View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

    38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

    148 79.57%
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 667
  1. #301
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    8,740

    Default

    Hey if you can get Denzel, you get Denzel.

  2. #302
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Question why do people just all assume 99% of black people are okay with race bending white characters?
    This sounds like a yankee problem tbh.
    "Cable was right!"

  3. #303
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Lol posting a Urban dictionary definition of Street cred... that's been made up by a someone calling themselves white Jesus is hilarious and The opposite of Street cred Not sure what we have to wake to the whining of a buncha hypocrites? It's like high school all over again

    Cause They are....lol
    EDIT
    Annnnnyway I don't remember seeing ANYONE on this board lamenting the loss of Ultimate Magnetos Holocaust heritage
    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    As BroHomo said, urbandictionary is a terrible source for anything.

    And again, I will reiterate this is some racist shit. Black people dont even use the fucking term street cred, but you have you have to be from an "urban" environment to use it.

    That word would have never been used if we were talking about white characters.

    Your name is Terrance, so I guess the next thing you're going to say is well, I'm Black, but I'm going to tell you, this shit is fucking unacceptable.

    You talking in circlea... I dont have to know the history of Blackexploitaition to call you on your racist terminology.

    Jesus.
    I’d laugh, but only to keep from crying. Both of you are clearly upset, but I don’t blame you. You jumped right to anger because of the terminology instead of understanding why those words invoke those feelings at all. Street cred is a term that both blacks and whites have a fundamental difference of understanding. Samuel L. Jackson was the “street cred” in the first Avengers movie. Why else was black Nick Fury used in a movie devoid of any minority protagonists? The all white Avengers needed some black energy as a hood pass. Did I as a black gay man really have to explain the context of my argument to two (I’m assuming) black gay men?
    I could be wrong. I pray to Hadari Yao that Im wrong.

    Anyway, white people and their sensibilities were left intact knowing the white supremacy on display was offset by black uncle Samuel L. Jackson to give us some cool black male energy. I could also be wrong on this, but did James Rhodes make an appearance at all in the first Avengers? I’ll wait on that...

    To the real meat of why I'm personally in disagreement with this change:

    1) Magneto is well established in the zeitgeist. We know who he is. Ian and Michael have cemented his iconic status FOREVER. He does not need more focus. His legacy is intact.

    2) Making him black now compounds his meaning. That would be all fine and good if it did NOT take that avenue that rightfully belongs to all the black mutants that don’t get THAT story told for them in the X-men? Storm’s intersectionality never plays part in her specific voice with the X-men. Bishop’s intersectionality never get brought up. Monet’s Isn’t and her voice doesn’t have THAT unique aspect to it. I could go on, but I’m hoping you and everyone else understands this.

    We already know about the special ways in which Magneto’s intersectionality informs HIS CHARACTER AND VOICE. Why on earth would black people seriously take a tokenized Magneto that will be undoubtedly be set up to take the voice and narrative of the black characters THAT ARE ALREADY DRASTICALLY AND CRIMINALLY UNDERREPRESENTED? I want Storm’s voice to be the first heard when it comes to black female mutants. I want Bishop’s to be the first heard when it comes to black male mutants. PEROIDTTTT. Their characters have EARNED THAT. I’m going to champion THAT with every fiber of my being. And why the fuck wouldn’t I? Like, seriously?

    As my feelings come back to me and my rant winds down, I’m forced to ponder over my use of street cred once more, and I chuckle. When Hillary Clinton trotted out Jay-Z and Beyoncé and still lost, did she use them for “street cred” or did she use them because representation matters? I know white conservatives would answer without hesitation and white liberals would lie. If my point goes over the both of your heads again I’ll know that neither of you should reply to anymore of my posts on this particular subject. Please and thank you kindly. I love you tho.

  4. #304
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I’d laugh, but only to keep from crying. Both of you are clearly upset, but I don’t blame you. You jumped right to anger because of the terminology instead of understanding why those words invoke those feelings at all. Street cred is a term that both blacks and whites have a fundamental difference of understanding. Samuel L. Jackson was the “street cred” in the first Avengers movie. Why else was black Nick Fury used in a movie devoid of any minority protagonists? The all white Avengers needed some black energy as a hood pass. Did I as a black gay man really have to explain the context of my argument to two (I’m assuming) black gay men?
    I could be wrong. I pray to Hadari Yao that Im wrong.

    Anyway, white people and their sensibilities were left intact knowing the white supremacy on display was offset by black uncle Samuel L. Jackson to give us some cool black male energy. I could also be wrong on this, but did James Rhodes make an appearance at all in the first Avengers? I’ll wait on that...

    To the real meat of why I'm personally in disagreement with this change:

    1) Magneto is well established in the zeitgeist. We know who he is. Ian and Michael have cemented his iconic status FOREVER. He does not need more focus. His legacy is intact.

    2) Making him black now compounds his meaning. That would be all fine and good if it did NOT take that avenue that rightfully belongs to all the black mutants that don’t get THAT story told for them in the X-men? Storm’s intersectionality never plays part in her specific voice with the X-men. Bishop’s intersectionality never get brought up. Monet’s Isn’t and her voice doesn’t have THAT unique aspect to it. I could go on, but I’m hoping you and everyone else understands this.

    We already know about the special ways in which Magneto’s intersectionality informs HIS CHARACTER AND VOICE. Why on earth would black people seriously take a tokenized Magneto that will be undoubtedly be set up to take the voice and narrative of the black characters THAT ARE ALREADY DRASTICALLY AND CRIMINALLY UNDERREPRESENTED? I want Storm’s voice to be the first heard when it comes to black female mutants. I want Bishop’s to be the first heard when it comes to black male mutants. PEROIDTTTT. Their characters have EARNED THAT. I’m going to champion THAT with every fiber of my being. And why the fuck wouldn’t I? Like, seriously?

    As my feelings come back to me and my rant winds down, I’m forced to ponder over my use of street cred once more, and I chuckle. When Hillary Clinton trotted out Jay-Z and Beyoncé and still lost, did she use them for “street cred” or did she use them because representation matters? I know white conservatives would answer without hesitation and white liberals would lie. If my point goes over the both of your heads again I’ll know that neither of you should reply to anymore of my posts on this particular subject. Please and thank you kindly. I love you tho.
    I dont even believe you're Black to be honest

    You're just a racist troll and its clear
    Last edited by Armageddon; 09-16-2019 at 07:14 AM.

  5. #305
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    I'm just passing through to remind you black Nick Fury on exists because of Millar's and Hitch's Ultimates and everyone thought it would be a good idea.

    Also Samuel Jackson's Fury appears in Hulk, Iron Man and Cap: 1st Avenger so of course he was gonna be in The Avengers so I don't know why you're trying to pull "they only did it for street cred" rubbish.
    "Cable was right!"

  6. #306
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    You're just a racist troll and its clear
    For real. Wtf do Hillary, Bey and Jay have to do with Blackneto?

  7. #307
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm just passing through to remind you black Nick Fury on exists because of Millar's and Hitch's Ultimates and everyone thought it would be a good idea.

    Also Samuel Jackson's Fury appears in Hulk, Iron Man and Cap: 1st Avenger so of course he was gonna be in The Avengers so I don't know why you're trying to pull "they only did it for street cred" rubbish.
    I remember when this place was a lot more progressive

    Dude above is posting like a Black gay Mr. Moneybags
    No sir, I dont believe you...he needs more people

  8. #308
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm just passing through to remind you black Nick Fury on exists because of Millar's and Hitch's Ultimates and everyone thought it would be a good idea.

    Also Samuel Jackson's Fury appears in Hulk, Iron Man and Cap: 1st Avenger so of course he was gonna be in The Avengers so I don't know why you're trying to pull "they only did it for street cred" rubbish.
    To be fair, I think the Nick Fury race-swap worked for several reasons:
    • Nick Fury isn't defined by any cultural identity. His identity is a spy master, and that's an extremely malleable premise. Removing a Jewish Holocaust survivor's history is going to be an iffy proposition no matter how you go about it
    • While Fury was there in World War II, he wasn't defined by it. He was basically Marvel's Sgt. Rock. Fury didn't really become Nick Muthaf*%&in' FURY until Steranko came along, whose run was rooted not in anything regarding WWII, but rather the '70s spy game genre
    • The Ultimate Universe was made to be different by its nature, so people didn't bat an eye when Fury was changed. Heck, the change was outright embraced when Hitch changed the model to match Samuel L Jackson: when he first showed up in Ultimate X-Men, he was distinctly not based off anyone (much less SLJ)
    • Nick Fury was never really popular enough for people to care enough about the race swap (which is why the idiotic reaction to the Heimdal swap caught me completely by surprise: I mean, who WOULDN'T want Idris Elba in a Thor movie?), and people love them some Samuel L Jackson
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

  9. #309
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    I don't care. I always see the movies as the "earths" of DC
    they arent 616, they are another universe in which things can be very different.

  10. #310
    Spectacular Member Leirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    To be fair, I think the Nick Fury race-swap worked for several reasons:
    • Nick Fury isn't defined by any cultural identity. His identity is a spy master, and that's an extremely malleable premise. Removing a Jewish Holocaust survivor's history is going to be an iffy proposition no matter how you go about it
    • While Fury was there in World War II, he wasn't defined by it. He was basically Marvel's Sgt. Rock. Fury didn't really become Nick Muthaf*%&in' FURY until Steranko came along, whose run was rooted not in anything regarding WWII, but rather the '70s spy game genre
    • The Ultimate Universe was made to be different by its nature, so people didn't bat an eye when Fury was changed. Heck, the change was outright embraced when Hitch changed the model to match Samuel L Jackson: when he first showed up in Ultimate X-Men, he was distinctly not based off anyone (much less SLJ)
    • Nick Fury was never really popular enough for people to care enough about the race swap (which is why the idiotic reaction to the Heimdal swap caught me completely by surprise: I mean, who WOULDN'T want Idris Elba in a Thor movie?), and people love them some Samuel L Jackson
    The Heimdall thing is easy. White supremacists love their norse mythology.

  11. #311
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    To be fair, I think the Nick Fury race-swap worked for several reasons:
    • Nick Fury isn't defined by any cultural identity. His identity is a spy master, and that's an extremely malleable premise. Removing a Jewish Holocaust survivor's history is going to be an iffy proposition no matter how you go about it
    • While Fury was there in World War II, he wasn't defined by it. He was basically Marvel's Sgt. Rock. Fury didn't really become Nick Muthaf*%&in' FURY until Steranko came along, whose run was rooted not in anything regarding WWII, but rather the '70s spy game genre
    • The Ultimate Universe was made to be different by its nature, so people didn't bat an eye when Fury was changed. Heck, the change was outright embraced when Hitch changed the model to match Samuel L Jackson: when he first showed up in Ultimate X-Men, he was distinctly not based off anyone (much less SLJ)
    • Nick Fury was never really popular enough for people to care enough about the race swap (which is why the idiotic reaction to the Heimdal swap caught me completely by surprise: I mean, who WOULDN'T want Idris Elba in a Thor movie?), and people love them some Samuel L Jackson
    Say it louder for those in the back.

  12. #312
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    The Heimdall thing is easy. White supremacists love their norse mythology.
    I thought white supremacists only like weeb stuff.
    "Cable was right!"

  13. #313
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    For real. Wtf do Hillary, Bey and Jay have to do with Blackneto?
    Blackneto. LOL. LAMO

    That is a funny name

    As for Hilary, she was just the typical stereotypical politician who tries to act in a certain way to get a certain ethnic or minority group to vote for them.

    I am glad more people are calling out this laughable accusations that we are racist trolls because we dont think race bending characters is necessary.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-16-2019 at 08:04 AM.

  14. #314
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I’d laugh, but only to keep from crying. Both of you are clearly upset, but I don’t blame you. You jumped right to anger because of the terminology instead of understanding why those words invoke those feelings at all. Street cred is a term that both blacks and whites have a fundamental difference of understanding. Samuel L. Jackson was the “street cred” in the first Avengers movie. Why else was black Nick Fury used in a movie devoid of any minority protagonists? The all white Avengers needed some black energy as a hood pass. Did I as a black gay man really have to explain the context of my argument to two (I’m assuming) black gay men?
    I could be wrong. I pray to Hadari Yao that Im wrong.

