Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member stormphoenix's Avatar

Just leave Magneto's Ethnicity alone......don't touch it don't tweak it. Just leave it alone.

If you want diversity then let's focus on other Black Character's, but please there's no reason to tamper with another character Ethnic Background. Just Leave it alone.
    #StormsMootyPass
    #PlusUltra!!!
    Ororo Munroe(Bright Lady), Hadari Yao, The Cloud Runner, Goddess of the People.
    Goddess of the Storm Ororo Munroe
    #StormCaster
    The Piercing Light of AmunRa!!!!!

I have no problem with racebending, however, if it's going to be done it cannot be done lazily. You have to respect the ethnicity and race that you are bending the character towards. The odds of a black male being called Max Eisenhardt, for example, is very slim meaning, in that case, Magneto would either have to be adopted, biracial, or have a complete name change matching someone with African heritage (either ADOS or African immigrant). Simply changing his race and making him a black Jewish writes as pandering.

Same with other characters, if you're going to make Jean Grey black for example, its intellectually dishonest and lazy to make a black person with red-hair and green eyes. Either you make her dark-eyed and dark-haired or you leave her white.

BANNED

What would someone whose only exposure to the X-Men was through the MCU -- a universe where Magneto and Nick Fury were black men think when he/she discovers that both men have been white since the 1960s in the comic books?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    What would someone whose only exposure to the X-Men was through the MCU -- a universe where Magneto and Nick Fury were black men think when he/she discovers that both men have been white since the 1960s in the comic books?
    Marvel comics will probably introduce magneto jr. & classic magneto will disappear.
    "...For you to die you would have to be forgotten and no one forgets a founder of a nation..."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Marvel comics will probably introduce magneto jr. & classic magneto will disappear.
    LL! And, make Ororo Junior's mother...

They can make Magneto black if they can make a black character white.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I propose that we make Doctor Doom black. Let’s see where you draw the line.

Fantastic Member

I think it also very interesting that many on the X-boards appeared to be quite offended by Asian Betsy Braddock. One could almost choke on that irony.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    So a mutant with an Ashkenazi father and a Maasai mother would be... ?
    Unrecognizable as Magneto and the stick that anti-progressives and bigots will beat us with. There is a long history of Jewish and black peoples working together to defend the civil rights of all. But you folks want to take away one of the more prominent Jewish characters in a misguided effort to increase diversity. But you wonít. At best, itís a lateral. At worst, it generates resentment. I want good black characters. I donít need good characters to be color swapped to achieve this. Technically we already had black Magneto in Killmonger. Rehash isnít necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I think it also very interesting that many on the X-boards appeared to be quite offended by Asian Betsy Braddock. One could almost choke on that irony.
    We didn't like Asian Betsy's story. We suggested alternative stories for Betsy in film. Similarly, we're discussing alternative stories for Magneto in film presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Unrecognizable as Magneto and the stick that anti-progressives and bigots will beat us with. There is a long history of Jewish and black peoples working together to defend the civil rights of all. But you folks want to take away one of the more prominent Jewish characters in a misguided effort to increase diversity. But you won’t. At best, it’s a lateral. At worst, it generates resentment. I want good black characters. I don’t need good characters to be color swapped to achieve this. Technically we already had black Magneto in Killmonger. Rehash isn’t necessary.
    Histrionics aside, I was merely curious. I'm Grand Designing in another thread and I'm inserting Ororo and N'Dare into the Anya and Magda positions. For the record, I'm in favor of a second generation Survivor Ukrainian backstory. I forget the poster that came up with it, but it works.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 09-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Spectacular Member

My opinion is that there are other ways to make magneto and Xavier more contemporary without the race bending and just introduce a couple of new black mutants In the x-men within the next year in the comics and then put them in the movies !! Magneto could be a jew with his family caught up in the ethnic cleansing in former Yugoslavia in the 1990’s and voila, now you have the same magneto with even the same name yet still not a 90 year old grandpa

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    I knew this type of thinking would undoubtedly rear its head. White people cannot have Storm so they can keep Magneto as the white male power fantasy that he's always been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Unrecognizable as Magneto and the stick that anti-progressives and bigots will beat us with. There is a long history of Jewish and black peoples working together to defend the civil rights of all. But you folks want to take away one of the more prominent Jewish characters in a misguided effort to increase diversity. But you wonít. At best, itís a lateral. At worst, it generates resentment. I want good black characters. I donít need good characters to be color swapped to achieve this. Technically we already had black Magneto in Killmonger. Rehash isnít necessary.
    Can you say all of this again for the gay black liberals in the back with a twisted sense of what it means to thoughtfully represented. When I tried to do so while showing how their beloved Democrats pull the wool over their heads the whole time, I was called a fake black person, a racist and a Republican. The saddest part is that I'm neither Republican or Democrat and that sort of thinking that would suggest I as a self aware black Male am only afforded two options, both of which offer a big screw me from both ends. I mean the thought that if you criticize the Democrats you absolutely have to be Republican...

https://youtu.be/ZjS0ZVa8oyI

The good brotha Malcolm would be rolling in his grave if he knew some minds were still colonized in this way. I won't even say what Killmonger would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    Magneto could be a jew with his family caught up in the ethnic cleansing in former Yugoslavia in the 1990’s and voila, now you have the same magneto with even the same name yet still not a 90 year old grandpa
    I don't want to minimize any ethnic cleansing, but the persecution of Jew in Europe was centuries of discrimination followed by an organized campaign of eradication on a level never seen before. Magneto growing up in that culture and being deemed a subhuman Untermensch exposed him to the idea of a conflict between different classifications of humans where living in harmony isn't an option.

The Bosnian genocide was one native ethnic group trying to eliminate another native ethnic group. What's different with Ashkenazi Jews (and also Roma) is that they were immigrants. They were the Jewish diaspora driven from their ancestral lands and then driven out of many areas of Europe and who kept having to try to find some place in Europe where they could live. My relatives killed in the Holocaust were in an area between Ukraine and Romania called Bukovina. When the Nazi arrives, some of the native Romanians pointed out the Jews. They saw them as outsiders - the same way mutants are viewed.

There is a correlation that the same could happen with mutants where a few outsiders are persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Yeah, that was one minefield that I think Marvel should be commended for finding a way to take out the yellow face element (which I will give the benefit of the doubt was not intended with malice, but still offensive) while still having a recognizable Psylocke for the fans.

Agree with the irony, given the turn this thread has taken.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Yes they can make a black a character white, Fiction when revamping or introducing a product to a new market has a chance to put a fresh spin on product and correct flaws. Or in case of comics stream line and condensed long history in one cohesive story and you the very version of things even the alternate stories. You can reimagine a story and black character can be white but here is the thing characters are being changed from white to other races because they are not ENOUGH minorities characters being used. It is defeat point changing a minority because

A. There is a history of that happening anyways you can look at this article for a small example

B. As mentioned before that is defeating the point. A simple example they are bunch of white flash. Changing Wally to black still leaves Barry West, Jay Garrick, Impulse,etc. Changing Storm for example removes maybe only prominent Black Woman in character in comics.

But Magneto is a minority and changing him takes away one less minority as mentioned above. Yes that true and they probably shouldn't Magneto but reasoning behind of changing Magneto is that his strong story is based a real event. Magneto has a justifiable rage and level of sympathy for him because of it. It was what turned him from the cheesy I am going to take over the world generic 60s villain to the more nuanced antihero antagonist. More than even his race going through that event is what shaped Magneto we know. In bring Magneto forward you might not be able to tell that story the same way. Thats is where the option to change him becomes a thing you use a similar real world tragedy to create his origin today but that might mean changing his background. That is not the only option you can do for Magneto but it is an option. Yes they can use a fictional event and he doesn't change, Yes he can extend longevity like Wolverine and he doesn't change, Yes you can just remove the Holocaust directly effecting and he remains basically the same. But one of the options to consider is PoC with a similar event.

Maybe one of these day we reach a point where everyone comfortable has characters and heroes that represent them. Then guess what race bending in fiction is not a big deal because it has never been a big deal there is a movie with a Black Dracula, There is a show with Asian Sherlock Holmes, There is a Black Samoan Hercules, There are stuff with Greek Gods of different races. And for the most part people don't care because people aren't possessive over old fiction. I can't speak for everyone but I don't care if black character is changed to white but there is caveat to that which is there other good representation around. If you are give me 4 or 5 characters with quality of Storm or Miles Morales. I don't care if you change with Storm, well actually I do but it would be at lot easier to take with quality characters around. They probably shouldn't change Magneto but if they did I get the reasoning behind of it.