Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Sometimes the studios themselves do it just so they can gauge reaction before going forward in a direction. It's a smart way to survey something especially in the age of social media. Like a free focus group. Still fun to speculate in some cases like this where it could make sense.
    The following is the only actual quote in the article...

Earlier this year, Feige spoke about representation in the MCU and how he believes it’s the future of the franchise. “So, the notion of representation on screen, in front of and behind the camera, somebody asked me once, so is Black Panther a one-off? I said, no, it’s not a one-off,” Feige told The Wrap. “This is the future. This is the way the world is, and the way, certainly, our studio’s going to be run going forward, because it brings about better stories. The more diverse the group of people making the movie is, the better the stories.”
    The idea that said quote actually points to anything specific(never mind this bit that the article and this thread are on about) is a ways past foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The following is the only actual quote in the article...

The idea that said quote actually points to anything specific(never mind this bit that the article and this thread are on about) is a ways past foolish.
    I don't think anyone is taking it as a fact though. There has been no casting announcements. Sometimes these articles also exist to get a campaign going to get in front of something like this too.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

The big difference there is Storm's history is very specific about her being the daughter of an African American man and a Kenyan Princess. It is also very specific that she comes from an ancient line of African priestesses, Priestesses that are based on real life historical black african figures. So in that case if they wish they can cast a white actress to play a character called Storm but it would not be Storm so it's almost pointless and would be way to much work. A case of going out of your way to change the race of a character. Her entire history would need to be rewritten.
    And don't forget her people in kenya thought she was an African goddess because of her powers, they did not know she was a mutant too. many Africans are very spiritual and believe in higher beings, that was part of storm's character trait. if they make her a white valley girl, a bulk of her African heredity is disposed automatically.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-14-2019 at 06:10 AM.

I don't think anyone is taking it as a fact though. There has been no casting announcements. Sometimes these articles also exist to get a campaign going to get in front of something like this too.
    Or, they exist just to be click bait gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    And don't forget her people in kenya thought she was an African goddess because of her powers, they did not know she was a mutant too. many Africans are very spiritual and belief in higher beings, that was part of storm's charter trait. if they make her a white valley girl, a bulk of her African heredity is disposed automatically.
    Exactly. And that's not to say that there aren't white african's but Storm's origin is extremely specific and detailed.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

The big difference there is Storm's history is very specific about her being the daughter of an African American man and a Kenyan Princess. It is also very specific that she comes from an ancient line of African priestesses, Priestesses that are based on real life historical black african figures. So in that case if they wish they can cast a white actress to play a character called Storm but it would not be Storm so it's almost pointless and would be way to much work. A case of going out of your way to change the race of a character. Her entire history would need to be rewritten.
    Magneto’s history is equally specific regarding him being a white Jew who survived the Holocaust. It’s kind of a huge part of who he is as a character, what drives him and what makes him a sympathetic villain. I never understand how these arguments only seem to work one way. Can’t change a minority character’s race because “that’s core to who he/she is” but if you want to take a “chad white male” and make him POC, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Magneto’s history is equally specific regarding him being a white Jew who survived the Holocaust. It’s kind of a huge part of who he is as a character, what drives him and what makes him a sympathetic villain. I never understand how these arguments only seem to work one way. Can’t change a minority character’s race because “that’s core to who he/she is” but if you want to take a “chad white male” and make him POC, who cares?
    I never said no one cares and no where in his decritoion does it state white Jew anywhere. I understand and sympathize with those genuine people who connect to this characters and feel they get a bad wrap because the vocal ones do present it in questionable way. I don't think it's wrong for a white male to be like I like magneto because of who he is and that he looks like me. And it's unsympathetic to be like well there are plenty other people that look like you out there go connect to one of them. It is inherently unfair especially to younger children who are fans of the comics and have no responsibility for the past but at the end of the day we are a society and everyone does deserve representation so I don't have a problem in cases of fiction where the door is basically wide.open for it. It should always be approached with sympathy but at the end of the day sometimes it is just for the overall best or makes the most sense. This a businesses trying to cast a wide profit not appease people who feel they own their properties so you have to weigh the damage vs. the advantages. Sucks sometimes but that's the world and we all want it to be as equal as possible.

The news is spreading like wildfire.

I know its disney and this shit does not matter but I hope they know it was the performances of Stewart and Mckellen and the writing that made this characters shine well on screen. I see a good story here, I don't see white men first.
    610-stewart-mckellen-x-men-xavier-magneto.jpg

Race swapping does not mean you automatically have something good that only happens when you get your media shills to talk.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On the "Believable" front, I'm not so sure about the Nazis letting a black Jew survive the Holocaust is "More" believable.

Such a person probably would have been way up there on the list of people they intended to wipe out.

Sort of see where you are coming from. Not so sure about doing it not being something of a stretch.
    That’s true but when said child can seemingly control metal with his mind, I don’t think it would be that difficult to claim the Nazis/Hydra felt it was worth keeping him alive long enough to identify the source of his abilities.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I never said no one cares and no where in his decritoion does it state white Jew anywhere. I understand and sympathize with those genuine people who connect to this characters and feel they get a bad wrap because the vocal ones do present it in questionable way. I don't think it's wrong for a white male to be like I like magneto because of who he is and that he looks like me. And it's unsympathetic to be like well there are plenty other people that look like you out there go connect to one of them. It is inherently unfair especially to younger children who are fans of the comics and have no responsibility for the past but at the end of the day we are a society and everyone does deserve representation so I don't have a problem in cases of fiction where the door is basically wide.open for it. It should always be approached with sympathy but at the end of the day sometimes it is just for the overall best or makes the most sense. This a businesses trying to cast a wide profit not appease people who feel they own their properties so you have to weigh the damage vs. the advantages. Sucks sometimes but that's the world and we all want it to be as equal as possible.
    Both characters are very specific in their history and motivations....if it is acceptable to change one of them then it is acceptable to change any of them.

How about we get a chinese guy to play Wolverine and a hispanic to play Colossus while we are at it. We can completely alter their back stories just because.

And then let's see how well that movie does...about as well as any of the FF movies Fox put out.

My point is they should honor the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Both characters are very specific in their history and motivations....if it is acceptable to change one of them then it is acceptable to change any of them.

How about we get a chinese guy to play Wolverine and a hispanic to play Colossus while we are at it. We can completely alter their back stories just because.

And then let's see how well that movie does...about as well as any of the FF movies Fox put out.

My point is they should honor the source material.
    That's cool but to that i would said that it is acknowledged the MCU has it's own continuity and in that continuity Magneto and Wolverine and Colossus don't exist as of yet so if the MCU decides to go into a different direction how can people that are all about continuity be upset when it's not the same. Marvel can easily say we use the origins of characters and adapt them to what is the continuity of the MCU but the continuity is not the same as the comics. You can take Wovlerine story, Colossus story, or Magneto's and they still be based on that character with an actor of a different color but you can't say the same for Storm, it would be a new character with a referenced name. They could go in that direction but it would not look good. There are russian hispanics and asian canadians but there aren't white African American/Kenyan people that are specifically tied to a historical black tribe.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-14-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Fantastic Member

That's cool but to that i would said that it is acknowledged the MCU has it's own continuity and in that continuity Magneto and Wolverine and Colossus don't exist as of yet so if the MCU decides to go into a different direction how can people that are all about continuity be upset when it's not the same. Marvel can easily say we use the origins of characters and adapt them to what is the continuity of the MCU but the continuity is not the same as the comics. You can take Wovlerine story, Colossus story, or Magneto's and they still be based on that character with an actor of a different color but you can't say the same for Storm, it would be a new character with a referenced name. They could go in that direction but it would not look good. There are russian hispanics and asian canadians but there aren't white African American/Kenyan people that are specifically tied to a historical black tribe.
    How about the MCU Storm is Bosnian....she was orphaned when her family was killed in the fighting in the 90s and she wandered the countryside and instead of becoming a "goddess" became a leader in the movement to end the fighting and bring peace. There...I just rewrote her story that mirrors her 616 history.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    How about the MCU Storm is Bosnian....she was orphaned when her family was killed in the fighting in the 90s and she wandered the countryside and instead of becoming a "goddess" became a leader in the movement to end the fighting and bring peace. There...I just rewrote her story that mirrors her 616 history.
    You didn't though you rewrote her whole story. You took away her being a goddess. You took away her connection to the ancient african line of priestesses. And you took away her royal status.

So now we have a bosian character that is just named Ororo/Storm. That is not translating or adapting original source material that is creating a new character using inspiration from an already existing one to create a bosian counterpart.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

"Content creators" thirsty for them clicks!

Can't get enough of 'em!

Oh and you would also have to change her name because it literally says her name is "ororo, which in her native tongue means beauty." So if she doesn't have that connection and was born in Bosnia they would need to find the name equivalent to beauty in that language.