    Anyway, white people and their sensibilities were left intact knowing the white supremacy on display was offset by black uncle Samuel L. Jackson to give us some cool black male energy. I could also be wrong on this, but did James Rhodes make an appearance at all in the first Avengers? I’ll wait on that...

    To the real meat of why I'm personally in disagreement with this change:

    1) Magneto is well established in the zeitgeist. We know who he is. Ian and Michael have cemented his iconic status FOREVER. He does not need more focus. His legacy is intact.

    2) Making him black now compounds his meaning. That would be all fine and good if it did NOT take that avenue that rightfully belongs to all the black mutants that don’t get THAT story told for them in the X-men? Storm’s intersectionality never plays part in her specific voice with the X-men. Bishop’s intersectionality never get brought up. Monet’s Isn’t and her voice doesn’t have THAT unique aspect to it. I could go on, but I’m hoping you and everyone else understands this.

    We already know about the special ways in which Magneto’s intersectionality informs HIS CHARACTER AND VOICE. Why on earth would black people seriously take a tokenized Magneto that will be undoubtedly be set up to take the voice and narrative of the black characters THAT ARE ALREADY DRASTICALLY AND CRIMINALLY UNDERREPRESENTED? I want Storm’s voice to be the first heard when it comes to black female mutants. I want Bishop’s to be the first heard when it comes to black male mutants. PEROIDTTTT. Their characters have EARNED THAT. I’m going to champion THAT with every fiber of my being. And why the fuck wouldn’t I? Like, seriously?

    As my feelings come back to me and my rant winds down, I’m forced to ponder over my use of street cred once more, and I chuckle. When Hillary Clinton trotted out Jay-Z and Beyoncé and still lost, did she use them for “street cred” or did she use them because representation matters? I know white conservatives would answer without hesitation and white liberals would lie. If my point goes over the both of your heads again I’ll know that neither of you should reply to anymore of my posts on this particular subject. Please and thank you kindly. I love you tho.
    ok yeah this post says all. The assumption about all black people must stan Jay Z and Beyonce. The lack of awareness that hillary did actually get 3million more votes than ttrump. The Stacy Dash assumption that if it's liberal it must lie but if it's conservative it must be true. Totally makes sense what your views are.

    I just can't take anyone seriously who has a problem with Magneto's ethnicity and try to hide behind pretty words instead of being upfront. If you don't have a problem with conservatives caging people with all their "truth" then theres no way you GAF about Magneto. lol. Good try though.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-16-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  15. #315
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I dont even believe you're Black to be honest

    You're just a racist troll and its clear
    The minute I need you to vouch for my blackness will be the day my grandfather disowns me. I’m dumbfounded that you’re seriously sitting here playing like Samuel L. Jackson wasn’t he diversity hire for the Avengers movies that same way Shipp was in he Fox X-men movies. Am I in the twilight zone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm just passing through to remind you black Nick Fury on exists because of Millar's and Hitch's Ultimates and everyone thought it would be a good idea.

    Also Samuel Jackson's Fury appears in Hulk, Iron Man and Cap: 1st Avenger so of course he was gonna be in The Avengers so I don't know why you're trying to pull "they only did it for street cred" rubbish.
    How does his appearance in Hulk, Ironman or Cap: 1st Avenger ignore his role of offsetting the all white dynamic? Did you actually read what I wrote or what you wanted to see?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    For real. Wtf do Hillary, Bey and Jay have to do with Blackneto?
    Bey and Jay were a reference to show just how white media progressives trot out token black people and many fall for it all the time. The same way Samuel L. Jackson was used for diversity in the first Avengers movie by offsetting the the all white powerful dynamic. The same way Storm is used in the FOX movies and the comics today. The same way a black Magneto will be used. Only thing is black people eat it up for the sake seeing a black face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I remember when this place was a lot more progressive

    Dude above is posting like a Black gay Mr. Moneybags
    No sir, I dont believe you...he needs more people
    You posting like black liberal that feels inclusion in the lgbt movement all the while black trans women are dying at alarming rates and Ed Buck is now a serial murder but he’s free to roam. Tell me again how the lgbt movement is actually for listening to issues about black gay right? Tell me again how feminism is about listening to black women? Until you’re ready to grasp the complexities of this conversation, it’s best you stay silent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •