 was made what was the roster? When Justice League with "forced diversity" Aquaman and Cyborg was made in 2017 what would be the roster without the diversity push? Without some serious effort to be diverse what do think will be the roster for the X-men? When Rosenberg got to pick a squad of 10 X-men how did it look? Remind me again who was the original roster for recent X-men Gold and Blue? What about Morrison X-men? What about Whedon's X-men? What is giving people the confidence to think they will use new characters that they have over the old traditional favs. We have seen the same repetitive actions but expect different results? Racebending isn't the long term answer but it certainly puts the idea in air that minority character should get primary focus roles.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Yet it didn't cheapen the characters like Cleopatra when she was essentially made white. No one is complaining that Jesus was race bended to appear lighter with blue eyes. So why now is it such garbage and a travesty?
    Eh? Cleopatra was basically Greek. Obviously thereís xenophobia within Europe, but I donít see anyone saying Greeks are not white.

Fantastic Member

I'm not taking away from the idea to fall back on nostalgia and the characters people are most familiar with. I understand that most people think of Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Rogue, Gambit, Kitty, Storm... then Bishop. They've been pushed so long as the mainstays that many will complain that they don't feel like the X-books. I get it. It doesn't help that we keep getting fed stories that are dressed up to fit white faces. One thing I both like and kinda hate is the idea of Krakoa. The struggle to get a mutant nation under foot isn't what has me annoyed. It's the fact that once again the white mutants again are at the forefront pushing the narrative.

Before the new Krakoa set up, we had Jean Grey mingling with the UN to put mutants on the map in a really significant way. Before that, we had Cyclops and his push for the mutant nation of Utopia and how poorly thought out that was. And even before that, a major black mutant was chosen to become the other half to the throne of Wakanda. She even had a solo where she decided that she would live her life to the fullest and fill every role she decided she wanted to play. Instead of following her natural story progression and exploring new ways in which this mutant queen can now provide never before seen political power to the mutant cause, we were given storylines where she was reluctant to use her newfound political clout. Not that she wasn't shown trying to flex in the BP books. Where was that push for her in the X-books?

No. We have Cyclops as the King of Mutants while an actual mutant queen with a nation behind her staying silent and falling in line with the white mutant majority. And instead of a queen imploring the UN to take matters of mutant genocide a real hot button issue, we are given a story about Jean Grey at the UN, in Wakanda and Atlantis. All of these places lend themselves to the mutant queen of Wakanda much more than the two white mutant stand-ins that got the books cancelled the first go round. But, here, I'm expected to believe that race-bending Magneto is somehow the answer to actual diversity when the X-books can't be bothered to use the black mutants they have in any meaningful way.

Above all else the most basic reason I have to be vehemently against this proposed absurdity is if I'm okay with the Magneto fiasco, then I don't have a leg to stand on if someone decided to race-bend Storm or one of her parents effectively removing her blackness. I would hit three roofs if someone decided to race-bend T'Challa and I wouldn't have kind words for the people trying to convince of that its meaningless.

Yet it didn't cheapen the characters like Cleopatra when she was essentially made white.
    Uh dude, it might be a good idea to do some Googling because Cleopatra was a white person.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I have been comic fan 30 plus years, Guess how long I have been hearing just push create or push the characters that they have around. If that what was happening then it would be a solution this would not even be a thread. But clearly the industry sucks as supporting new characters and they always fall back on the older characters. The only way to break the cycle and have meaningful character seems to be racebending at times. We can wait until some characters finally become "accepted iconic characters" like Black Panther, Storm, Luke Cage, etc but once again where is the Asian or Latino male character who is on the same level as Storm, Where is the East Asian or First Nation Character female character on the level of Black Panther. Then consider Storm recent treatment in comics and movies and remember she legit at times was in top ten most popular comic characters.

Saying just create a new character/push a previous character when you know what will happen feels like a trap when we know the standard favors tradition over newer characters. And of the maybe thirty-something legit popular characters in X-men franchise, only about 7 to 8 1/2 are racial minorities(Storm, Bishop, Forge, Sunspot, Moonstar, Karma, Jubliee, M and Psylocke) and it is fight against 30 or so other characters to be used. Just use good minorities we have often turns into Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Beast, Rogue or Kitty, and let's stick on token Black character(Storm) and another minority. Good luck beating tradition. We know Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey or Iron Man, Thor, Cap or Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman or the Lighting Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy are going be to use and used with meaningful time and roles. How did it go for Storm again at Fox? When Avengers in 2012 was made what was the roster? When Justice League with "forced diversity" Aquaman and Cyborg was made in 2017 what would be the roster without the diversity push? Without some serious effort to be diverse what do think will be the roster for the X-men? When Rosenberg got to pick a squad of 10 X-men how did it look? Remind me again who was the original roster for recent X-men Gold and Blue? What about Morrison X-men? What about Whedon's X-men? What is giving people the confidence to think they will use new characters that they have over the old traditional favs. We have seen the same repetitive actions but expect different results? Racebending isn't the long term answer but it certainly puts the idea in air that minority character should get primary focus roles.
    Kinda seems like it would be different in the MCU. The movies seem to be able to make whoever they want a star. I mean even as a dedicated comics fan I couldn't have told you much about star lord, rocket or groot 10 years ago and now a tree and a racoon are household names and fan favorite characters. Not sure how many people knew who Killmonger, Okoye or Shuri were and now they are incredibly well known. Ant-man can barely hold a solo comic but has had two half a billion plus movies. Captain Marvel has had around 6 or 7 comic relaunches due to low sales and yet she had a billion dollar movie. If the mcu decides that Bishop, Storm, Sunfire, Sunspot and Monet are the X-men they want to put in the focus everything the MCU has done so far says they will be successful.
    Last edited by regg215; 09-15-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Favorite Characters

Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman,Thor(Odinson), James Bond, Darth Vader, Wolverine, Daredevil ,Elektra, Spider-Man, Superman, Green Arrow, Black Canary

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Kinda seems like it would be different in the MCU. The movies seem to be able to make whoever they want a star. I mean even as a dedicated comics fan I couldn't have told you much about star lord, rocket or groot 10 years ago and now a tree and a racoon are household names and fan favorite characters. Not sure how many people knew who Killmonger, Okoye or Shuri were and now they are incredibly well known. Ant-man can barely hold a solo comic but has had two half a billion plus movies. Captain Marvel has had around 6 or 7 comic relaunches due to low sales and yet she had a billion dollar movie. If the mcu decides that Bishop, Storm, Sunfire, Sunspot and Monet are the X-men they want to put in the focus everything the MCU has done so far says they will be successful.
    Posted this once in another thread besides being funny it's also a quite true.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Maybe time for a black Xavier instead?
    I could get behind it. Colin Salmon or Lance Reddick as Xavier would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Because, There's a need for it?
    I'd argue that a gay supervillain like Magneto would be more problematic than changing his race
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Probably because for most of the earliest X-Men runs, the series is so campy you can pitch a tent and roast marshmallows next to it.
    Reeal nice
    We also can't act like the audience doesn't play a role in this too. When you have historical asian figures and egyptian figures and other characters where the story is even taking place in their country/time period being played by white actors and the audience doesn't seem to have a problem. Why should someone take it as valid now when that same audience is getting upset over when it happens in fiction and trying to make it sound as though that is important to the integrity of the character. There are a lot of elements at play in a situation like this. And people aren't wrong to say well it's been happening for years, Why do you have a problem now.
    lol I knooow right???!! lol People ignoring or didnt like the discussion about the whitewashing in New Mutants are now bending over backwards for reasons that justify their dislike of thŪs idea
    LolŮ
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Its the best way to do it, its the only way do it that would not draw unnecessary backlash. why change the races when you have many minorities already like Bishop, Monet, Sunfire.

Killerbee already explained this but ....look again
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You say this as if that won't lead to same type of complaints "Why are they using these no names characters instead my classic favorites" they are pushing these characters forward for diversity. It is no win argument that leaves stuff without being diverse. Also every case is not the same thing a Magneto change is just a change to change for diversity ,People are strongly attached to Holocaust background they can't see Magneto without it. And pushing that comic character forward into MCU might impossible. Mutants origins might be a recent thing in the world post snap and if you can't tell tragic backstory of Magneto which people have come expect then tying him to a different tragedy might be option. Magneto is specific case of where you might not be able tell the most popular story so then other options now become viable.

Last yeah there is a generally a difference between some white characters and minorities in comics. Minorities characters a large amount of them as big thing race/culture is factor to the character story, It didn't take them years to flesh out a back story like Cap America being Irish,Batman being of Scottish descent or Magneto being Jewish. Most minorities characters were created for express purpose because they had no character around that look like them and they have heavily have culture and race as part of their story. Does anyone know what Cyclops racial/cultural background is? Jean? Iceman? Beast? Angel? On flip side what is Bishop or Storm racial/cultural background? Does Cyclops have stories dealing with his race? I can't think of one. Does Storm have specific stories about her race and its effect on her life? Yes. When you first meet Synch he is surrounded by cops and his race is factor to the story. The White X-men from other countries have their background and race touched upon in this way. But white american character tend to be generically vague with their background and culture making change an easy option. Magneto is not a case of that his race is very big component for character but once again this specific situation where that background can't be told and setting is different. One of the options because of that is maybe to use him as different minority background.
    This post is everything!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Magnetoís history is equally specific regarding him being a white Jew who survived the Holocaust. Itís kind of a huge part of who he is as a character, what drives him and what makes him a sympathetic villain. I never understand how these arguments only seem to work one way
    errrr Not this one...
    UltMagneto.jpg
    And no one said Boo about it
    GrindrStone(D)

Sad, it's 2019 and all this is still a problem. So much for progress.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

xmen is one of the most progressive comic series. So there is no need to change anyone's race.
    The most progressive part of X-Men is a metaphor that has mostly white, cisgender-heterosexual ppl taking up the struggle of real-world minorities. What about that doesn’t need changing?

It's a bad stereotype. Remember Eminem, Justin Timberlake, white guys with street cred? Not all black people care about street cred. Also street cred is not a black thing exclusively., Steven Tyler sang about it.
    Marshall Bruce Mathers the Third and Justin Randall Timberlake. Two people (arguably just one of these two) that have leeched off of black culture. Uh. Interesting examples.

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The most progressive part of X-Men is a metaphor that has mostly white, cisgender-heterosexual ppl taking up the struggle of real-world minorities. What about that doesn’t need changing?

Marshall Bruce Mathers the Third and Justin Randall Timberlake. Two people (arguably just one of these two) that have leeched off of black culture. Uh. Interesting examples.
    Should the X-Men just be "Minoriteam"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoriteam
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The most progressive part of X-Men is a metaphor that has mostly white, .
    1970s X-Men evolved from that, among one of Claremont's groundbreaking achievements

What about that doesn’t need changing?
    Nothing. keep the characters as they are, especially for xmen, the series has a lot of stories and drama. You don't need to change anything to get any attention.

They did not leach of black culture, they had to earn their street credibility in black culture.

Leaching of black culture is when you are a white rock artist who doesn't want to admit black people created rock and roll.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-15-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Give me Pixie in the MCU you cowards.

xmen is one of the most progressive comic series. So there is no need to change anyone's race. Also we don't need the baggage where Disney would now use it as a tool to destroy any valid criticism of one their hollow products, which will make the movie less credible. I am saying this based on the Star Wars and Captain Marvel experience.

I think this is bigger than progress though , this is just another yes, yes, yes to anything MCU does without taking into account the series, the poll numbers don't lie. As I said the news is everywhere and the reaction so far is mostly negative.
    3an38v.jpg

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)