View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

    38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

    148 79.57%
Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 667
  1. #571
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Read through this thread and its pretty clear that a large chunk of it is people who have little care for comics and are more concern for either being spiteful or pushing their personal world views. Instead of caring about the story, the characters, and actual history of medium.

    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially left overs instead of asking why not Push Storm, Bishop, Monet, Gentle or some other character that is actually Black. I mean does anyone else not see how potentially screwed up that is? As a black guy my current opinion of switching one of the Whitest of White dudes (Charles Xavier) and Marvels white Jewish Poster Child for the Holocaust (Magneto) to black men, and then turn around pretend that those doing it don't have prejudice or racial bias of their own is silly.

    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. White Jews aren't diverse enough
    2. Black people will/should take whatever we had to them.
    3. White Jewish history can be brushed a side.
    4. The masses are either to busy, stupid, or gullible to question it.
    5. They are basically forced to see it, if not we can call them racist or closed minded if they don't.
    6. Comic Books as a medium is trash so it's own history and culture does not need to be respected.
    7. What we make they will buy/consume anyway because we are in control.


    That is the thought process for a decision to change Charles and Magneto anything outside of their natural appearance. You can't tell me that when the meeting of studio executives is held for X-Men and the item comes across the table for Charles and Magneto to be changed to black men that those answers will not be flying across the room. And they aren't the racist ones? Please.

    Whatever, things keeping going how their going with the comic industry, we will only have a few years left anyway.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-28-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  2. #572
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,214

    Default

    This guy gets it!
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  3. #573
    Master of Magnetism Magneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Read through this thread and its pretty clear that a large chunk of it is people who have little care for comics and are more concern for either being spiteful or pushing their personal world views. Instead of caring about the story, the characters, and actual history of medium.

    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially left overs instead of asking why not Push Storm, Bishop, Monet, Gentle or some other character that is actually Black. I mean does anyone else not see how potentially screwed up that is? As a black guy my current opinion of switching one of the Whitest of White dudes (Charles Xavier) and Marvels white Jewish Poster Child for the Holocaust (Magneto) to black men, and then turn around pretend that those doing it don't have prejudice or racial bias of their own is silly.

    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. White Jews aren't diverse enough
    2. Black people will/should take whatever we had to them.
    3. White Jewish history can be brushed a side.
    4. The masses are either to busy, stupid, or gullible to question it.
    5. They are basically forced to see it, if not we can call them racist or closed minded if they don't.
    6. Comic Books as a medium is trash so it's own history and culture does not need to be respected.
    7. What we make they will buy/consume anyway because we are in control.


    That is the thought process for a decision to change Charles and Magneto anything outside of their natural appearance. You can't tell me that when the meeting of studio executives is held for X-Men and the item comes across the table for Charles and Magneto to be changed to black men that those answers will not be flying across the room. And they aren't the racist ones? Please.

    Whatever, things keeping going how their going with the comic industry, we will only have a few years left anyway.
    Thank you!

  4. #574
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Read through this thread and its pretty clear that a large chunk of it is people who have little care for comics and are more concern for either being spiteful or pushing their personal world views. Instead of caring about the story, the characters, and actual history of medium.

    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially left overs instead of asking why not Push Storm, Bishop, Monet, Gentle or some other character that is actually Black. I mean does anyone else not see how potentially screwed up that is? As a black guy my current opinion of switching one of the Whitest of White dudes (Charles Xavier) and Marvels white Jewish Poster Child for the Holocaust (Magneto) to black men, and then turn around pretend that those doing it don't have prejudice or racial bias of their own is silly.

    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. White Jews aren't diverse enough
    2. Black people will/should take whatever we had to them.
    3. White Jewish history can be brushed a side.
    4. The masses are either to busy, stupid, or gullible to question it.
    5. They are basically forced to see it, if not we can call them racist or closed minded if they don't.
    6. Comic Books as a medium is trash so it's own history and culture does not need to be respected.
    7. What we make they will buy/consume anyway because we are in control.


    That is the thought process for a decision to change Charles and Magneto anything outside of their natural appearance. You can't tell me that when the meeting of studio executives is held for X-Men and the item comes across the table for Charles and Magneto to be changed to black men that those answers will not be flying across the room. And they aren't the racist ones? Please.

    Whatever, things keeping going how their going with the comic industry, we will only have a few years left anyway.
    Yay, can't wait to see the meltdown when it happens.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  5. #575
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    .
    You mean the people clamoring to leave Magneto's backstory unrevised despite bit being nonsensical in upcoming movies? Yes I agree
    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially
    The Question to why not push those chars has been addressed. Might have skipped those pages? Eh the people suddenly caring that Magneto remain how he is are....
    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. None of the previous actors have been Jewish. Michael Fassbender as Magneto is not an example of diversity
    2. If it's a reflection of the growing concern of inclusion...then all people should accept it
    3. Uh how? If you're Getting your Jewish history from a comic book movie...you have bigger problems
    4. Or Both!
    5. Well...
    6. You say trash I say fluid
    7. This is True.

    Hmmm it seems no one cares when one of the very few minority characters are whitewashed. But they come out in droves when a white character is rumored to gain a darker Skin hue
    Let's make them as diverse as possible!!!
    GrindrStone(D)

  6. #576
    Fantastic Member Stormultt Divine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Read through this thread and its pretty clear that a large chunk of it is people who have little care for comics and are more concern for either being spiteful or pushing their personal world views. Instead of caring about the story, the characters, and actual history of medium.

    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially left overs instead of asking why not Push Storm, Bishop, Monet, Gentle or some other character that is actually Black. I mean does anyone else not see how potentially screwed up that is? As a black guy my current opinion of switching one of the Whitest of White dudes (Charles Xavier) and Marvels white Jewish Poster Child for the Holocaust (Magneto) to black men, and then turn around pretend that those doing it don't have prejudice or racial bias of their own is silly.

    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. White Jews aren't diverse enough
    2. Black people will/should take whatever we had to them.
    3. White Jewish history can be brushed a side.
    4. The masses are either to busy, stupid, or gullible to question it.
    5. They are basically forced to see it, if not we can call them racist or closed minded if they don't.
    6. Comic Books as a medium is trash so it's own history and culture does not need to be respected.
    7. What we make they will buy/consume anyway because we are in control.


    That is the thought process for a decision to change Charles and Magneto anything outside of their natural appearance. You can't tell me that when the meeting of studio executives is held for X-Men and the item comes across the table for Charles and Magneto to be changed to black men that those answers will not be flying across the room. And they aren't the racist ones? Please.

    Whatever, things keeping going how their going with the comic industry, we will only have a few years left anyway.
    Agreed. Period point blankT.

    I mean if it happens though, hooray.
    But it's gonna open a can of worms and I'm not tryna see folk whining all over youtube and social media just ugh, stick to the script girls and see about writing an actual good script
    than what race you're tryna pick out for Eric at Races R Us.
    Last edited by Stormultt Divine; 09-28-2019 at 11:48 AM.

  7. #577
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    You mean the people clamoring to leave Magneto's backstory unrevised despite bit being nonsensical in upcoming movies? Yes I agree
    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially
    The Question to why not push those chars has been addressed. Might have skipped those pages? Eh the people suddenly caring that Magneto remain how he is are....
    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. None of the previous actors have been Jewish. Michael Fassbender as Magneto is not an example of diversity
    2. If it's a reflection of the growing concern of inclusion...then all people should accept it
    3. Uh how? If you're Getting your Jewish history from a comic book movie...you have bigger problems
    4. Or Both!
    5. Well...
    6. You say trash I say fluid
    7. This is True.

    Hmmm it seems no one cares when one of the very few minority characters are whitewashed. But they come out in droves when a white character is rumored to gain a darker Skin hue
    Let's make them as diverse as possible!!!
    I was going to waste my time with your last point but felt it was pointless. When white actors are cast in roles of historical figures of another race people claim they are simply casting the best actor but when an actor of color takes a role of a fictional character "Black people are trying to take everything we have. Oh god help us, the slaves are trying to take everything we forced them to build."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  8. #578
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,214

    Default

    It doesn’t have to be an Ashkenazi Jewish actor but it does have to be somebody who can pass for Ashkenazi Jewish. That is why Michael Fassbender worked in the role. Also it is bs to claim that people are fine with casting white actors in a nonwhite historical role. People like myself are consistent on calling for people who look like the role being played.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  9. #579
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I was going to waste my time with your last point but felt it was pointless. When white actors are cast in roles of historical figures of another race people claim they are simply casting the best actor but when an actor of color takes a role of a fictional character "Black people are trying to take everything we have. Oh god help us, the slaves are trying to take everything we forced them to build."
    We're saying the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It doesn’t have to be an Ashkenazi Jewish actor but it does have to be somebody who can pass for Ashkenazi Jewish. That is why Michael Fassbender worked in the role. Also it is bs to claim that people are fine with casting white actors in a nonwhite historical role. People like myself are consistent on calling for people who look like the role being played.
    It's significantly less than when a white character is replaced
    GrindrStone(D)

  10. #580
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,214

    Default

    Name any time a minority character was whitewashed in recent years and there wasn’t severe backlash.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  11. #581
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Name any time a minority character was whitewashed in recent years and there wasn’t severe backlash.
    Let me know when Jesus isn't a straight-haired white man instead of a dark skin man with hair like sheep wool as the bible says. Lol

    Or all the white women they let be Cleopatra when Egyptian paintings had her as a woman of color with full features. In addition to white actors in general playing ancient egyptians.

