View Poll Results: Should they change Magneto's race

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Make him Black

    38 20.43%
  • No: Keep him Jewish White

    148 79.57%
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 667
  1. #61
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    9,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think this choice would go even over his head. This, if i'm honest sounds like a directive from the president of disney's outreach and diversification unit.


    And i say that because it's that unbelievable to me that anyone at marvel on any level was like "Let's make Magneto black" Which is sad but i honestly can't imagine it.
    From a purely cynical standpoint, I can see it after all the accolades, Oscars and $$$ won by Black Panther.

  2. #62
    Embrace the Fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    By not adapting it.
    Wouldn't that trigger a super ugly 'who was the biggest victim' debate, though?

  3. #63
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    They say it's a person of colour (bleh).

    Get Amitabh Bachchan.
    "Cable was right!"

  4. #64
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    What makes Magneto's origin so brilliant (the way it is) is how multilayered it is and thoughtful it is and his seemingly perfect European appearance being an integral part of that. He, like many other "white" Jews in the camps, was put in there for being presumably lesser being, the untermensch, and they used eugenics to justify this theses. But it turned out, they put in the camp a future to be handsome, tall, blue eyed, white man. And not only that, he also turned to be a literal ubermensch. This supposedly unworthy Jew was more of "Aryan" (by characteristics) than most of the Third Reich leadership ever dreamed to be. He was a literal proof of how defective and faulty their doctrines are.
    Huh?! They going to fit all that exposition and history and research in a 10-15 minute backstory. Someone presenting this to me at marvel i'd be all "Oh yeah, we definitely going black." lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  5. #65
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The problem that comes in with that sometimes is the role and the space. If they keep the 05 all white and then magneto and professor x that is already 7 characters that are white and you can only focus on but so many characters. So even beyond a PC point of view if you are trying to do a diverse cast in that respect either a lot of people's favorite character is going to get left out in the name of diversity, which in this case would be some pretty important characters or you adjust those characters to add the diversity you need. And in the grand scheme of things the greater audience don't care about the comics or how the characters look in comics it's the comic fans that care and they aren't going to bring in the revenue Disney wants to see so it's easier to just diversify the existing ones. For me if the characters race doesn't play a big deal and their are already 7 white characters that potentially take up spots i don't see the problem.
    Unfortunately the xmen are predominantly white. That is just a fact but I dont think the way to go would be changing these iconic characters races for the sake of diversity. There are ways they can do it instead of the easy and non-creative way which is color-washing white characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    From one black guy to another. Why? Super curious. You can even PM if you want. Especially when it doesn't change anything about him.
    but it would. his experience as a Jewish man whose family died as a result of the holocaust is unique to him in that fashion.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    They say it's a person of colour (bleh).

    Get Amitabh Bachchan.
    He looks so close to white in the imagery it would be better off just keeping him the same. You got any other shades?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  7. #67
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Well that was rude. Damn.
    "Cable was right!"

  8. #68
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Him being Native, Latino or Muslim makes more sense than him being white.
    “Muslim” isn’t a race and “Latino” is an ethnicity. The only reason I’d prefer Magneto being white to being indigenous is because of the type of oppression he faced.

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Unfortunately the xmen are predominantly white. That is just a fact but I dont think the way to go would be changing these iconic characters races for the sake of diversity. There are ways they can do it instead of the easy and non-creative way which is color-washing white characters.



    but it would. his experience as a Jewish man whose family died as a result of the holocaust is unique to him in that fashion.
    I disagree. That's all i can say. I fully see your view and in historical cases i agree but fictional... and nothing about magneto's specific experience says "only a white man" so i don't think that bridge is going to be crossed.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  10. #70
    Amazing Member PoP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    79

    Default

    idc. whatever they choose will be entertaining and cool

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Well that was rude. Damn.
    I didn't mean it to be rude. I literally thought cool but can we go darker. If it was Cory Booker i would have said the same thing.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  12. #72
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    9,492

    Default

    TBF they've already (kind of) done the Black Magneto bit with Killmonger. Xavier would actually be the more groundbreaking role for a POC.

  13. #73
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    “Muslim” isn’t a race and “Latino” is an ethnicity. The only reason I’d prefer Magneto being white to being indigenous is because of the type of oppression he faced.
    yes his experience is unique in that manner and would be diluted of he wasnt Jewish.

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I disagree. That's all i can say. I fully see your view and in historical cases i agree but fictional... and nothing about magneto's specific experience says "only a white man" so i don't think that bridge is going to be crossed.
    a big part of how magneto became a villain was due to the holocaust. the horrors of that event drove him to fight for a world without humanity. also the idea of the villain being a person of color while the "saviors" are lily white sends another horrible message, which was also perpetuated by the fox-men. again, the creative team at mcu have to think of ways to make diversity without distorting the histories of the characters that have been around since before many of us were even born.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  14. #74
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yes his experience is unique in that manner and would be diluted of he wasnt Jewish.



    a big part of how magneto became a villain was due to the holocaust. the horrors of that event drove him to fight for a world without humanity. also the idea of the villain being a person of color while the "saviors" are lily white sends another horrible message, which was also perpetuated by the fox-men. again, the creative team at mcu have to think of ways to make diversity without distorting the histories of the characters that have been around since before many of us were even born.
    but what does being Jewish have to do to with being white? Who said anything about him not being jewish? Why do you think there are only white jews?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  15. #75
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    As long as the sexual tension between him and Xavier is there they can do whatever they want.

    But I highly doubt that they would go that route with Mags. Xavier seems like the more obvious of the two to race bent.
    I want to see Lilandra and Xavier as a couple instead. Never liked with Moria much, although they were cute in first class.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •