186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Jean Grey as a green eyed, red haired Black girl? Wtf
    Her eyes are hardly essential to her character brand. Her hair though, thats somewhat important. And we’ve seen at least one black mutant with unusual hair color.

all this worry that “ww2 is essential to magneto and must stay” has been dispelled already by other mcu adaptations.

Mcu has made some pretty big changes and the movies and stories have gone well. Just because it’s integral to comic smangeto doesn’t mean it has to integral to movie magneto. Admitting that you want it to be a part of his mcu origin
    Is one thing- that’s a preference and that’s fine. But to act like it’s essential is really short sighted.

Mcu origins are a clean slate for mutants. Anything can be different - if it’s done well and has the same impact I just don’t seehe issue.

Sorry for bad typing. Tiny screen.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar

SF.jpg

????
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    all this worry that “ww2 is essential to magneto and must stay” has been dispelled already by other mcu adaptations.

Mcu has made some pretty big changes and the movies and stories have gone well. Just because it’s integral to comic smangeto doesn’t mean it has to integral to movie magneto. Admitting that you want it to be a part of his mcu origin
    Is one thing- that’s a preference and that’s fine. But to act like it’s essential is really short sighted.

Mcu origins are a clean slate for mutants. Anything can be different - if it’s done well and has the same impact I just don’t seehe issue.

Sorry for bad typing. Tiny screen.
    The issue is that the holocaust is dramatically different from every other mass killing in human history. You can't just swap it for Stalin's executions in Soviet Russia or Pol Pot's cullings in Cambodia. Treating mass killings as interchangeable is dangerous.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The issue is that the holocaust is dramatically different from every other mass killing in human history. You can't just swap it for Stalin's executions in Soviet Russia or Pol Pot's cullings in Cambodia. Treating mass killings as interchangeable is dangerous.
    Who said it has to be a mass killing at all?

There are a ton of other ways to instill the same belief system in magneto. Many being completely fictional.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

There are a ton of other ways to instill the same belief system in magneto. Many being completely fictional.
    Then why have it be Magneto if you're changing the number one thing about him? Why not use a different villain?

Everything he does is shaped by watching the government round up and kill his friends and families while civilians just watched, or worse helped. There is nothing to remotely compare that to.

It would be having Jean, but she's a normal brunette who just happens to get involved with the X-Men.

Eye and hair color aren't exactly essential character traits.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Eye and hair color aren't exactly essential character traits.
    Her hair is essential to me, but her skin and eye colors are not
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    SF.jpg

????
    Yeah, something like this could look good
    My opinions are my own
    Sometimes I can express negative opinions about certain topics but It is never my intention to offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Her hair is essential to me, but her skin and eye colors are not
    Well, I agree, but it's essential iconography, not a personality trait.

But, obviously, it's no problem at all to give a black woman read hair, whether it's part of Jean's mutation or just a personal styling choice of her's...

For all the things the MCU changed, they didn't try to take Captain America's origin out of WWII.

Fantastic Member Stormultt Divine's Avatar

I hope this means Jewish when they say 'person of color' cause..
    Yeah.

Whoopi Goldberg would be a great Magneto.

That's a lot of discussion over something that's not even know to be true in the first place and not even worth the controversy in the first place. Black Magneto in the movies is a perfectly valid change for an adaptation.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    By not adapting it.
    It could be, Disney has been adapting less marvel comics over the years and more original Disney stories.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    If the movie going public does not care what race the characters were in the comic, they don't care about anyone's missing favorites either.

What people will probably care about is marketing, though. It was probably not a big deal to switch Nick Fury, but there is a lot more merchandise that is harder to profit from when people are confused about who they are buying.
    Nick Fury was already black in the ultimate marvel 2000 comics series. In a good twist of fate, the character in that series was based of Sam L Jackson, so talk of destiny when Sam l Jackson actually got to play him in 2008 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think Xavier is the easiest one to cast with any type of person of color because he's all peace and coexistance so it will be non-threatening to the public image of that race.
    I don't think they should change Xavier's race either though. Although I think if Magneto is black, Xavier would have to be black too to avoid any white savior trope. Also a white man lecturing a black man about racism would not be 100% convincing.

Fox made this mistake with Fantastic 4 2015. They should have made both Sue and Johnny Storm black.

You talk about this community of marvel fans as if were all toxic, and cant handle civil conversation. that simply is not true. there are fans who dislike movies such as captain marvel and black panther for unfair, discriminatory reasons that stem from bigotry. But there are not that many of them. There are fans out there who will defend Captain Marvel and Black Panther tooth and nail, calling anyone who speaks against those films racist and sexist. This overcorrection is not healthy or intelligent either. Thing is, there are not that many fans who fit this description either. The reality of the situation is that the far-right and far-left in the fan base are toxic, but they are greatly outnumbered by those of us who like the movies for what they are within the universe, not the political agenda they do or do not serve in the real world. This is a world of superheroes, not Fox News or CNN. I believe that a characters race and/or gender should not be tampered with IF that hero's character is strongly influenced by their racial or sexual identity. A character like Magneto has an identity as a holocaust survivor, a jewish kid. making him black would not add or detract from that. Therefore, unless you cast an African-American actor who is leagues above all other actors in the running for the role, please make him look comic book accurate. Someone like wolverine however, I would like to add, could be black or indian or Native-American and it wouldn't really matter. His racial identity simply is not important so cast whoever is best for the role, regardless of skin color.
    Did not generalize an entire fanbase. it was my bad experience with some people in a fanbase I was referring too.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Run away, Jean, you're next!
    Keep Jean a white red haired girl.

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    I'm not sure the MCU x-men need much Magneto or Xavier after Fox focused so much on them.
    Disney should ditch them and give other characters the spotlight
    95% Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is dumb and would prove that they care more about pandering than adapting the source material. Neither Xavier nor Magneto should be changed or any character for that matter. If you desperately want non-white characters for the movies to be centered around, nobody would object to using the many characters that have always been non-white. So long as it’s a good character, it won’t matter. If they want to make the lead character Storm or Jubilee, then go for it. Also it really is weird that Ashkenazi Jews are being sort of having their historic plights being ignored in the modern era despite record antisemitic attacks occurring all over the world to them.

This has to be a joke.

In X-Men TAS Storm and Jubilee were already some of the big highlights of the show. the show was quite diverse . storm, jubilee, rogue was a southern girl with a thick accent, Gambit was cajun, Wolverine was from Canada, Xavier was disabled, Magneto was a Jew and during their adventures they got to meet different people from many cultures and backgrounds. I remember the Nightcrawler episode when they go to Germany.

Diversity is sort of superficially overblown in 2019, we were already doing it a lot in the 90s and have gotten better over the years. how some people want to rewrite history just to turn a series and franchise upside down feels wrong to me.

Fantastic Member

And we should cast Amanda Seyfried as Storm and Scott Eastwood as Bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And we should cast Amanda Seyfried as Storm and Scott Eastwood as Bishop.
    Scott Eastwood wants to play Wolverine.
    https://www.ctvscifi.ca/scott-eastwo...yne-wolverine/