    Sunspot is white in films & whitewashing him & Monet gets defended because "well they shouldn't be black because blah blah" despite the fact at the end of the day they were, and had it erased for years.

    Half-white women playing Storm. If it was enough pushback, it wouldn't happened.

    But have black playing white, and Hell breaks loose. Like the Little Mermaid controversy now

  12. #582
    Magneto-centric Rivka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Read through this thread and its pretty clear that a large chunk of it is people who have little care for comics and are more concern for either being spiteful or pushing their personal world views. Instead of caring about the story, the characters, and actual history of medium.

    It is also somewhat sad that some seem so eager to accept essentially left overs instead of asking why not Push Storm, Bishop, Monet, Gentle or some other character that is actually Black. I mean does anyone else not see how potentially screwed up that is? As a black guy my current opinion of switching one of the Whitest of White dudes (Charles Xavier) and Marvels white Jewish Poster Child for the Holocaust (Magneto) to black men, and then turn around pretend that those doing it don't have prejudice or racial bias of their own is silly.

    I mean the implications in that whole proposal is messed up:
    1. White Jews aren't diverse enough
    2. Black people will/should take whatever we had to them.
    3. White Jewish history can be brushed a side.
    4. The masses are either to busy, stupid, or gullible to question it.
    5. They are basically forced to see it, if not we can call them racist or closed minded if they don't.
    6. Comic Books as a medium is trash so it's own history and culture does not need to be respected.
    7. What we make they will buy/consume anyway because we are in control.


    That is the thought process for a decision to change Charles and Magneto anything outside of their natural appearance. You can't tell me that when the meeting of studio executives is held for X-Men and the item comes across the table for Charles and Magneto to be changed to black men that those answers will not be flying across the room. And they aren't the racist ones? Please.

    Whatever, things keeping going how their going with the comic industry, we will only have a few years left anyway.
    Perfectly said.

  13. #583
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    We're saying the same thing?
    It's significantly less than when a white character is replaced
    I implied we were? I may be taking it too literal it's the question mark.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-28-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  14. #584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Let me know when Jesus isn't a straight-haired white man instead of a dark skin man with hair like sheep wool as the bible says. Lol

    Or all the white women they let be Cleopatra when Egyptian paintings had her as a woman of color with full features. In addition to white actors in general playing ancient egyptians.

    Sunspot is white in films & whitewashing him & Monet gets defended because "well they shouldn't be black because blah blah" despite the fact at the end of the day they were, and had it erased for years.

    Half-white women playing Storm. If it was enough pushback, it wouldn't happened.

    But have black playing white, and Hell breaks loose. Like the Little Mermaid controversy now
    But you do realize this is the very reason I refused to pay money at the theatre to watch Ghost in the Machine, an anime that I actually love, because there was no logical or good reason for not using an Asian actress in this role.

    White actresses like Scarlett Johansson are making me ill because of the way they act all indignant when they are confronted about the hypocrisy of their white washing.

    I agree with you that Monet, Sunspot, Prodigy, Storm, Bishop, etc.. should all be black actors, all of them.

    Just as I think Kitty Pryde, Lorna Dane, and Erik Lehnsherr should be presented as white and Jewish in the movies. If they are played by a non-Jewish actor they should still look the part and their Judaism should not be ignored.

    All of the Native American characters should like Forge and Dani should all be played by Native American actors.

    All of the Asian characters should be played by the actors that match up with them, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc...

    Proper representation of diversity is to feature the actual characters that represent said diversity. So when you do a team movie bring in the actual diverse characters you have available in the entire roster of the X-Men.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

  15. #585
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Michaela Coel.

    Attachment 87598
    Sold!


    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I was going to waste my time with your last point but felt it was pointless. When white actors are cast in roles of historical figures of another race people claim they are simply casting the best actor but when an actor of color takes a role of a fictional character "Black people are trying to take everything we have. Oh god help us, the slaves are trying to take everything we forced them to build."
    are you kidding?

    I'd kill to make Cyclops and Havoc either Black or Aleutian. I think it might give them some additional flavor they need.

    Make Wolverine at least part Cree, and the character still works (and seeing is he's from central Alberta, that's the first nation group you could use).

    Magneto is different and as said before, he's a Yekki and taking that away is just as insulting as changing the background of Storm, Colossus, Jubilee (don't get me started about the tv series they managed to fail even with Matt Fruher in it), Magik, Nightcrawler, and those are off the top of my head that I wouldn't change because we would lose something special.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •