View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Don't know how I feel about a race swapped Magneto given how his ties to the Holocaust has so become integral to the character. But with the right casting and backstory it could work.

More open to a Black Xavier especially if Avery Brooks.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.

BANNED

Has it ever been proven that Erik was born in Israel?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    There was no Israeli State when Erik was born and Erik was Eastern European.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There was no Israeli State when Erik was born and Erik was Eastern European.
    No he is German and his father was a WW1 German soldier. They were forced to live in Poland for awhile, then Poland was overrun.

Many white jews are not born in Israel.

Many Israeli born Jews don't even look white, they have more of an olive skin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    No he is German and his father was a WW1 German soldier. They were forced to live in Poland for awhile, then Poland was overrun.
    So Max Eisenhardt (a.k.a. Erik Lehnsherr; Magneto) a German citizen ended up in a Jewish internment camp?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Many white jews are not born in Israel.

Many Israeli born Jews don't even look white, they have more of an olive skin
    I wonder if there are redheaded, green eyed, Albino Pygmy Jews too...

Mighty Member

I don’t have a strong opinion on this subject, but how reliable is this rumor anyway? Is it just random people talking on the internet or is there an official source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Don't know how I feel about a race swapped Magneto given how his ties to the Holocaust has so become integral to the character. But with the right casting and backstory it could work.

More open to a Black Xavier especially if Avery Brooks.
    He would make a good Xavier.

So Max Eisenhardt (a.k.a. Erik Lehnsherr; Magneto) a German citizen ended up in a Jewish internment camp?
    I'm assuming most of the German Jews in the Nazi internment camps were German citizens.

Mighty Member

Or from captured areas. Looking back at the the last page, I guess is speculation at this point.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Both characters are very specific in their history and motivations....if it is acceptable to change one of them then it is acceptable to change any of them.

How about we get a Chinese guy to play Wolverine and a Hispanic to play Colossus while we are at it. We can completely alter their backstories just because.

And then let's see how well that movie does...about as well as any of the FF movies Fox put out.

My point is they should honor the source material.
    Magneto is a case of where the source material might not be able to be honored, I have had this discussion on the forums before. Pretty much every holocaust survivor except probably very the youngest are dead or really old. Changing Magneto's background isn't just about creating diversity it is a case where a story is being told in "MCU 2024" and Magneto in the original form can't be used. MCU X-men can't purely tell the source material story because MCU is a clear different setting from the comics. MCU X-men, therefore, will be a reimagining of the X-men story. In reimagining something to fit a new time period logical changes can be made and you fix aspect that are broken. One of the aspect of the X-men that is broken is diversity and in the MCU they have chance to tell an X-men story without the constraints of 1963 America being racist and the creators smartly catering to its primary readership. If X-men was created today it wouldn't look like it does and we can pretty much back up that fact with none of the animated series, Fox movies or ultimate reboot have ever started with all white O5 group.

With that said if you can't tell Magneto exact story in the MCU(and remember the origin of mutants might not be same). Then it doesn't hurt to look at all options with Magneto. This story is a nonstory Marvel has just instead of going this casting call is only open to white people of this age range. They went an open casting call to any race for the role. It doesn't mean they are going to change Magneto or Professor X for sure but opens them up to be able to let's say, Meryl Streep, Michelle Yeoh and Denzel Washington to "audition" for the role. I am 99% sure that Magneto will keep his background but 1% that he is different if they get actor the caliber of Denzel Washington and they go okay let's tailor this role and story for the actor. Now, remember the other factors the initial generation X-men isn't diverse and Magneto background will have to be altered in some manner different from the original story. That is how you get a different Magneto it is more than hey let change him for changing him sake.

The X-men in the MCU is going to be drastically different the comics in some areas. It is going to have to be a reinterpretation of the source material because of the setting. They are cases for other characters and things as well there is Kwannon case where you skip Betsy side now. There is a case for Namor being around and being more Asian looking in appearance. There is a case for Kitty being openly bisexual or lesbian in X-men movies. There is a case for a different original five students or maybe it is original seven now Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Namor, Iceman, Angel, and Beast. There is a case for Gambit being Creole. It is not just Magneto when a logical change is available it bears investigating.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-14-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Killerbee911;4566683]I am 99% sure that Magneto will keep his background but 1% that he is different if they get actor the caliber of Denzel Washington and they go okay let's tailor this role and story for the actorQUOTE]

This just made me think viola Davis as magneto.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This just made me think viola Davis as magneto.
    I think that is the point of open casting Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Viola Davis,Michelle Yeoh, Jean Carlo Esposito,Oscar Isaac,Sterling K. Brown,Javier Bardem are around. Would you change Xavier or Magneto if the caliber actor is around to elevate the role

Since Hamilton was so great I'm pretty much colorblind to racelift if it gives more opportunities to more actors.
    Nothing prevents Magneto to be black and jewish and german or american. (Because, color of the skin, religion and nationality are still three different things)

I’d rather see a gay Magneto. Of course he can be gay and black, but we know that’s not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I’d rather see a gay Magneto. Of course he can be gay and black, but we know that’s not gonna happen.
    Nothing about McKellan's version screamed "straight guy."
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia