View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

148 79.57%
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

It says person of color, that does not automatically mean a black person will be cast.

Also, Jewish people come in a range of races so changing his race means he still can (and should be) Jewish.

Keep his backstory tied to WW2. Just have it that mutants age slower, it's a simple thing that fixes most problems.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-13-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Get the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!

Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

I don’t care if he’s white or black, but I expect a lot of discontent from some people about the fact that a black character will be a (main) villain.

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Stan said what people wanted him say. Claremont, who is responsible for making Magneto this amazing character people fell in love with, which also required a drastic change from that forgettable Doom's mutant substitute Stan wrote, said he based him off Menachem Begin.
    agreed. it was Chris not Stan that fully mastermind the mutant ethnic minority allegory angle. the comics don't lie.

Days of future past
    God loves, man kills,
    mutant genesis
    the mutant massacre

some of the best classic stories of the racism and prejudice mutants face and had to overcome were all written by Claremont.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-13-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Stan said what people wanted him say. Claremont, who is responsible for making Magneto this amazing character people fell in love with, which also required a drastic change from that forgettable Doom's mutant substitute Stan wrote, said he based him off Menachem Begin.
    Most people don’t know Begin who was one of the founders of Israel as a terrorist turned state builder and leader. Yes, that would be Claremont’s Magneto.

This would have been Stan’s.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    I don’t care if he’s white or black, but I expect a lot of discontent from some people about the fact that a black character will be a (main) villain.
    Killmonger was a main villain. and if they make professor x a person of color as well i don't really see the problem. As a black person myself i would be happy to have a black person finally get a major leading role as a villain but Magneto isn't strictly a villain either way imo. I don't want to see any race portrayed just one way.

I think the real problem will be if Xavier is white. A white male trying to tell a black person how to deal with discrimination is not going to go over well.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

Magneto is a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust, who was forced to be a sonderkommando until he was able to escape with Magda. That part of his identity should be maintained no matter the adaption, or you just get Ultimate Magneto (a hollow shell of the original). If he is cast with a black actor, I still expect him to be Jewish. And before anyone says it, black people were living in Europe during WWII, and they can be Jewish. Also, just say that he was held in Hydra captivity like Bucky, his powers allow him to age slower, or he had a mutant de-age him. If they can keep Captain America, they can keep Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Killmonger was a main villain. and if they make professor x a person of color as well i don't really see the problem. As a black person myself i would be happy to have a black person finally get a major leading role as a villain but Magneto isn't strictly a villain either way imo. I don't want to see any race portrayed just one way.

I think the real problem will be if Xavier is white. A white male trying to tell a black person how to deal with discrimination is not going to go over well.
    Agreed. Magneto is a popular character, and seen as an anti-hero by damn near everyone nowadays. Even if he is a villain, i'd rather have a good memorable black villain than a token black character that serves as wallpaper just so it can be said there's a black person include *cough*Storm*cough.*

And also, YES. If Xavier is white & Magneto is black, that is gonna cause an issue for the reason you said. lol And sadly, I could see a filmmaker being so ignorant that they either don't see that or hope nobody will notice, until the film is out & getting a lot of backlash where they try to deflect heat & defend themselves on the casting choices.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    Magneto is a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust, who was forced to be a sonderkommando until he was able to escape with Magda. That part of his identity should be maintained no matter the adaption, or you just get Ultimate Magneto (a hollow shell of the original). If he is cast with a black actor, I still expect him to be Jewish. And before anyone says it, black people were living in Europe during WWII, and they can be Jewish. Also, just say that he was held in Hydra captivity like Bucky, his powers allow him to age slower, or he had a mutant de-age him. If they can keep Captain America, they can keep Magneto.
    Maybe its best they make him half black and half white jew. cast a mixed race actor, who can look both white and black like Meghan Markle .

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marv...152100000.html
    Marvel Might Cast a Person of Color as Magneto in ‘X-Men’ Reboot

Okay! yay! Magneto is already a jew from the holocaust era that is essential and defines the core character. Is it really necessary to make him black?

Also if he is black then it means he may not be the biological father of Wanda and Pietro. One thing I know comic fans hated was when they stripped Pietro and Wanda from their mutant heritage as Magneto's kids. I thought this was one of the things to be happy about with xmen in the mcu since they will get to be his kids again and mutants. MCU has not defined what Wanda is.this was done with the hopes they will have Magneto in the future.

More importantly, I also fear this may protect the movie from any legitimate criticism that may be deserving. we have already since this with captain marvel and black panther. the racist and sexiest names are thrown if you say these movies were not the best of the genre even when you use some scenes in the films to make your points convincingly clear.

Ian Mckellen and Michael Fassender would be had to top as Magneto, whoever comes next should get a fair chance to be judged alongside them based on the merits of their performance without any poltical agenda or superficial political correctness. I am afraid if they make Magneto black, this will not happen because if you did not like the character, you are automatically racist. sadly this is the culture we now live in.

Another thing again is if they make Magneto black they will just repolish the black panther script to address any themes of racism in xmen. I don't think the script of black panther was good enough for a a xmen screenplay. My take is, I will be fine and cool with Magneto as a black man but I will say keep him jewish white and bring in Bishop instead as a main black lead in the movies or Sunfire or just make Warpath a black native American since Warpath already has a dark skin tone.

If they use the Grant Morrison take of focusing on the strong xmen boarding school story background. Have many young black characters in the films who would more more than glorified extras.

You talk about this community of marvel fans as if were all toxic, and cant handle civil conversation. that simply is not true. there are fans who dislike movies such as captain marvel and black panther for unfair, discriminatory reasons that stem from bigotry. But there are not that many of them. There are fans out there who will defend Captain Marvel and Black Panther tooth and nail, calling anyone who speaks against those films racist and sexist. This overcorrection is not healthy or intelligent either. Thing is, there are not that many fans who fit this description either. The reality of the situation is that the far-right and far-left in the fan base are toxic, but they are greatly outnumbered by those of us who like the movies for what they are within the universe, not the political agenda they do or do not serve in the real world. This is a world of superheroes, not Fox News or CNN. I believe that a characters race and/or gender should not be tampered with IF that hero's character is strongly influenced by their racial or sexual identity. A character like Magneto has an identity as a holocaust survivor, a jewish kid. making him black would not add or detract from that. Therefore, unless you cast an African-American actor who is leagues above all other actors in the running for the role, please make him look comic book accurate. Someone like wolverine however, I would like to add, could be black or indian or Native-American and it wouldn't really matter. His racial identity simply is not important so cast whoever is best for the role, regardless of skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Wasn't Magneto supposedly based on Malcolm X?

If so, we now know what role Denzel Washington could potentially play.
    No. He was based on Dr. Doom originally. Only under Claremont did Mags become more grey morally speaking.

I still really like the idea of a biracial Magneto who's the child of a Survivor and raised behind the Iron Curtain. He'd grow up traumatized, stigmatized, ostracized, and entirely disenfranchised. Realizing his status not as a freak of nature but as a forerunner of Homo Sapiens Superior would catapult him into enthusiastically embracing the mutant identity and community, and into panic mode as its leader and savior when he realizes how much mutants will be hunted, exploited, and dehumanized.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Sadly many are just ignorant. lol You STILL have people calling Ricky x Lucy tv's first interracial relationship. LMAO!!! That was Tom x Helen.

It would help it classes taught the difference between race, nationality, ethnicity, and religion / practice.
    Well, it would help if some of those terms were not changing every few years and even then there is never any agreement. So I would not be so quick to call it ignorance, the terms have always meant what they meant to people at the time, and to people at the time such a relationship was groundbreaking, until it wasn't.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I really hope they do not change his race. If MCU wants more diversity incorporate black characters that already exist or create new ones.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I really hope they do not change his race. If MCU wants more diversity incorporate black characters that already exist or create new ones.
    Agreed. The X-Men has some great black characters already and the MCU can make new ones as well. I am not a fan of changing the race of previously established characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    More importantly, I also fear this may protect the movie from any legitimate criticism that may be deserving. we have already since this with captain marvel and black panther. the racist and sexiest names are thrown if you say these movies were not the best of the genre even when you use some scenes in the films to make your points convincingly clear.
    Good god are y’all still on this??